reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll throw my 2 cents in to get this ball rolling..
Should be plug and pray..
Let others verify..

Probably need to unwrap that large ribbon cable so the 2 reach the board.
marq.JPG
That's exactly right. Unplug the 4 pin cables from the knobs and plug them into the adapter. Hook up GND from your rpi to the middle pin of the 3 pin connector, and a PWM signal to the other 2 pins on that connector.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly right. Unplug the 4 pin cables from the knobs and plug them into the adapter. Hook up GND from your rpi to the middle pin of the 3 pin connector, and a PWM signal to the other 2 pins on that connector.
Second one is a slave plug for other lights..
Just for clarity..

1572631413189-png.1268894

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the right idea, you just need to reverse the steps in your "Day On" and "Night On" Macros for it to work right. It needs to be written backwards in reverse state for it to work.

So "Day On" should read:
  1. Humidity Day -> Off
  2. Wait 60s (Or whatever value you want if you want that)
  3. Humidity Night -> On
So when the Timer triggers this macro, it will turn Humidity Night off, wait 1 minute then Humidity Day On.

It's a bit Bass Ackwards I know, but that 's how it works at the moment. The Dev's are working on sorting it out though from what I know
soo...
dont know if it works like it has to.. now i mis my readings between the selected "night" time.
1591082158755.png

so it just stops at 18 and starts at 8 in the morning...

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
soo...
dont know if it works like it has to.. now i mis my readings between the selected "night" time.
1591082158755.png

You have two Humidity Controllers now. "Humidity day" can't record what "Humidity Night" does. Or put another way, "Humidity Night" cany show values from when it's off.

Maybe setup another Humidity monitor that doesn't get turned off, but doesn't control anything and use that for continuous display.

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have two Humidity Controllers now. "Humidity day" can't record what "Humidity Night" does. Or put another way, "Humidity Night" cany show values from when it's off.

Maybe setup another Humidity monitor that doesn't get turned off, but doesn't control anything and use that for continuous display.
ok so i see that with the macro the equipment changed to day and night! To have 1 graph that includes day and night i just add another PH monitor for the humidity! I think i got this! :D

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I reach out to xfinity tech support I was wondering if anyone else is using the xfi pods (xfinity's propitary mesh hardware) and having connection issues? I can only connect to iot devices if both devices are either connected to the same pod or at least one is connected to the gateway. For instance both my reefpi and my lights are connected to the basement pod. If my phone is connected to the bedroom or kitchen pods I cant connect. As I move downstairs my phone first moves to the gateway and am able to connect then to the basement pod and am able to connect. The strange thing is it does connect but so slow it wont load completley. Does the same with SSH and other IOT's I have. I been through all the settings and dont see anything useful.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Thursday I was updating my Raspberry when suddenly it rebooted (I had setup crontab to automatically reboot every day.... and I was so lucky it happened in the update). The update was still in progress.
The Operating System on the USB Pen Drive (I don't use the Micro SD) obviously crashed and the raspberry didn't reboot.
I formatted the Pen Drive, I installed Raspbian and I installed reef-pi 4.3.

I'm still waiting for the Rob's controller, so my Raspberry has 2 temperature sensor connected and 1 TP-Link HS110 smart plug is connected wifi by reef-pi.

With the old version (3.3.1) I NEVER had any kind of problem (except some Adafruit error logs I receive in Configuration --> Errors that I can understand. Temperature data are always updated on my io.adafruite space).

Right now I have the following troubles:

1) In the dashboard, the Equipment chart is not centered (see the first attached pic).

2) in 3 days I had 3 emails because of a temperature sensors failure.
The message are:

- For the temperature sensor INSIDE the fish tank: "Temperature sensor failure. Error:read /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-011921559d98/w1_slave: interrupted system call"

- For the temperature senser OUTSIDE the fish tank (it is "hidden" in the living room just to control the temperature of the room): "Temperature sensor failure. Error:read /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-011921d14102/w1_slave: interrupted system call".

The same error can be read in reef-pi (Configuration --> Errors (see the second attached pic)

Do you have any suggestions?

