reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The existing mode will try and jeopardize the override. I think you can create two separate light module, one with the diurnal profile and another with manual , fixed intensity. Keep the first one enable and the second one disable. Then create a macro to disable the first and enable the second, and revert it to go back to automatic mode.
I wanted to do this before. There is no option in the macros to select individual lighting constructs, only the entire lighting subsystem

pwest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, my lights are ON, so it's difficult to try, but as elysics said, there doesn't seem to be clear a way in the Macros to select particular lighting channels or options. I see:
Subsystem->Lighting->On | Off
I'm assuming that my diurnal program is always On, just with the intensity turned way down.

Thanks for the idea,
Phil

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to do this before. There is no option in the macros to select individual lighting constructs, only the entire lighting subsystem
Right now, my lights are ON, so it's difficult to try, but as elysics said, there doesn't seem to be clear a way in the Macros to select particular lighting channels or options. I see:
Subsystem->Lighting->On | Off
I'm assuming that my diurnal program is always On, just with the intensity turned way down.

Thanks for the idea,
Phil
I get it now. The macro system still does not support the lighting enable/disable function, I'll get it done in next release.
I cant think of a sane way of approaching it till then, :-(

Cristiano Souza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Ranjib, I'm without a Raspberry-pi at the moment, I've already arranged the purchase, but it will take a while to arrive, in this time, can you install or emulate Reef-Pi on a windows?

Just to get to know and familiarize myself with the interface and settings, I won't control or command anything!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Ranjib, I'm without a Raspberry-pi at the moment, I've already arranged the purchase, but it will take a while to arrive, in this time, can you install or emulate Reef-Pi on a windows?

Just to get to know and familiarize myself with the interface and settings, I won't control or command anything!
reef-pi used to run fine on windows, when @Michael Lane was using it for active development, now im not sure. I develop on mac or linux and can confirm that. For windows i think you have to do a few things to get it running. If you are not a software developer i wont recommend attempting it.

Cristiano Souza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef-pi used to run fine on windows, when @Michael Lane was using it for active development, now im not sure. I develop on mac or linux and can confirm that. For windows i think you have to do a few things to get it running. If you are not a software developer i wont recommend attempting it.

Is there a version of Reef-Pi that runs on x86?
I would install Linux on a virtual machine to be able to run it, inside windows, in the virtual box!!
It's possible?

Simonv92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Ranjib! Are you planning to do any kind of PWM control also for equipment? I was thinking about controlling the speed of a cooling fan by a temperature sensor (not only ON/OFF control but speed control) or maybe create a macro to start a pwm capable out at a certain value when a condition is triggered (for example turn on an led light at 55% when water temp reaches 28°C). Can be useful to someone else? Thank you! :)

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Ranjib! Are you planning to do any kind of PWM control also for equipment? I was thinking about controlling the speed of a cooling fan by a temperature sensor (not only ON/OFF control but speed control) or maybe create a macro to start a pwm capable out at a certain value when a condition is triggered (for example turn on an led light at 55% when water temp reaches 28°C). Can be useful to someone else? Thank you! :)
Would also be nice for integrating pumps that have a 0..10V interface

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes :)
IFTTT for controls and MQTT for telemetry is something on my mind. But as of now theres little interest. I am more than happy to work on this, if theres others who are also interested.
I would also like to emphasize that this comes at a huge reliability and compatibility cost. Wifi and those invidivdual outlets having their own micor controller is no where as reliable and simple as the dumb powerstrip+relay solution. It also comes at little higher price (the extra electronics that goes into making it smart). But these are fair risk to me. As of now I am more concerned about which API to settle on. We dont want a proliferation of drivers. i.e. settle on a opensource friendly reputaed vendor, or the most popular one that can be source across north america, europe, south africa and australia.

Please keep the conversation going, and thank you for bringing this up... I 'll be adding this as 3.0 thing,
Hi I’m curious about the current status of Tuya/Smart Life and IFTTT integration.

My current automation is 100% Smart Life. It’s limited, so I’d like to start up a ReefPi, but also avoid buying or building a power bar, since I essentially already have one. I’m also not a developer, just a user who can tinker a bit.

Thanks

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m curious about the current status of Tuya/Smart Life and IFTTT integration.

My current automation is 100% Smart Life. It’s limited, so I’d like to start up a ReefPi, but also avoid buying or building a power bar, since I essentially already have one. I’m also not a developer, just a user who can tinker a bit.

Thanks
I have only tested the Mqtt data emission. Tasmota development and testing is done by community. I have not tried it. I personally use Kasa hs300

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about this multiple times in past and there was no compelling reason to prioritize the work. While it’s correct that we can theoretically control the fan speed, it was still not clear if the specifics (pid controller ) for sensor value to pwm duty cycle will be generic for different cases. At the same time my existing temperature controller that just turns on off , works quiet well, I can also control the speed manually, but for the entire operation if need be.
Meanwhile , i am working on bringing the light control under macro, with that we should be able to do the scenario you mentioned. If you have any other relevant use case that may need this feature, do let us know

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to install the dev environment, but got hung up on make install after cloning the git repository:

~/gospace/src/github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi(master*) » make install
make go-get
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/name/gospace/src/github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi'
go get -u golang.org/x/tools/cmd/goimports
go: downloading golang.org/x/tools v0.1.6
go: downloading golang.org/x/sys v0.0.0-20210923061019-b8560ed6a9b7
go: downloading golang.org/x/mod v0.5.1
go: downloading golang.org/x/xerrors v0.0.0-20200804184101-5ec99f83aff1
go get: installing executables with 'go get' in module mode is deprecated.
To adjust and download dependencies of the current module, use 'go get -d'.
To install using requirements of the current module, use 'go install'.
To install ignoring the current module, use 'go install' with a version,
like 'go install example.com/cmd@latest'.
For more information, see https://golang.org/doc/go-get-install-deprecation
or run 'go help get' or 'go help install'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/name/gospace/src/github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi'
yarn
00h00m00s 0/0: : ERROR: There are no scenarios; must have at least one.
Makefile:47: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 1

I'm not one to tinker with makefiles and the suggested commands in that error don't work on their own. Anyone know what i have to do?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to install the dev environment, but got hung up on make install after cloning the git repository:

~/gospace/src/github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi(master*) » make install
make go-get
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/name/gospace/src/github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi'
go get -u golang.org/x/tools/cmd/goimports
go: downloading golang.org/x/tools v0.1.6
go: downloading golang.org/x/sys v0.0.0-20210923061019-b8560ed6a9b7
go: downloading golang.org/x/mod v0.5.1
go: downloading golang.org/x/xerrors v0.0.0-20200804184101-5ec99f83aff1
go get: installing executables with 'go get' in module mode is deprecated.
To adjust and download dependencies of the current module, use 'go get -d'.
To install using requirements of the current module, use 'go install'.
To install ignoring the current module, use 'go install' with a version,
like 'go install example.com/cmd@latest'.
For more information, see https://golang.org/doc/go-get-install-deprecation
or run 'go help get' or 'go help install'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/name/gospace/src/github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi'
yarn
00h00m00s 0/0: : ERROR: There are no scenarios; must have at least one.
Makefile:47: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 1

I'm not one to tinker with makefiles and the suggested commands in that error don't work on their own. Anyone know what i have to do?
Let’s not use this thread for developer environment setup. Use slack or GitHub for those things .

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do that now..it's on and off, but it works just fine.

Back