Reef-pi and tp-link HS300

VonCali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All -

I have my reef-pi setup on version 5.2 with Robo-Tank. Things have been great although one of my temp probes have been a bit iffy but I’m sure one of the probes is just bad.

My issue is actually with the Kasa/TP-Link hs300 that I setup through its app. I have it working just fine through the Kasa app, controlling all 6 outlets. I setup a static IP for it and add it into the Drivers tab on my reef-pi with port 9999. This portion all seems to work. Then I go to the outlets tab and instead of 6 outlets, I only see two; 0 and 1.

Trying to test these two outlets doesn’t work and I’m missing the other four… I feel I’m just missing something small. Any one have any advice?

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All -

I have my reef-pi setup on version 5.2 with Robo-Tank. Things have been great although one of my temp probes have been a bit iffy but I’m sure one of the probes is just bad.

My issue is actually with the Kasa/TP-Link hs300 that I setup through its app. I have it working just fine through the Kasa app, controlling all 6 outlets. I setup a static IP for it and add it into the Drivers tab on my reef-pi with port 9999. This portion all seems to work. Then I go to the outlets tab and instead of 6 outlets, I only see two; 0 and 1.

Trying to test these two outlets doesn’t work and I’m missing the other four… I feel I’m just missing something small. Any one have any advice?
Hi, yeah unfortunately some DS18B20 sensors can be flakey. A couple things that might help with it is make sure the temp cable isn't next to any AC cables or crossing them, this can cause interference on some of them. It's also good practice not to connect multiple sensors to the same port, issues with unstable sensors can appear then. If I provided them I can send you another one.

As for the HS300 could it be that you selected a different model for the driver? Also any time you change something on the configuration tab you need to go to admin and press the reload button so reef-pi updates. I don't have one of these but I believe you should see 6 pins for outlet connectors and 6 for analog connectors, these will output the power consumption.

OP
OP
V

VonCali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rob -

I have a correction on the reef-pi version, I'm 5.1 not 5.2.. sorry about that.

Thanks for the tips on the temp sensors, I'll try moving them around because the interference really could be the cause, I hadn't thought of that.

For the HS300, below is the driver setup and the outlets. I have tried reloading and even restarting but haven't had any luck. I've also made sure that the HS300's firmware is up-to-date..

My plan is to eventually pick up your power bar for more sensitive items but wanted to get started with this since it was next day delivery on Amazon for only $50 :)

Drivers.png

Outlets.png

Last edited:

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rob -

I have a correction on the reef-pi version, I'm 5.1 not 5.2.. sorry about that.

Thanks for the tips on the temp sensors, I'll try moving them around because the interference really could be the cause, I hadn't thought of that.

For the HS300, below is the driver setup and the outlets. I have tried reloading and even restarting but haven't had any luck. I've also made sure that the HS300's firmware is up-to-date..

My plan is to eventually pick up your power bar for more sensitive items but wanted to get started with this since it was next day delivery on Amazon for only $50 :)

Drivers.png

Outlets.png
Another thing with the temp sensor, it sounds like you are using more than one, try swapping ports on controller to verify the problem follows it.

That is a great price for that power bar, wish I could do that. I'm not sure why it's not showing more pins, it looks like you're doing things right, maybe @Ranjib or someone else has an idea.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you have chosen 303 as driver. hs300 has 6 outlets, while hs303 has 3 outlets. Can you please verify and report back?

OP
OP
V

VonCali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Ranjib, Thank you for all your work on reef-pi. Truly an awesome product.

If you can see in my screenshot above I have selected HS300. Also, I'm only seeing 2 outlets, not three. Lastly, if I try to test these 2 outlets it offers me, they don't work either.

OP
OP
V

VonCali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, I've solved this and am embarrassed by the solution...

I forgot that I had a tp-link outdoors managing my landscape lighting that has only two outlets. I wonder if the neighbors thought it odd as I was flicking the lights on and off. I also noticed that the HS300 wasn't coming up on my router as a connected device so I had to do some digging to find its IP.

Sorry for wasting your time!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, I've solved this and am embarrassed by the solution...

I forgot that I had a tp-link outdoors managing my landscape lighting that has only two outlets. I wonder if the neighbors thought it odd as I was flicking the lights on and off. I also noticed that the HS300 wasn't coming up on my router as a connected device so I had to do some digging to find its IP.

Sorry for wasting your time!
Happens to most of us 3-) . Tplink drivers are very well tested with many many setups . I’ll be surprised if we have bugs like that. We do see issues with state synchronization, specifically when the unit is also controller or manually switched outside reef-pi. But other than that, most things have been ok

iancarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I'm very new to this forum, but have just ordered my py3 and robo-tank kit and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in... My problem is going to be using the reef-pi with UK power outlets?

Is there a published list of supported drivers for power bars?

Unfortunately we can't get the HS300 with UK outlets. We can get a smaller unit the KP303 which may work with a bit of tweaking though... Are you using an open protocol to communicate with the HS300 or is this a tp-link propriety protocol as there are some other manufacturers that support IFTTT, Google and Alexa that may be able to integrate?

Any help will be gratefully received!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I'm very new to this forum, but have just ordered my py3 and robo-tank kit and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in... My problem is going to be using the reef-pi with UK power outlets?

Is there a published list of supported drivers for power bars?

Unfortunately we can't get the HS300 with UK outlets. We can get a smaller unit the KP303 which may work with a bit of tweaking though... Are you using an open protocol to communicate with the HS300 or is this a tp-link propriety protocol as there are some other manufacturers that support IFTTT, Google and Alexa that may be able to integrate?

Any help will be gratefully received!
It’s a proprietary protocol I think, it’s not published on their site. I have implemented the protocol from the open source nodejs bindings. It’s using tcp underneath

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back