• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Help!

I got my replacement relay board as the old one died on me, this one has an ULN2803 onboard, it's active high like the previous one.

I've wired it up and the board powers up, but as soon as I attempt to power a relay via the pi the board just switches off, the led of the corresponding relay briefly illuminates, the grounds are tied (I've not messed with anything) power supply is 12v 2amps, so should be enough for energise the relay coils.

IMG_20200910_153944.jpg
IMG_20200910_154018.jpg

Can't understand why it's not working properly, I've soldered the PSU wires and also the signal wires from the pi directly to the board.
Can you share a photo of the entire setup ? I think it’s an wiring issue

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Help!

I got my replacement relay board as the old one died on me, this one has an ULN2803 onboard, it's active high like the previous one.

I've wired it up and the board powers up, but as soon as I attempt to power a relay via the pi the board just switches off, the led of the corresponding relay briefly illuminates, the grounds are tied (I've not messed with anything) power supply is 12v 2amps, so should be enough for energise the relay coils.

IMG_20200910_153944.jpg
IMG_20200910_154018.jpg

Can't understand why it's not working properly, I've soldered the PSU wires and also the signal wires from the pi directly to the board.
Measure everything. Does the input stay high? Does the power stay up? Is the coil on the relay receiving voltage?

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Nice work,

But, is it intended to have the temperature graphs go from zero to some margin above the upper level now? Before i actually could see the swings, which was nice because tiny drops would tell me that the ATO was still functioning and the reservoir not empty, now it's all one unidentifiable blob. The same happens if i create a new temp sensor. Theres no 0-value in the graph, checking right now if theres one in the database, although there shouldn't be in my existing data.
1600242665593.png

edit: Nope, no 0 values in the db either
This is an unintended consequence of the change i made (to remove min/max range from the graph), to address another request.

Clearly this is sub-optimal and we want to be able to see this graphs. Let me think through this. But fixes will only land in 3.6

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Hive minds,
I have just cut a new reef-pi release, 3.5. Its been almost 4 months sine the last stable reef-pi release and lot has piled up since then. Hence this release brings a handful of goodies. Key highlights are

New features:
  • Availability of ADS1015/ADS1115 series analog to digital converter. This will allow a wide range of analog sensor, including alternate temperature sensor, UV/Lux sensors, anemometers, VOC/CO2/Gas sensor and many more system to seamlessly integrate with reef-pi and used for controlling equipment.
  • We have introduced a special feature called "One Shot" in temperature , ph and ATO controllers. When enabled reef-pi will run the controller till the sensor reaches its target point instead of running perpetually. For example an one shot ATO controller will run the ATO pump till the sensor detect water level has reached the level and stop there. Same for temperature and ph, where the controller will stop soon the read reaches within min/max zone. When used within macro, this step will block the next step instead of running parallel. Intention of this feature is to help model auto water change and other scenarios.
  • Macros now have a new step called "alert". This can be used to send sms/email as part of a macro
  • Lighting module UI now support lunar, random and sine profile in addition to the existing ones (auto/interval, diurnal and fixed). Decimal/fractional values are also allowed in light profiles.
  • API documentations are now bundled with reef-pi code itself. The footer section in the UI will link to API documentation.

Bugfixes:
  • Pi 4 driver detection failures are resolved for upgraded raspberry pi os.
  • Temperature calibration bug was fixed
  • Equipment chart rendering bug was fixed
  • Temperature chart bounds are now removed, light chart rendering bug fixed.
  • Erroneous and out of acceptable range temperature sensor values are now ignored and retry logic has been implemented to address ds18b20 sensor reading issues.
Other than these critical features and bug fixes a number of tech chores across package updates, automated user acceptance test , performance improvement have also went in this release. I want to thank @Michael Lane from the bottom of my heart for his tireless contribution across drivers, backend and UI bugfixes. Without his work this release wont be happening in this challenging times.

Release builds are available in usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.5

Please help us make reef-pi better by testing and providing feedback. You all, including the pre-built hardware vendors, have been absolutely awesome and we appreciate your effort and interest in this project. You, the users and builders, constitute the best of this project.

Yours truly
ranjib on behalf of reef-pi development team.
Wow, thank-you @Ranjib and @Michael Lane for all the time you've put into this. It sounds amazing and that one shot feature should give it even more flexibility, the email alert in macros is a nice touch as well, great job!

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Measure everything. Does the input stay high? Does the power stay up? Is the coil on the relay receiving voltage?
I just checked that the grounds are tied and they are, so wiring is correct.

To test it I'll need to remove everything, going to a difficult one..

