reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks @Ranjib and @Michael Lane for this effort and work you put in this project! (and keeping this free to use for everybody!)

Is there a methode to update this on a running project? wil this influence existing macro's etc?

Edit; found an answer to my question! ;)

Now i get the error that there is no more room left on my device... Gues its full of sensor data...

Last edited:

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive minds,
I have just cut a new reef-pi release, 3.5. Its been almost 4 months sine the last stable reef-pi release and lot has piled up since then. Hence this release brings a handful of goodies. Key highlights are

New features:
  • Availability of ADS1015/ADS1115 series analog to digital converter. This will allow a wide range of analog sensor, including alternate temperature sensor, UV/Lux sensors, anemometers, VOC/CO2/Gas sensor and many more system to seamlessly integrate with reef-pi and used for controlling equipment.
  • We have introduced a special feature called "One Shot" in temperature , ph and ATO controllers. When enabled reef-pi will run the controller till the sensor reaches its target point instead of running perpetually. For example an one shot ATO controller will run the ATO pump till the sensor detect water level has reached the level and stop there. Same for temperature and ph, where the controller will stop soon the read reaches within min/max zone. When used within macro, this step will block the next step instead of running parallel. Intention of this feature is to help model auto water change and other scenarios.
  • Macros now have a new step called "alert". This can be used to send sms/email as part of a macro
  • Lighting module UI now support lunar, random and sine profile in addition to the existing ones (auto/interval, diurnal and fixed). Decimal/fractional values are also allowed in light profiles.
  • API documentations are now bundled with reef-pi code itself. The footer section in the UI will link to API documentation.

Bugfixes:
  • Pi 4 driver detection failures are resolved for upgraded raspberry pi os.
  • Temperature calibration bug was fixed
  • Equipment chart rendering bug was fixed
  • Temperature chart bounds are now removed, light chart rendering bug fixed.
  • Erroneous and out of acceptable range temperature sensor values are now ignored and retry logic has been implemented to address ds18b20 sensor reading issues.
Other than these critical features and bug fixes a number of tech chores across package updates, automated user acceptance test , performance improvement have also went in this release. I want to thank @Michael Lane from the bottom of my heart for his tireless contribution across drivers, backend and UI bugfixes. Without his work this release wont be happening in this challenging times.

Release builds are available in usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.5

Please help us make reef-pi better by testing and providing feedback. You all, including the pre-built hardware vendors, have been absolutely awesome and we appreciate your effort and interest in this project. You, the users and builders, constitute the best of this project.

Yours truly
ranjib on behalf of reef-pi development team.
Nice work,

But, is it intended to have the temperature graphs go from zero to some margin above the upper level now? Before i actually could see the swings, which was nice because tiny drops would tell me that the ATO was still functioning and the reservoir not empty, now it's all one unidentifiable blob. The same happens if i create a new temp sensor. Theres no 0-value in the graph, checking right now if theres one in the database, although there shouldn't be in my existing data.
1600242665593.png

edit: Nope, no 0 values in the db either

Last edited:

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!

I got my replacement relay board as the old one died on me, this one has an ULN2803 onboard, it's active high like the previous one.

I've wired it up and the board powers up, but as soon as I attempt to power a relay via the pi the board just switches off, the led of the corresponding relay briefly illuminates, the grounds are tied (I've not messed with anything) power supply is 12v 2amps, so should be enough for energise the relay coils.

IMG_20200910_153944.jpg
IMG_20200910_154018.jpg

Can't understand why it's not working properly, I've soldered the PSU wires and also the signal wires from the pi directly to the board.

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!

I got my replacement relay board as the old one died on me, this one has an ULN2803 onboard, it's active high like the previous one.

I've wired it up and the board powers up, but as soon as I attempt to power a relay via the pi the board just switches off, the led of the corresponding relay briefly illuminates, the grounds are tied (I've not messed with anything) power supply is 12v 2amps, so should be enough for energise the relay coils.

IMG_20200910_153944.jpg
IMG_20200910_154018.jpg

Can't understand why it's not working properly, I've soldered the PSU wires and also the signal wires from the pi directly to the board.
Ive had a simular problem. But with me it was because i played around with settings and had some outputts state high, after deleting the ports (and only adding them on the go as i needed them) they stayed up high and actet strange from time to time...) hard to explane... but are all connected ports configured on the pi?

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a simular problem. But with me it was because i played around with settings and had some outputts state high, after deleting the ports (and only adding them on the go as i needed them) they stayed up high and actet strange from time to time...) hard to explane... but are all connected ports configured on the pi?

Yes configuration is Ok, I think the ground which ties to the pi may have come out as the dosers aren't functioning, I'll need to check in the morning, the lights go out in around 90 minutes, I can check the continuity between the 12v PSU and the 48v PSU that run the lights on the same pi, then I can confirm if this need to investigate any further.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!

IMG_20200910_153944.jpg
IMG_20200910_154018.jpg

Can you share a photo of the entire setup ? I think it’s an wiring issue

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!

