Reef-Pi The All In One Pi Challenge

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a question. people on this thread talk about keeping costs down. And - Btw - there is also hobby value -not lost here. But. If you take your hours working on 'stuff' - and etc - wouldn't an apex make more sense. Besides the fun (and I grant it probably is) - what is the point? Its kind of like saying - I want to keep my food cold - so I'll design a refrigerator/freezer on my own...

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a question. people on this thread talk about keeping costs down. And - Btw - there is also hobby value -not lost here. But. If you take your hours working on 'stuff' - and etc - wouldn't an apex make more sense. Besides the fun (and I grant it probably is) - what is the point? Its kind of like saying - I want to keep my food cold - so I'll design a refrigerator/freezer on my own...
If your hours had value yes obiously. But for most of us we have free time and are nerds who love geeking out on this stuff. Plus this is open source and I try to use all open source products so I can tinker with them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your hours had value yes obiously. But for most of us we have free time and are nerds who love geeking out on this stuff. Plus this is open source and I try to use all open source products so I can tinker with them.

Thats what I said - However - given the recent 'animal welfare bent' that this site seems to have taken recently (with which I partially very partially agree) - the experimentation may become problematic if there are issues.

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I said - However - given the recent 'animal welfare bent' that this site seems to have taken recently (with which I partially very partially agree) - the experimentation may become problematic if there are issues.
Not really sure what your referring to... We're not experimenting on animals here. If your testing something then you always do it where it won't affect your tank. Besides most people watch their tank at least daily and can notice if something fails. I haven't seen anyone crash their tank with reef pi and I have seen people crash their tank with apex. Moral of the story is don't be a dunce and monitor your tank closely even if you have automation.

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, any automation even if you are experimenting with it is more likely going to save more fish and coral then it is going to kill in the long run. Fish and coral deaths happen either way.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, any automation even if you are experimenting with it is more likely going to save more fish and coral then it is going to kill in the long run. Fish and coral deaths happen either way.

Thanks - many people have crashed tanks with Apex lol:) I would assume it could be the same. Thanks for the explanation

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bigtrout Amazon sent me the package next day air with the DS3231 and the LIR2032 batteries so it showed up on my door super early this morning.

It was super easy to install and configure this RTC thanks for the suggestion! This will hopefully prevent any huge errors due to my ****** internet and weather!

Hopefully, @Ranjib adds this as a first module which should be built before anything else because it was definitely a beginner level and much easier than most of the other modules!

I am already working on adding this to my other pi's ;)

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7cbf8972f30f7ae83a40cef3c3fefcbc.png
996e3d47dd03a9fec466d662a0dc1e4e.png
a6361cab76ae70491c1b112d4e4c2ee6.png
01ed0aa508fcad6e10c414d232e48412.png

You're using the doser as a timed dose, not a volume dose?

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see how you cabled your reef-pi into the doser housing. I understand you went with the jebao slave doser. Could you post pictures of the inside of the case, or a wiring diagram detailing the circuits? I'd like to try to make this work with a pico board.

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're using the doser as a timed dose, not a volume dose?
It's based on volume. Reef-Pi doesn't have a volume or calibration thing built in yet so you have to calibrate by hand and calculate the duration needed at x speed to get the volume you want.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's based on volume. Reef-Pi doesn't have a volume or calibration thing built in yet so you have to calibrate by hand and calculate the duration needed at x speed to get the volume you want.

That is good to know. They are doing a great job building in these features as we move forward. I'm happy to be part of this process.

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see how you cabled your reef-pi into the doser housing. I understand you went with the jebao slave doser. Could you post pictures of the inside of the case, or a wiring diagram detailing the circuits? I'd like to try to make this work with a pico board.
So the jeabo slave doser has a rj 45 cable to connect to a jeabo doser. All that's needed is to get a rj cable connector or cut the end off the cable. Nothing has to be done to the doser itsself.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the jeabo slave doser has a rj 45 cable to connect to a jeabo doser. All that's needed is to get a rj cable connector or cut the end off the cable. Nothing has to be done to the doser itsself.

You just wired the doser into the pins directly, then? The doser, I assume, uses an external power supply as well? No idea, as I've never seen one in person.

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just wired the doser into the pins directly, then? The doser, I assume, uses an external power supply as well? No idea, as I've never seen one in person.
Here are some pictures.

DP4S-4.jpg

The RJ 45 cable for the slave doser carries the power and signals from either the master or reef pi.

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wires from the doser come to this board and go into the 12v power to drive the dosers and the outside of the Darlington transistor. The Darlington transistor scales the 5v pwm signals from the PCA to the 12v pwm needed for the doser.
d39a0ab25213957aa442038dc6b9c9df.png

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Personally, I prefer to invest my time in building things. I had the pleasure of learning how to drill glass, and fabricate all manner of things for this hobby, partially because I'd rather spend my time, than my money, but also because I'm a nerd and I enjoy working with my mind and my hands. I'm also enjoying being part of this project, because in my opinion, neptune has this market basically cornered and from a tech perspective there is no reason I should spend $1000+ dollars buying something I could build for a fraction of the cost. To be honest, if I could build my own freezer, the way I wanted it, for a fraction of the cost, i would totally build my own.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wires from the doser come to this board and go into the 12v power to drive the dosers and the outside of the Darlington transistor. The Darlington transistor scales the 5v pwm signals from the PCA to the 12v pwm needed for the doser.
d39a0ab25213957aa442038dc6b9c9df.png

The doser can be powered externally, correct? I suppose I would just need signalling to go to the motors in the housing. I think I can figure that out.....

Back