reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Halo_003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, are any of you using a Pi Zero wireless exclusively to control only lighting? I have one sitting around and I was thinking it could be cool to put it to use but only to control LEDs.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, are any of you using a Pi Zero wireless exclusively to control only lighting? I have one sitting around and I was thinking it could be cool to put it to use but only to control LEDs.

I believe @Bigtrout uses a Pi Zero to control his lights. However, he uses the same Pi Zero to control a number of other things too.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO issue - It seems that reef-pi gets to the limit of alerts in an hour and then when the clock resets at the top of the hour it sends out alerts from the previous hour that weren't sent. Since my last post, I have been recieving 10 alerts every hour, on the hour, but they are comparing previous usage to current alert usage limit.

I don't have the ATO Disable on Alert , because I want my ATO to keep working.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pi zero w to control it all...4 pwm channels for lights, 3 temp sensors, 2 of those running heaters, 6 other equipment outlets, ph probe(2 when I tested a board for @Michael Lane and macros. I also send feeds to adafruit. The zero doesnt even break a sweat.
Memory runs at 8 percent used and cpu rarely even goes to 1 percent.

Halo_003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pi zero w to control it all...4 pwm channels for lights, 3 temp sensors, 2 of those running heaters, 6 other equipment outlets, ph probe(2 when I tested a board for @Michael Lane and macros. I also send feeds to adafruit. The zero doesnt even break a sweat.
Memory runs at 8 percent used and cpu rarely even goes to 1 percent.
Thanks! I'm looking at using it to control 4-8 channels of lights, fan, and temp sensors. The reason I asked is I'd like to have the light completely separate from anything else.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib @Michael Lane

As a test, I have just set my ATO to alert after 20 seconds use and I'm getting alerts. I set it to disable and it disabled.

As a second test I changed the alert time because my usage had obviously changed and troggered float switch to run ATO Pump. It didn't trigger alert or disable. Tried another 3 times and didn't work any of them. I think there is a bug here.

Definitely worked the first time, but not again since.
Yes.. it has to be a bug if its reproducible. Can you share the details like check period and alert threshold for the scenarios where its not working consistently? We discussed this earlier and I was not able to reproduce it with my setup. I was using 5s check period.

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Ranjib - I'm having trouble getting my PH probe set up and was wondering if you had any idea as to what I'm doing wrong.

I'm using Michael Lanes reefpi gobi hat with a PI zero. As for PH I'm using Atlas's carrier board and PH module.

I got it set to i2c (blue light) but when I go to the PH tab and hit the add (+) button, there is nothing showing in the Analog Input dropdown.

Any idea?

Also I have o errors but this shows up when I first load the page, I think it's because I dont have anything configured on myy dashboard yet. {"error":"stats for id: '1' not found"} | HTTP 404

ahnuts72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.. it has to be a bug if its reproducible. Can you share the details like check period and alert threshold for the scenarios where its not working consistently? We discussed this earlier and I was not able to reproduce it with my setup. I was using 5s check period.

Here's mine @Ranjib
No matter how i set it up it wont disable the pump and i get no notifications at all but i get them for temp errors and the test notification so I know I'm setup right to get them.

ATO.png

ntableman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
randomly stumbled upon this because I am trying to generate a 0-10v apex like control from my system to manage the speed of my pumps. I am slowly getting rid of ecotech stuff because it is so closed. So a new pump on the way takes apex style 0-10v. Anyway...

Here is my setup...in case it helps anyone who wants to DIY it. I'll get around to putting the code and detail on GitHub.

It measures the main parameters, watches the sump level, pump details and other instrumentations so I can start and stop things as needed.

For example, I have a process on the RPi in Node-red that turn on and off the heaters. But I have a second process on the Ubuntu system that watches this information as a backup process. All of these are on UPS. I recognize this is a bit extreme :) but...don't judge! HAHAHA!

My favorite part is how I can control everything in HomeKit, so when I go to the basement to check on something I can turn things on and off on my phone.

Also, since this is mostly mediated by MQTT I can create synthetic devices. For example, I have a device called "do swap" and that turns off the pump, stops the heaters, and a bunch of other things and then turns on an evacuation pump for 15 min. Then turns on a pump to put saltwater back into the sump. But it only does this if the swap salt is close to the same SG/pH/Temp as the tank.

Once you instrument...you can do lots of stuff!

If anyone is interested I can detail out the sensors and wiring and other things.

My goal is to make this easier on the next person! So ask away...

Blank Diagram.png

cnidus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the remote sensor has a wifi based api we can easily integrate. Its also possible that we can have reef-pi hal driver that will allow using one reef-pi's sensor data to be consumed by another reef-pi.

Cool! I was thinking this https://www.ebay.com/i/133209331811...Ub6SXDlbZpsqMvc6WyqyfcCn1TUytqbhoCowIQAvD_BwE

Seems to have mixed reviews related to wifi being only 2.4ghz... but its cheap and might be an interesting option for AWC from the mixing station. (like what BRS are doing with Neptune DOS setups).

I could see using a 2nd reef-pi though and somehow linking the two, that would be cool. For example using the tank's reef-pi sump sensors to measure levels, but have dosing pumps at the mix station and also monitor levles of the reservoirs.

ntableman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I was thinking this https://www.ebay.com/i/133209331811...Ub6SXDlbZpsqMvc6WyqyfcCn1TUytqbhoCowIQAvD_BwE

Seems to have mixed reviews related to wifi being only 2.4ghz... but its cheap and might be an interesting option for AWC from the mixing station. (like what BRS are doing with Neptune DOS setups).

I could see using a 2nd reef-pi though and somehow linking the two, that would be cool. For example using the tank's reef-pi sump sensors to measure levels, but have dosing pumps at the mix station and also monitor levles of the reservoirs.

I have a Bubble Magus sitting the old-stuff pile; need to get all that stuff a new home. What I found works the best is Atlas dosing pumps, work like a charm for me. I cannot do this closed and proprietary stuff anymore...I am sick of dissecting it with my logic analyser and making a mess!

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just assembled my raspberry pi and installed reef pi and now I'm looking to make the power controller and I was wondering if there are any cheap alternatives to this power strip CLICK
I built my own from a $20 power strip and some relays. With my labor factored in, it cost me about $300 to build.

That $50 power strip is cheap.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I built my own from a $20 power strip and some relays. With my labor factored in, it cost me about $300 to build.

Haha amen. By the time I built my powerstrip, factoring in my time plus supplies... I would have gotten off cheap buying an HS300 lol. So for my second powerstrip, I did buy an HS300.

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dido. I just did both options, I bought one SR8 and made one custom relay 8 channel pack. By the time you buy the relay pack, db9 connectors, plugs, 3D print an enclosure (assuming you have an enclosure) you’re almost 50 bucks in and all you have is a box of parts at that point.

youngreefer10g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait im confused. So in the original post on adafruit it said we need a breadboard but in the power controller guide it says we need the hat. Do we need both? I already bought the breadboard.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back