reef pi sensors wont show

terrapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since a few days im building my own reef pi build for my aquarium + vivarium. everything works fine but I can't get the sensors to show up on the temperature tab.

I checked if they show up by typing

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls /sys/bus/w1/devices/

and the respons shows 2 sensors and the usual bus check w1_bus_master1

the sensors showing up are the combined ones in the dht11 (temp and humidity)

but now back to the problem, I can't select them in the ui, they won't even show up in the dropdown. what did I do wrong, I enabled one wire in the config but every time I select it again it again asks me if I want to enable it. does this have anything to do with it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

terrapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share the output of the `ls /sys/bus/w1/devices/` command?
ofcourse!

IMG_1227.jpg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ofcourse!

IMG_1227.jpg
That’s odd, and will explain the situation. Ds18b20 sensors starts with 28-** , and reef-pi checks for that. That’s why reef-pi is not detecting these sensors .

do you see readings inside those directory. This check is ther to discard wrongly detected sensors that do not have readings. We have seen similar issues where wrong wiring or bad probes will be detected as 00-* device Ids but will not have any data .

what type of sensors you are using ? is it ds18b20 ? Do you have the wiring correct ? If it’s configured correctly those IDs will start with 28-

OP
OP
T

terrapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s odd, and will explain the situation. Ds18b20 sensors starts with 28-** , and reef-pi checks for that. That’s why reef-pi is not detecting these sensors .

do you see readings inside those directory. This check is ther to discard wrongly detected sensors that do not have readings. We have seen similar issues where wrong wiring or bad probes will be detected as 00-* device Ids but will not have any data .

what type of sensors you are using ? is it ds18b20 ? Do you have the wiring correct ? If it’s configured correctly those IDs will start with 28-
thank you for your help so far Ranjib. the sensor I used is a dht11 on a little breakoutboard so It has 3 pins. vcc output and ground.

ive used this sensor a lot with other projects so im 99.9% sure that its connected properly.

ive also used a ds18b20 sensor but that also didn't work
this one also sat on a little breakout board, could that be the problem?

is it a possibility to change that line of code u mentioned so the pi won't filter them out?

OP
OP
T

terrapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i also just discover the weirdest thing. I swapped out my dht11 sensor with just a regular ds18b20 sensor. then I ran the command again but still 2 sensors with the same beginning show up. could it be that Im using a wrong GPIO pin or is my pi just bad?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this makes sense. dh1* sensors are not one wire sensor (its a different protocol for hardware communication), so even if they have 3 wires, they will simply not work in place of ds18b20 sensor.

OP
OP
T

terrapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this makes sense. dh1* sensors are not one wire sensor (its a different protocol for hardware communication), so even if they have 3 wires, they will simply not work in place of ds18b20 sensor.
Aaah, that seems like the solution. But why does a ds18b20 sensor also not show up.
I’ve just ordered a dh20 sensor a few temp probes and one other humidity *one wire* sensor so I’ll check them out.
so far, thanks for helping!

Kuon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaah, that seems like the solution. But why does a ds18b20 sensor also not show up.
I’ve just ordered a dh20 sensor a few temp probes and one other humidity *one wire* sensor so I’ll check them out.
so far, thanks for helping!
Hi,did you manage to solve the issue? I have exactly same problem.I tried 3 temperature sensors ds18b20 but none is working.

OP
OP
T

terrapi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,did you manage to solve the issue? I have exactly same problem.I tried 3 temperature sensors ds18b20 but none is working.
Hi, yes I’ve come a long way with understanding sensors. I started with 3 different sensors just like you. None of them were showing up. Can you post a picture of the circuit you are using?

I found out that the biggest problem for me was the supply voltage and the used resistors.

hope to hear from you soon, would love to help you!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back