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib is there any way to bypass the 2 point calibration for sensors configured as PH sensor in this update?
What do you mean? You can always run ph probe without any calibration. Can you elaborate a bit?

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
What do you mean? You can always run ph probe without any calibration. Can you elaborate a bit?
i use the PH tab for a humidity sensor. ( sht31d ) but the humidity in the tank says 100% when in fact it is 80% so its is of by 20%! i like to adjust this so it is whitin 5% correct.
1600324768029.png

Edit: Second Calibration problem XD:
1600325873498.png

Last edited:

Yov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Also Temp isue with occilating houres nog fixed in 3.5? :( or do i need to purge something first?
1600330137662.png

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
i use the PH tab for a humidity sensor. ( sht31d ) but the humidity in the tank says 100% when in fact it is 80% so its is of by 20%! i like to adjust this so it is whitin 5% correct.
1600324768029.png

1600325873498.png
Ah. i think this is a different issue. SHT31D driver is not best. Right now it only reads the sensor value, but if i recall correctly we have run the heater (theres a tiny heater to get rid of water vapor) periodically in the background that i have not implemented yet. Does your reading change if you update the check frequency to something longer (say 5 min).
I dont know whats happening with the temp sensor reading, there are couple of changes we made... but that should not effect it.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
1600324768029.png

1600325873498.png
This is bug. Since this module was initially built for ph, it was restricted to take values within 0-14. We have to change it. I'll file a bug and get it fixed by next release.

Thank you so much for taking the time to run it and letting us know all the details.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Also Temp isue with occilating houres nog fixed in 3.5? :( or do i need to purge something first?
1600330137662.png
Dont purge. Let it run for some time and see if it settles down ..

elysics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
1600330137662.png
Can confirm, that bug still exists. I can provoke it by going the Configuration->Admin->reload route. Usually goes away after a few hours for me.

Edit: Happens in the Health graph too, by the way. Not sure if i noticed or mentioned that before.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Can you share a photo of the entire setup ? I think it’s an wiring issue
Got it sorted thanks, it turned out the v+ wire was loose, I had desoldered the pin header and soldered the wires through the holes, I had damaged the v+ solder pad, I managed to get the wire soldered on the top pad, all working properly now, I also washed off any excess flux and ran a blade between my solders, I call it a bikini wax incase of a stray wire.

baendres

View Badges
Reaction score
I am running these temperature probes that I ordered from Amazon.

they are lasting no more than two months until things go haywire and I start getting the PI showing way off temperatures (it is currently showing 32*) and if i go to the temp probe section of reef pi i get this error:

{"error":"open /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-011453842daa/w1_slave: no such file or directory"} | HTTP 404

the last two times this has happened I just solder an end on a new probe and things start working as expected but this is getting crazy to keep replacing it and I am heading out of town Saturday morning and of course the probe just took a **** after I did a water change.

Any suggestions on what to do? I was originally going to run three probes in my system (display, sump and stand) but I have only put the display one in so far since I keep having problems.

Thanks!

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score

they are lasting no more than two months until things go haywire and I start getting the PI showing way off temperatures (it is currently showing 32*) and if i go to the temp probe section of reef pi i get this error:

{"error":"open /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-011453842daa/w1_slave: no such file or directory"} | HTTP 404

the last two times this has happened I just solder an end on a new probe and things start working as expected but this is getting crazy to keep replacing it and I am heading out of town Saturday morning and of course the probe just took a **** after I did a water change.

Any suggestions on what to do? I was originally going to run three probes in my system (display, sump and stand) but I have only put the display one in so far since I keep having problems.

Thanks!
These are the probes I use. T-PRO DS18b20 Waterproof...
just as important. These are the connectors I have. SiYear 3-Pole 3.5mm Stereo...
then solder well. They have been running for over 1 year.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score

Thanks!
Are you encapsulating them, either in silicone or epoxy works well, mine work well almost 2 years in salt water without any real issues.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Are you encapsulating them, either in silicone or epoxy works well, mine work well almost 2 years in salt water without any real issues.
Yes. This works too. Encapsulated in epoxy my first lower cost non water proof probe lasted a long time. Recently failed after dropping connector end in salt water several times. And connector corroded.

pais

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi , I'm wondering if in the newer versions there's a way to manage light intensity based on other sensors. For example I put a temp sensor on a led lamp: if it gets too hot I would to reduce light decreasing pwm. Actually I'm running version 3.2 and have no problems, just wonder if that's possible in some manner ? Thanks

Do you have any "bully fish" in your tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 206 58.7%
  • NO bullies just misunderstood...

Votes: 122 34.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 23 6.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors