Reef-Pi The All In One Pi Challenge

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an interesting bug I discovered with my jeabo doser setup. The last two dosers which were run continue to be powered at very low power after turning off. I noticed the green indicator light is slightly lit up barely visable unless it's pitch black. The unit also emits a hum very quietly which you can only hear when you are an inch away from it. What would cause this? Why only the last two stay lit up you can see on pic below. I am wondering if this is a PCA bug with frequency or something where since 100% works now 0 isn't 0. Could a Darlington transistor leak voltage? How shod I troubleshoot this?

Probably unrelated but the doser also doesn't run below 50% speed at stock 1500 frequency has anyone tried changing this to see if it will allow scaling to 0%

IMG_20190619_014255.jpg
That is a very interesting observation. I have not experienced something like this, but I think i'll get jebao slave doser soon (they are very cheap, and cost wise make sense instead of building individual peristaltic pump based system (that i use right now), i have a scope (thanks to @robottaway ) that i can use to test this sorta things.

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very interesting observation. I have not experienced something like this, but I think i'll get jebao slave doser soon (they are very cheap, and cost wise make sense instead of building individual peristaltic pump based system (that i use right now), i have a scope (thanks to @robottaway ) that i can use to test this sorta things.
What do you mean by a scope to test?

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update there is a detectable 0.01v to 0.02v coming out of the PCA at all times which appears to be just enough to allow the Darlington transistor to send some 12v power to light up the led's. Is there some sort of way I could use a resistor to block that from happening?

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I'm not an expert but after going through the driver code I think that https://github.com/reef-pi/drivers/blob/1ff7409a57aa164dce063234c64ee702483d5e8c/pca9685/hal.go#L146 is to blame as in order for the PCA to be fully off the value should be 4096 and fully on should be 0 as these are special case values according to the Adafruit-PWM-Servo-Driver-Library https://github.com/adafruit/Adafrui...05a7bca/Adafruit_PWMServoDriver.cpp#L105-L115
Ooh that’s a nice find. Let me test this out . Thank you for digging this out :)

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! I didn't even think of mounting the mini-xlr connectors into the existing mounting hole for the pot knob. My connectors finally showed up today, so I'm definitely going to use this.

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! I didn't even think of mounting the mini-xlr connectors into the existing mounting hole for the pot knob. My connectors finally showed up today, so I'm definitely going to use this.
It worked great and looks great you can see how my cables fit and are just long enough too from the picture to mount this way. It looks professional lol

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting update

Check this out - My fish is stupid and I probably am too... TL;DR flash crashed the tank with pH calibration solution because it apparently has a bunch of phosphate. Still worried about other things which I don't know are in it killing fish and coral.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ph-calibration-toxic.617610/#post-6192870

pH probe is stupid accurate. I calibrated on 7.01 rinsed then 10.01 rinsed then tested back in each and it was dead on.

cfc3b7032fa1ff0c3a9044c6c7d2f203.png

A. I want to shoot @Ranjib for not rounding that number :D
B. I wish 0 wasn't there so I wouldn't have to wait for data to fill in.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting update

Check this out - My fish is stupid and I probably am too... TL;DR flash crashed the tank with pH calibration solution because it apparently has a ******** of phosphate. Still worried about other things which I don't know are in it killing fish and coral.

pH probe is stupid accurate. I calibrated on 7.01 rinsed then 10.01 rinsed then tested back in each and it was dead on.

O is not there in the data actually, its a weird thing the charting library is doing (UI/javascript). We'll sort out the ph thing :) . Keep us posted on the chart. I love to see these screenshots, I find them immensely inspiring. Before this project a decent ph setup would cost hundred plus USD (probe+IC + voltage isolator), collectively as a community we built this ph monitor and now its under 100$ and fully opensource (software and hardware).How cool is that :)

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O is not there in the data actually, its a weird thing the charting library is doing (UI/javascript). We'll sort out the ph thing :) . Keep us posted on the chart. I love to see these screenshots, I find them immensely inspiring. Before this project a decent ph setup would cost hundred plus USD (probe+IC + voltage isolator), collectively as a community we built this ph monitor and now its under 100$ and fully opensource (software and hardware).How cool is that :)
It's pretty cool but for the love of god please implement the minimum and maximum chart values for pH like you have for the temperature graph as it's pretty unhelpful to see a flat line ;). It has swung by .1 unit but you can't even see that lol. I can't tell if it's jittery to troubleshoot those huge mv swings I saw on the mv scale either without being able to zoom in. Please and Thank you!

881576919ea09a4cac259725626e5c95.png

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty cool but for the love of god please implement the minimum and maximum chart values for pH like you have for the temperature graph as it's pretty unhelpful to see a flat line ;). It has swung by .1 unit but you can't even see that lol. I can't tell if it's jittery to troubleshoot those huge mv swings I saw on the mv scale either without being able to zoom in. Please and Thank you!

881576919ea09a4cac259725626e5c95.png
A quick hack for getting rid of this graph issue will be to recreate the probe in disabled mode. apply calibration and then enable it.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting update

Check this out - My fish is stupid and I probably am too... TL;DR flash crashed the tank with pH calibration solution because it apparently has a ******** of phosphate. Still worried about other things which I don't know are in it killing fish and coral.

Wait. What happened to the fish!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back