P.S.: I had the other errors in the log

Schermata 2020-05-30 alle 21.02.24.png Schermata 2020-05-30 alle 21.18.35.png
Did you revert back to older reef-pi or still having this issue ? I suspect it’s something to do with the newer raspbian

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey devs.

my reef-pi build seems to get laggy every few days and eventually seems to restart. Not sure what the trigger is, but memory use seems to sawtooth, so maybe some sort of memory leak?
0B67C220-C86D-4840-A2ED-60E06EAA8CAE.png

The reboot issue isn’t a terribly big deal For me, but is does highlight one other issue I think I need to fix: each time it crashes I lose control of the HS300.

@Ranjib I remember you saying there was a fix I could do for the network connectivity problem but couldn’t find it. Mind repeating what that was and I’ll add it to the manual while I’m at it.
Add a wait till network come up directive on systemd unit file. I’ll dig up the detail ...

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I reach out to xfinity tech support I was wondering if anyone else is using the xfi pods (xfinity's propitary mesh hardware) and having connection issues? I can only connect to iot devices if both devices are either connected to the same pod or at least one is connected to the gateway. For instance both my reefpi and my lights are connected to the basement pod. If my phone is connected to the bedroom or kitchen pods I cant connect. As I move downstairs my phone first moves to the gateway and am able to connect then to the basement pod and am able to connect. The strange thing is it does connect but so slow it wont load completley. Does the same with SSH and other IOT's I have. I been through all the settings and dont see anything useful.
What are the ips of the pods ? If they are Not on same subnet then That’s the first thing to fix. Are they all on the same ssid ?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
soo...
1591082158755.png

Let me think through this. I don’t know if we should do some trick with existing features or add new features,but this is an interesting problem

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates with the temp sensor issues, on my 3.3.1 unit that I updated to the latest Raspian ( which looks like they changed there name) I have no issues at all on temp sensors. I downgraded the reef-pi version on my other unit that was getting emails pretty regular and will report back on status. Looks like @Des Westcott did this already and has not had any error messages, I'm leaning more and more that this is not a OS upgrade issue but we will see how my down graded version does.

:)

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates with the temp sensor issues, on my 3.3.1 unit that I updated to the latest Raspian ( which looks like they changed there name) I have no issues at all on temp sensors. I downgraded the reef-pi version on my other unit that was getting emails pretty regular and will report back on status. Looks like @Des Westcott did this already and has not had any error messages, I'm leaning more and more that this is not a OS upgrade issue but we will see how my down graded version does.

:)

It's now 2 days since I downgraded to 3.3.1 and still no error messages. I was getting 3-5 a day.

cnidus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my hs300 wasn’t connecting, so I rebooted, then did a reload to get the network up (which usually works). This time it didn’t and I’m seeing these errors below.

I checked the IPs of the power strips haven’t changed and I can control them from the Kasa app.

What’s the troubleshooting steps for issues like this? Do I need to remove the devices, driver etc and start again? Revert to previous version
82D7851C-F70C-436D-931E-B65B745092D9.png

9C6C222F-128B-42AA-AD90-9ABC6FBD51A3.png

50505830-2E5D-460B-8ACB-8B7AD5D21030.png

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me think through this. I don’t know if we should do some trick with existing features or add new features,but this is an interesting problem
I added a "new" Ph sensor that includes day and night (graph center left) this fixes things... I do not know what the bump is... but the sensor currently is monitoring my shed so temperature can get weird. From time to time i get a sensor-lost error:
"Temperature sensor failure. Error:read /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-031197792f05/w1_slave: interrupted system call"

but i think this can be becaus i use a breadboard for the test (and until i get the robo-tank !)
1591178170495.png

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These issues are precisely why i am very much against wifi powerbars and searched so long to find a cable bound solution that i wouldn't have to diy. Just sucks that they are so convenient and almost the only thing sold these days.

If something is wrong with your router or the internet or wifi interference then you lose control. Not the best quality a life support system could have.

And i don't mean this as an attack on anybody.

Last edited:

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These issues are precisely why i am very much against wifi powerbars and searched so long to find a cable bound solution that i wouldn't have to diy. Just sucks that they are so convenient and almost the only thing sold these days.

If something is wrong with your router or the internet or wifi interference then you lose control. Not the best quality a life support system could have.

And i don't mean this as an attack on anybody.

Nothing is completely foolproof. I've had issues with the db9 connection on mine. Sometimes it wants to be wonky.

Back