reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Temp isue with occilating houres nog fixed in 3.5? :( or do i need to purge something first?
1600330137662.png
Can confirm, that bug still exists. I can provoke it by going the Configuration->Admin->reload route. Usually goes away after a few hours for me.

Edit: Happens in the Health graph too, by the way. Not sure if i noticed or mentioned that before.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share a photo of the entire setup ? I think it’s an wiring issue

Got it sorted thanks, it turned out the v+ wire was loose, I had desoldered the pin header and soldered the wires through the holes, I had damaged the v+ solder pad, I managed to get the wire soldered on the top pad, all working properly now, I also washed off any excess flux and ran a blade between my solders, I call it a bikini wax incase of a stray wire.

baendres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running these temperature probes that I ordered from Amazon.

they are lasting no more than two months until things go haywire and I start getting the PI showing way off temperatures (it is currently showing 32*) and if i go to the temp probe section of reef pi i get this error:

{"error":"open /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-011453842daa/w1_slave: no such file or directory"} | HTTP 404

the last two times this has happened I just solder an end on a new probe and things start working as expected but this is getting crazy to keep replacing it and I am heading out of town Saturday morning and of course the probe just took a **** after I did a water change.

Any suggestions on what to do? I was originally going to run three probes in my system (display, sump and stand) but I have only put the display one in so far since I keep having problems.

Thanks!

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

they are lasting no more than two months until things go haywire and I start getting the PI showing way off temperatures (it is currently showing 32*) and if i go to the temp probe section of reef pi i get this error:

{"error":"open /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-011453842daa/w1_slave: no such file or directory"} | HTTP 404

the last two times this has happened I just solder an end on a new probe and things start working as expected but this is getting crazy to keep replacing it and I am heading out of town Saturday morning and of course the probe just took a **** after I did a water change.

Any suggestions on what to do? I was originally going to run three probes in my system (display, sump and stand) but I have only put the display one in so far since I keep having problems.

Thanks!

These are the probes I use. T-PRO DS18b20 Waterproof...

just as important. These are the connectors I have. SiYear 3-Pole 3.5mm Stereo...

then solder well. They have been running for over 1 year.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

Are you encapsulating them, either in silicone or epoxy works well, mine work well almost 2 years in salt water without any real issues.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you encapsulating them, either in silicone or epoxy works well, mine work well almost 2 years in salt water without any real issues.
Yes. This works too. Encapsulated in epoxy my first lower cost non water proof probe lasted a long time. Recently failed after dropping connector end in salt water several times. And connector corroded.

pais

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , I'm wondering if in the newer versions there's a way to manage light intensity based on other sensors. For example I put a temp sensor on a led lamp: if it gets too hot I would to reduce light decreasing pwm. Actually I'm running version 3.2 and have no problems, just wonder if that's possible in some manner ? Thanks

acanfor420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello
new to the hobby and have looked at the apex system setup but its out of the question.
Been trying to read thru the multi hundred pages. does get over whelming
Is the a shopping list of items needed? like what probes are the best? what connectors are best?
is there a compiled shopping list?

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello
new to the hobby and have looked at the apex system setup but its out of the question.
Is the a shopping list of items needed? like what probes are the best? what connectors are best?
My suggestion is to find a build thread of someone that has similar goals and skills as you.

there are some general lists out there. Ranjib’s GitHub site has these.https://reef-pi.github.io/

he shows how to build one from scratch. Keep in mind that there are people now building subassemblies and even plug and play units now. Also there are usually 10 ways to do everything so there are choices. This makes it harder but also more flexible.

after reading someone’s build thread. Start your own and getting moving. When you have questions ask. Maybe even tag the author of the build thread you read and make them your mentor. I had a few and it was so beneficial to have them.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , I'm wondering if in the newer versions there's a way to manage light intensity based on other sensors. For example I put a temp sensor on a led lamp: if it gets too hot I would to reduce light decreasing pwm. Actually I'm running version 3.2 and have no problems, just wonder if that's possible in some manner ? Thanks
Not exactly. You can turn it off directly, since any pwm output can be an outlet, but nothing that will make it more fine grained % based. This will be some work, to come up with a control mechanism that instead of a boolean on/off , take a more nominal approach (% of fractional). The design has to address both control mechanism as well as what part of that algorithm should be customizable by end users.
I have done some work on PID controller, but definitely looking for more ideas. Please let us know if you have some suggestions

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello
Dont read this thread to build your controller. As mentioned in the very first post, go through the guides, that will give you some idea, then start a thread if you have specific questions.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the probes I use. T-PRO DS18b20 Waterproof...

just as important. These are the connectors I have. SiYear 3-Pole 3.5mm Stereo...

then solder well. They have been running for over 1 year.

Thanks for posting the temp sensor link. I ordered them in case the Aliexspress ones I ordered don't work .

baendres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No,
But when I get back from Vacation I will give that a shot. I have my parents coming to check on the tanks a couple times in the week we are gone so hopefully nothing goes wrong next week.

any certain kind of epoxy work best for pouring around the probe end?

Thanks guys

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any certain kind of epoxy work best for pouring around the probe end?

