reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI - My temp sensor has locked up, I can not turn it on or off, can not delete it.
I have swap the sensors over 1-2 in reef pi and both are reading when using calibration.
Reboot, power off etc does not help.
Also have error {"error":"stats for id: '2' not found"} | HTTP 404

Sensor 1 - locked up
Senor 2 - working fine

If you turn of things like does pumps, temp sensors does this cause errors? Just asking.
If the dashboard has a graph and the dosing or temp is turned off, does that cause an error?

Thanks

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "Error" tab is always full of errors - the number seems to be around 40/41 at the moment. I can clear them and then they are all back within a few hours with more recent time stamps. Some are obvious, like the ones relating to temp sensor failure, but some relating to the Adafruit error are not obvious to me at all.

Are these benign, or is there something I should do to clear them? I am getting my feeds to AIO as expected.

2020-11-24.png
sorry about that, i finally got to the bottom of it. there was a couple of bugs. I just fixed them

I just cut 4.0 (release announcement coming soon) .. if possible upgrade. There should not be any dataloss and it should be seamless

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive minds,
I have just cut 4.0 release. It is not a big bang release like 2.0 or 3.0, because since 3.0 we have shipped quiet a few big feature incrementally (macro, ads115 driver, one shot controller, alert in macros and more), but 4.0 does bring a few awesome long awaited feature asks, namely
- Ability to download the current database (for backup) and import an existing database from UI
- Ability to install/upgrade reef-pi versions from UI
- MQTT based metric emission
- Light api will return current values of individual channels
- Doser can be direcly controlled via macro now (i.e. macro on will turn on doser and macro off will turn off doser)
- Bug fixes for adafruit.io
- Bug fix for ph hysteresis
- Bug fix for under voltage detection code
and a whole lot of tech chores (CI, tests, dep upgrades etc)

Release builds are available in usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/4.0

This major release is backward compatible schema wise, i.e, you will not loose any data and should be able to upgrade seamlessly. There are few changes from existing behavior though, the light api (return current channel values), doser api (direct on/off using macro instead of enable/disable) that are only possible through major version.

I'll make a dedicated post first thing tomorrow morning, thank you so much everyone involved in testing, bug filing, development and all around community support. You all are at the heart of this project and deserve a much bigger shout out in the main announcement post.
hugs
ranjib

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive minds,
I have just cut 4.0 release. It is not a big bang release like 2.0 or 3.0, because since 3.0 we have shipped quiet a few big feature incrementally (macro, ads115 driver, one shot controller, alert in macros and more), but 4.0 does bring a few awesome long awaited feature asks, namely
- Ability to download the current database (for backup) and import an existing database from UI
- Doser can be direcly controlled via macro now (i.e. macro on will turn on doser and macro off will turn off doser)

Release builds are available in usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/4.0

This major release is backward compatible schema wise, i.e, you will not loose any data and should be able to upgrade seamlessly. There are few changes from existing behavior though, the light api (return current channel values), doser api (direct on/off using macro instead of enable/disable) that are only possible through major version.

I'll make a dedicated post first thing tomorrow morning, thank you so much everyone involved in testing, bug filing, development and all around community support. You all are at the heart of this project and deserve a much bigger shout out in the main announcement post.
hugs
ranjib

Can't wait to get home and install and check it out.

Thanks @Ranjib

Freccialata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the db update worked , you should be able to see it in db show command , and starting reef pi should not show any error in the log , . Can you check those two (db show and log during start)
Ranjib, thank you for your support... I decided to reset the database and configure reef-pi again... I'm lucky because I have few settings to arrange.

I have installed the update (btw... thank you very much for what you and your staff are doing for everyone).

I see a new feauture (MQTT based metric emission)... how can I send data (in partucular temperature and ph data) to home assistant (I have installed mosquitto on my Home Assistant docker)?

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hive minds,

hugs
ranjib
Disregard found my answer.

Made the move from 3.3.1 to 4.0...So far so good. Fantastic work as usual!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjib, thank you for your support... I decided to reset the database and configure reef-pi again... I'm lucky because I have few settings to arrange.

I have installed the update (btw... thank you very much for what you and your staff are doing for everyone).