IMG_20200910_153944.jpg
IMG_20200910_154018.jpg

Measure everything. Does the input stay high? Does the power stay up? Is the coil on the relay receiving voltage?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work,

But, is it intended to have the temperature graphs go from zero to some margin above the upper level now? Before i actually could see the swings, which was nice because tiny drops would tell me that the ATO was still functioning and the reservoir not empty, now it's all one unidentifiable blob. The same happens if i create a new temp sensor. Theres no 0-value in the graph, checking right now if theres one in the database, although there shouldn't be in my existing data.
1600242665593.png

edit: Nope, no 0 values in the db either
This is an unintended consequence of the change i made (to remove min/max range from the graph), to address another request.

Clearly this is sub-optimal and we want to be able to see this graphs. Let me think through this. But fixes will only land in 3.6

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive minds,
I have just cut a new reef-pi release, 3.5. Its been almost 4 months sine the last stable reef-pi release and lot has piled up since then. Hence this release brings a handful of goodies. Key highlights are

New features:
  • Availability of ADS1015/ADS1115 series analog to digital converter. This will allow a wide range of analog sensor, including alternate temperature sensor, UV/Lux sensors, anemometers, VOC/CO2/Gas sensor and many more system to seamlessly integrate with reef-pi and used for controlling equipment.
  • We have introduced a special feature called "One Shot" in temperature , ph and ATO controllers. When enabled reef-pi will run the controller till the sensor reaches its target point instead of running perpetually. For example an one shot ATO controller will run the ATO pump till the sensor detect water level has reached the level and stop there. Same for temperature and ph, where the controller will stop soon the read reaches within min/max zone. When used within macro, this step will block the next step instead of running parallel. Intention of this feature is to help model auto water change and other scenarios.
  • Macros now have a new step called "alert". This can be used to send sms/email as part of a macro
  • Lighting module UI now support lunar, random and sine profile in addition to the existing ones (auto/interval, diurnal and fixed). Decimal/fractional values are also allowed in light profiles.
  • API documentations are now bundled with reef-pi code itself. The footer section in the UI will link to API documentation.

Bugfixes:
  • Pi 4 driver detection failures are resolved for upgraded raspberry pi os.
  • Temperature calibration bug was fixed
  • Equipment chart rendering bug was fixed
  • Temperature chart bounds are now removed, light chart rendering bug fixed.
  • Erroneous and out of acceptable range temperature sensor values are now ignored and retry logic has been implemented to address ds18b20 sensor reading issues.
Other than these critical features and bug fixes a number of tech chores across package updates, automated user acceptance test , performance improvement have also went in this release. I want to thank @Michael Lane from the bottom of my heart for his tireless contribution across drivers, backend and UI bugfixes. Without his work this release wont be happening in this challenging times.

Release builds are available in usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.5

Please help us make reef-pi better by testing and providing feedback. You all, including the pre-built hardware vendors, have been absolutely awesome and we appreciate your effort and interest in this project. You, the users and builders, constitute the best of this project.

Yours truly
ranjib on behalf of reef-pi development team.

Wow, thank-you @Ranjib and @Michael Lane for all the time you've put into this. It sounds amazing and that one shot feature should give it even more flexibility, the email alert in macros is a nice touch as well, great job!

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure everything. Does the input stay high? Does the power stay up? Is the coil on the relay receiving voltage?

I just checked that the grounds are tied and they are, so wiring is correct.

To test it I'll need to remove everything, going to a difficult one..

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib is there any way to bypass the 2 point calibration for sensors configured as PH sensor in this update?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib is there any way to bypass the 2 point calibration for sensors configured as PH sensor in this update?
What do you mean? You can always run ph probe without any calibration. Can you elaborate a bit?

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean? You can always run ph probe without any calibration. Can you elaborate a bit?

i use the PH tab for a humidity sensor. ( sht31d ) but the humidity in the tank says 100% when in fact it is 80% so its is of by 20%! i like to adjust this so it is whitin 5% correct.
1600324768029.png

Edit: Second Calibration problem XD:
1600325873498.png

Last edited:

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Temp isue with occilating houres nog fixed in 3.5? :( or do i need to purge something first?
1600330137662.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the PH tab for a humidity sensor. ( sht31d ) but the humidity in the tank says 100% when in fact it is 80% so its is of by 20%! i like to adjust this so it is whitin 5% correct.
1600324768029.png

1600325873498.png
Ah. i think this is a different issue. SHT31D driver is not best. Right now it only reads the sensor value, but if i recall correctly we have run the heater (theres a tiny heater to get rid of water vapor) periodically in the background that i have not implemented yet. Does your reading change if you update the check frequency to something longer (say 5 min).
I dont know whats happening with the temp sensor reading, there are couple of changes we made... but that should not effect it.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1600324768029.png

1600325873498.png
This is bug. Since this module was initially built for ph, it was restricted to take values within 0-14. We have to change it. I'll file a bug and get it fixed by next release.

Thank you so much for taking the time to run it and letting us know all the details.

Back