reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just finished getting my lights to work properly with reef-pi. They are led strips and controlled with a mosfet low side driver and pwm signal. When using the pwm from PCA9685 there was a high pitched humming getting louder and louder the more channels that were active. Theatrus helped me by pointing in the pwm frequency direction and after a bit of experimenting I got rid of the humming/noise by changing to hardware pi pwm and setting the frequency to 25kHz (above audible range). It's the same issue I was prepared for for my pwm controlled fans and had been planning to use the pi's 2 pwm channels for.

This is not a reef-pi issue really but the limitations on pwm frequency on the PCA9685 board (max 1kHz) is a bit of a bummer.

For my fans I think I'll just add another pi zero with reef-pi and run them off that.

Other than that a huge shout out to all the devs, setting up and running reef-pi has been a breeze if you don't count the noob mistakes from my part.

Zippyfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone may have asked this, but - When I went from 3.4 to 3.5, the temp scaling seems to be gone, and it just goes from 0 to 80 now.. is there some way to get that back?

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm nearly done building my canopy for the new tank & am excited to try out 3.5!!! Thanks @Ranjib & @Michael Lane for all the incredible work!

One question I had before getting into it this weekend- Is there any sort of documentation for using the ADS1015 with Reef Pi? I'm super interested in the LUX meter aspect of it. I just finished building a hybrid T5/LED fixture & the bulbs for it should be arriving next week. I have no idea what to expect when I flip that switch & I'm trying not to bleach everything out.

Stephen2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Has anyone tried to connect a zetlight to the reef pi?
I saw it has a 3.5 mm input jack. Almost like the kessils

Smin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me some time to test and reproduce this. If you are correct it’s a bug. I’ll get back to you shortly.
Hi Ranjib, just wondering if you managed to reproduce this? if not I'll have another go at setting it up and capture what is going on.
The alternative would be being able to have more setpoints during the day in the interval setting or having the lights fade between the setpoints automatically if either is possible?

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read though most of this thread.. I don’t know if I’m over thinking this or just don’t understand..
I’m great at tinkering, and building, but lost as all get out.

Who want to build me one
Just want one that will probe for Ak/Ca/Mg

If anyone has one, send me a list and setup step by step of what’s need and what goes we’re..
I’ll send you my Halloween candy in trade!

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read though most of this thread.. I don’t know if I’m over thinking this or just don’t understand..
I’m great at tinkering, and building, but lost as all get out.

Who want to build me one
Just want one that will probe for Ak/Ca/Mg

If anyone has one, send me a list and setup step by step of what’s need and what goes we’re..
I’ll send you my Halloween candy in trade!
Don’t try to read this thread to understand how to build one. Instead reads someone’s build thread. I had no clue when I started and I now have two controllers running. I don’t know anyone probing for ak/ca/mg though. I’m not sure there is a sensor for that.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t try to read this thread to understand how to build one. Instead reads someone’s build thread. I had no clue when I started and I now have two controllers running. I don’t know anyone probing for ak/ca/mg though. I’m not sure there is a sensor for that.

Good call.. I'll have to search something up. I'm not sure if I want is possible, but it is worth a shot in trying to figure it out

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call.. I'll have to search something up. I'm not sure if I want is possible, but it is worth a shot in trying to figure it out
The trident/khdirector are both basically doing hanna-checker style liquid tests. Suck in water, baseline reading, add a reagent, do an LED based colorimeter comparison.

Not aware of any probes for those things.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For calcium and magnesium at least there are "ion selective electrodes" which are allegedly used in some upcoming devices if i remember correctly. Pricy though

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not related to ReefPi I have an electrical question and given all the sparkys on this forum I'm hoping someone is able to share there input on the below.

I dose 2 part using the BRS 1.2ml/min dosers. My Alk doser runs 1.2 but the calc is almost double at 2.1 so I'm trying to figure out a way to be able to adjust the motor speed. Pretty much every BRS doser varies from 1.2-2.2 ml/min, it's a crapshoot what you get.

The BRS doser uses the below AC motor, unfortunately I cant find the datasheet on the OEMs website so the below pic is the only info on the motor I have.
1603215502898.png

I am wondering if I could use this AC motor controller to slow down the doser motor a bit which is made to work with AC fans from 8-50 watts. Does anyone know if this may or may not work?

I'd cry if I burnt out the motor on my new doser so hoping I can get some feedback before attempting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00809BQZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1603215424111.png

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trident/khdirector are both basically doing hanna-checker style liquid tests. Suck in water, baseline reading, add a reagent, do an LED based colorimeter comparison.

Not aware of any probes for those things.

Not sure about the Trident but the KH director and the Alkatronic actually use titration of a standard acid and a PH probe to perform an alkalinity test.

Most of the legwork is already figured out in the below article, it'd be a good starting place.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/a-diy-alkalinity-test.12/

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the Trident but the KH director and the Alkatronic actually use titration of a standard acid and a PH probe to perform an alkalinity test.

Most of the legwork is already figured out in the below article, it'd be a good starting place.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/a-diy-alkalinity-test.12/
I stand corrected.

So, basically we'd need a pH probe, and a bunch of very precise dosing pumps to pull in sample, administer reagent until proper ph, and then dump. Not super complicated - but probably very finicky to get exact.

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stand corrected.

So, basically we'd need a pH probe, and a bunch of very precise dosing pumps to pull in sample, administer reagent until proper ph, and then dump. Not super complicated - but probably very finicky to get exact.
Exactly!

Not saying the colorimetric wont work, just saying forwhatever reason the titration method is what most are using for auto testing.

The other thing I've heard (not positive) is that they use algorithms as well for inconveniences in case there is some anomaly and the test gets screwed up. Like say you test your alk a dozen times and it's readying 8.1-8.3 and you drop it down to 5dkh suddenly, I hear it wont read 5 but instead will take averages based on current and past measurements.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm nearly done building my canopy for the new tank & am excited to try out 3.5!!! Thanks @Ranjib & @Michael Lane for all the incredible work!

One question I had before getting into it this weekend- Is there any sort of documentation for using the ADS1015 with Reef Pi? I'm super interested in the LUX meter aspect of it. I just finished building a hybrid T5/LED fixture & the bulbs for it should be arriving next week. I have no idea what to expect when I flip that switch & I'm trying not to bleach everything out.
The ads driver will allow you creating two analog input connectors with it. Treat it as ph probe and the reading will be raw . Calibrate and control as you wish from there on.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back