I see a new feauture (MQTT based metric emission)... how can I send data (in partucular temperature and ph data) to home assistant (I have installed mosquitto on my Home Assistant docker)?
Just add mqtt server details (host:port) and reef-pi will emit all the metrics to mqtt. Including ph, temperature, equipment state etc. name of the topic will be deduced from name (e.g. ph_reading). I am not knowledgeable for home assistant integration part , may be @sfgabe or someone who is using it can chime in. This is the required first step for mqtt integration , we are likely to have more features in future around mqtt

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just add mqtt server details (host:port) and reef-pi will emit all the metrics to mqtt. Including ph, temperature, equipment state etc. name of the topic will be deduced from name (e.g. ph_reading). I am not knowledgeable for home assistant integration part , may be @sfgabe or someone who is using it can chime in. This is the required first step for mqtt integration , we are likely to have more features in future around mqtt

This is awesome. Can't wait to plug it into HASS.

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited about this new development @Ranjib ! I need to update to the latest version, but using MQTT instead should take care of the expired cookies that I need to manually refresh every so often with the API method.

As for @Freccialata 's question - I currently use the reef-pi API so I don't have any direct knowledge of the new MQTT setup. In Home Assistant, you'll need to make sure you have an MQTT host set up (check the HASS docs for that), and that reef-pi is pointing to that as the MQTT host. Once that's up and running you should be able to test the reef-pi integration by going into the HASS MQTT integration and "listening" to the topic - it should be something like /reef-pi/ph_reading/ . After you see that that returns a value, you can use that as an mqtt sensor as defined in the hass docs.

@Ranjib is there a doc that has the possible topic addresses? (apologies if it's somewhere in the previous thread, feel free to link)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited about this new development @Ranjib ! I need to update to the latest version, but using MQTT instead should take care of the expired cookies that I need to manually refresh every so often with the API method.

As for @Freccialata 's question - I currently use the reef-pi API so I don't have any direct knowledge of the new MQTT setup. In Home Assistant, you'll need to make sure you have an MQTT host set up (check the HASS docs for that), and that reef-pi is pointing to that as the MQTT host. Once that's up and running you should be able to test the reef-pi integration by going into the HASS MQTT integration and "listening" to the topic - it should be something like /reef-pi/ph_reading/ . After you see that that returns a value, you can use that as an mqtt sensor as defined in the hass docs.

@Ranjib is there a doc that has the possible topic addresses? (apologies if it's somewhere in the previous thread, feel free to link)
Not yet. the topic is same as prometheus metric name. generally in the form of "name_reading" . you can get an idea here: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/search?q=EmitMetric , i plan to add details in the docs soon.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the new version and it seems to work thus far. However it did not change the behavior of the temp and ph graphs on the display in regards to the displayed range. Should it have? I thought that was part of the new version.
Yes, there is no fix shipped for that specific issue. I started working on a prototype.. but its not shippable yet. I want to tackle this issue though, and not drop the ball.

Freccialata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you @Ranjib and @sfgabe.

I'm still a noob in reef-pi and home assistant... However the real problem is that I'm not a developer.

I have setup in the telemetry board the setting and I don't have kind of error in the errors board, it means that everything is fine (wrong address, wrong username and/or wrong password shows an error)... but I can't see any new identity in the mqtt integration.

I will ask for support to a friend that is a home assistant expert.

@sfgabe : I read some your articles on the net and in this forum too.... but at the moment it's very hard for me to understand and work with API.

I see that someone else is interested in reef-pi integration in home assistant... lets hope that with the mqtt integration in reef-pi the interest gres up and so that we can create a specific thread to make it easyer.

borillion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see Kasa is supported, any ideas about supporting sonoff (ewelink) or Smart Life (Tuya) outlets? I know that some of the sonoff devices have a local lan mode that might be able to give us a way into those.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see Kasa is supported, any ideas about supporting sonoff (ewelink) or Smart Life (Tuya) outlets? I know that some of the sonoff devices have a local lan mode that might be able to give us a way into those.
Shelly drivers are already in. Sonoff not yet

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a user contributable wiki we can put information into anywhere?
The official reef-pi website is open source as well and available at reef-pi/website repository . You can add docs there as pr

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back