OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which temperature probe did you end up using? I feel like its not the one shown on the 1st page of the thread here. Something about them always going bad real quick so you changed it to something else? Or am i wrong?

Also I was going to get the Raspberry Pi 3 B+.
I'm using a different one but it's the same kind. I got a lot of 5 off amazon and picked the one that was closest to correct temperature of my tank.

Imo you can't go wrong with a pi3 b+.

Dou you have a build thread?

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a different one but it's the same kind. I got a lot of 5 off amazon and picked the one that was closest to correct temperature of my tank.

Imo you can't go wrong with a pi3 b+.

Dou you have a build thread?

Not yet I am in the process of getting things put in carts and paid for. Once it all gets here I will start a thread because I will need a bit of help with the programming part. I am planning on doing the power controller, Temp and PH, ATO, Lights, and powerheads. For now at least. Going to start with the power controller and the temp portion and then add things as I get them built.

I have personal experience with building circuits and such. So once I get stuff built I will probably end up etching my own PCB's to make things a bit more compact. I got plans but the first step is getting the basics done.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which temperature probe did you end up using? I feel like its not the one shown on the 1st page of the thread here. Something about them always going bad real quick so you changed it to something else? Or am i wrong?

Also I was going to get the Raspberry Pi 3 B+.
I used the Aideepen brand temp probes from Amazon, All 5 worked and were pretty close on temp tolerance. I bought 5 more of a different brand (VKTech) because they had longer wires, 2 were DOA and the other 3 were reading 1.25*, 1.75* lower and .9* higher than what my tank temp is.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one not quick question for ya. Are you using a project box that fits everything? If so what size did you get?

If not. What size do you think would allow me to fit all module inside of with room to expand if needed? I was thinking a 12.6x9.5x2.3 inches would be sufficient or everything.

The power module is going to be in a separate box of course.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one not quick question for ya. Are you using a project box that fits everything? If so what size did you get?

If not. What size do you think would allow me to fit all module inside of with room to expand if needed? I was thinking a 12.6x9.5x2.3 inches would be sufficient or everything.

The power module is going to be in a separate box of course.
I'm using a cigar box that's 12x9.5 2.5 and i can fit 2 rpis with connectors in it so the one you're looking at will probably work.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using 1 dedicated to my lights. It was just easier than trying to figure out the circuits an cramming it all onto 1 pi. The second pi was originally going to be used for a dosing pump and ph monitor but I'm adding the dosing pumps to pi#1 instead.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on. Curious why you are using two pi’s. Could one not run everything?

I am building everything into one enclosure because I am stubborn and want to see if I can get it to work. But word is the doser motors cause noise on the other PWM circuits. The way @Diamond1 is doing it is probably better in the long run having dedicated pi's per system. Especially when @Ranjib and crew get the ability to link multiple RPI's to one dashboard working.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building everything into one enclosure because I am stubborn and want to see if I can get it to work. But word is the doser motors cause noise on the other PWM circuits. The way @Diamond1 is doing it is probably better in the long run having dedicated pi's per system. Especially when @Ranjib and crew get the ability to link multiple RPI's to one dashboard working.
Yes I'm very excited to see what @Ranjib comes up with for clustering pis.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 54 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back