Thanks guys
Any 2 part clear epoxy should be fine. I used a product from total boat that I originally purchased for building snow skis and snowboards. It’s high end but for this purpose high end isn’t needed. Just make sure the whole probe is submerged in epoxy. You don’t pour it around. You hang the probe into a mold and fill the mold with epoxy. I used a piece of pvc pipe as my mold and wax as a mold release.

I’ve personally never tried silicone for this. For me silicone is too flexible and can tear. But others have had success.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

Is reef-pi currently capable of controlling devices through HTTP\REST type requests? I've built some ESP8266 based dosing pumps that currently respond to GETs at specific addresses (IE, GET http:\\<ip>\Calcium?steps=100 moves the stepper half a rotation ) - and really don't feel like adding 0-10v support for them as the ESP8266 only has one 3.3v analog IN pin - so I'd need to either give each pump its own ESP, or build out some circuitry to get multiple analog INs and convert voltage.

Right now its a nice self contained Ca/Alk/Mag unit.

Anyways - if that's not currently supported - where do I start digging in to write a driver/etc? Or is it better to just drive the thing via a CRON job and log to the reef-pi database somehere? Any developers guide anywhere?

I've got a RoboTank in the mail and a Pi on my desk. Excited.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

Is reef-pi currently capable of controlling devices through HTTP\REST type requests? I've built some ESP8266 based dosing pumps that currently respond to GETs at specific addresses (IE, GET http:\\<ip>\Calcium?steps=100 moves the stepper half a rotation ) - and really don't feel like adding 0-10v support for them as the ESP8266 only has one 3.3v analog IN pin - so I'd need to either give each pump its own ESP, or build out some circuitry to get multiple analog INs and convert voltage.

Right now its a nice self contained Ca/Alk/Mag unit.

Anyways - if that's not currently supported - where do I start digging in to write a driver/etc? Or is it better to just drive the thing via a CRON job and log to the reef-pi database somehere? Any developers guide anywhere?

I've got a RoboTank in the mail and a Pi on my desk. Excited.
reef-pi uses a common driver framework called HAL, which makes it easy to add new driver. This should be fairly easy to integrate, but it requires some coding.
If your design and code is opensource, I'd be more than happy to develop the driver for you. It will be nice to collaborate and so that we can provide some feedback on the esp32 API as well, i think it will be beneficial for the users.

acanfor420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...just a couple more questions....
Do I need a router or home network to connect the pi?
We have Xfinity wifi internet modem and service

Smin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive minds,
I have just cut a new reef-pi release, 3.5. Its been almost 4 months sine the last stable reef-pi release and lot has piled up since then. Hence this release brings a handful of goodies. Key highlights are

New features:
  • Availability of ADS1015/ADS1115 series analog to digital converter. This will allow a wide range of analog sensor, including alternate temperature sensor, UV/Lux sensors, anemometers, VOC/CO2/Gas sensor and many more system to seamlessly integrate with reef-pi and used for controlling equipment.
  • We have introduced a special feature called "One Shot" in temperature , ph and ATO controllers. When enabled reef-pi will run the controller till the sensor reaches its target point instead of running perpetually. For example an one shot ATO controller will run the ATO pump till the sensor detect water level has reached the level and stop there. Same for temperature and ph, where the controller will stop soon the read reaches within min/max zone. When used within macro, this step will block the next step instead of running parallel. Intention of this feature is to help model auto water change and other scenarios.
  • Macros now have a new step called "alert". This can be used to send sms/email as part of a macro
  • Lighting module UI now support lunar, random and sine profile in addition to the existing ones (auto/interval, diurnal and fixed). Decimal/fractional values are also allowed in light profiles.
  • API documentations are now bundled with reef-pi code itself. The footer section in the UI will link to API documentation.

Bugfixes:
  • Pi 4 driver detection failures are resolved for upgraded raspberry pi os.
  • Temperature calibration bug was fixed
  • Equipment chart rendering bug was fixed
  • Temperature chart bounds are now removed, light chart rendering bug fixed.
  • Erroneous and out of acceptable range temperature sensor values are now ignored and retry logic has been implemented to address ds18b20 sensor reading issues.
Other than these critical features and bug fixes a number of tech chores across package updates, automated user acceptance test , performance improvement have also went in this release. I want to thank @Michael Lane from the bottom of my heart for his tireless contribution across drivers, backend and UI bugfixes. Without his work this release wont be happening in this challenging times.

Release builds are available in usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.5

Please help us make reef-pi better by testing and providing feedback. You all, including the pre-built hardware vendors, have been absolutely awesome and we appreciate your effort and interest in this project. You, the users and builders, constitute the best of this project.

Yours truly
ranjib on behalf of reef-pi development team.

Thanks again for all your hard work! How do I access the new light profiles? they don't show up when I edit the lights.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...just a couple more questions....
Do I need a router or home network to connect the pi?
We have Xfinity wifi internet modem and service

You do need a router to access the Raspberry Pi, you can plug directly into it or use wifi. Your router will assign an IP address to your Pi, you type this in your web browser and reef-pi will load. If you want to access reef-pi outside your local network you need to port forward the Pi and how to do that really depends on your router, if you can find a user manual it should explain how to do this.

Thanks again for all your hard work! How do I access the new light profiles? they don't show up when I edit the lights.

I just setup a light and the new profiles appear, maybe when you edit a previous profile they don't show, try removing it and adding back.

ScreenShot.png

Back