OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The doser can be powered externally, correct? I suppose I would just need signalling to go to the motors in the housing. I think I can figure that out.....
The RJ cable carries the power so it would be easiest to power it through the cable like it was intended and power off of the 12v going to your reef pi and Darlington transistor. I suppose you could open it up and attach 12v directly to it but this would require etching the motherboard inside.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RJ cable carries the power so it would be easiest to power it through the cable like it was intended and power off of the 12v going to your reef pi and Darlington transistor. I suppose you could open it up and attach 12v directly to it but this would require etching the motherboard inside.

Pico board is a bit different....

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I am starting to see some useful information on my PH monitor but had a question. Does a larger negative mean the ph is higher or lower? For example, is -9000 more acidic or more basic then -9500? Just trying to understand as I have 2 days until my calibration fluid is here so it will then read properly.

8bc1c4e3b243ec5fca08b92bd2995b22.png

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pico board is a bit different....
I meant the motherboard inside of the jeabo slave doser if you wanted to power that directly with 12v instead of going through the cable. I am not sure how you would set this up on a pico board. Does the pico board have a pca9685 built in that you can connect to for signals? If it does then I assume you would need to break out to a board like mine and just connect a Darlington transistor to up the 5v pwm to 12v pwm and then also conenct the doser wires to 12v. If it doesn't have a PCA built in then you could connect a pca9685 through the SDA, SCL then go to the a break out board.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I am starting to see some useful information on my PH monitor but had a question. Does a larger negative mean the ph is higher or lower? For example, is -9000 more acidic or more basic then -9500? Just trying to understand as I have 2 days until my calibration fluid is here so it will then read properly.

8bc1c4e3b243ec5fca08b92bd2995b22.png

The closer to positive values, the higher the pH, was my experience.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant the motherboard inside of the jeabo slave doser if you wanted to power that directly with 12v instead of going through the cable. I am not sure how you would set this up on a pico board. Does the pico board have a pca9685 built in that you can connect to for signals? If it does then I assume you would need to break out to a board like mine and just connect a Darlington transistor to up the 5v pwm to 12v pwm and then also conenct the doser wires to 12v. If it doesn't have a PCA built in then you could connect a pca9685 through the SDA, SCL then go to the a break out board.

The pico board can handle the signalling, but I would not try to have it power the pumps because my current power supply can't handle it, and I don't think the board allows for it. It was initially designed for use with nano and pico reefs in mind with a pi-zero as the computer, so the functionality is fairly limited, but it does provide all the functions I need on my 90 gallon. I'm testing it's application with a pi3b, because I already had one dedicated to the project, so I'm available to test the pico board, and any USB functions that might come along. I also wanted to take advantage of the additional resources the pi3 provides.

Garold R Seifert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your build log so far. I had a question about your float switches. I bought the same ones and was wondering how did you wired them up to the pi?

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pico board can handle the signalling, but I would not try to have it power the pumps because my current power supply can't handle it, and I don't think the board allows for it. It was initially designed for use with nano and pico reefs in mind with a pi-zero as the computer, so the functionality is fairly limited, but it does provide all the functions I need on my 90 gallon. I'm testing it's application with a pi3b, because I already had one dedicated to the project, so I'm available to test the pico board, and any USB functions that might come along. I also wanted to take advantage of the additional resources the pi3 provides.
That's cool that it has signaling so I assume it's just 3.3/5v pwm signal and needs to be scaled up to 12v with Darlington transistor on breakout board and it sounds like you will need a 12v power supply as well to run the doser.

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New parts ordered

ESUPPORT Blue 12v 15 Led 30cm Car Flexible Waterproof Underbody Light Strip Pack of 8

Will be trying to control these with the 12v PWM from my Darlington and PCA

I hope I can dim these to almost 0 as I would like to implement a full lunar cycle where it gets brighter and dimmer.

The uln2803 is fast enough that you should get good dimming, just watch the current thru the chip, there is a per channel max, but the chip will fry if you go over the chip max which is NOT 8 times the per channel max

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The uln2803 is fast enough that you should get good dimming, just watch the current thru the chip, there is a per channel max, but the chip will fry if you go over the chip max which is NOT 8 times the per channel max
I only plan to use 3 strips of 3 leds one per side and one for middle of the tank. I think each LED is 20-30mA at peak brightness and each of the 8 Darlington pairs of the ULN2803A can do 500 mA max according to http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/uln2803a.pdf so I think I am good on the current. Am I correct in thinking I am good?

I also have 5 more if I do fry one ;)

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only plan to use 3 strips of 3 leds one per side and one for middle of the tank. I think each LED is 20-30mA at peak brightness and each of the 8 Darlington pairs of the ULN2803A can do 500 mA max according to http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/uln2803a.pdf so I think I am good on the current. Am I correct in thinking I am good?

I also have 5 more if I do fry one ;)
Yes.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need to move my PH sensor so it is not influenced by my kalk and 2 part dumping into the sump lower/more negative is more basic

4b2c22ffc2ade4c82490da715178ec16.png
This looks very similar to my experience. I think its correct, we'll know for sure after a week and calibration

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks very similar to my experience. I think its correct, we'll know for sure after a week and calibration
Amazing thanks for all your help so far I am really loving this more and more. Any way you can add my build thread to https://reef-pi.github.io/additional-documentation/resources/ . I can't wait to see more development on things like kh and calc and mag monitoring as well as ammonia and nitrate and phosphate. I know it's only a matter of time.

OP
OP
AquaRaider44

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an interesting bug I discovered with my jeabo doser setup. The last two dosers which were run continue to be powered at very low power after turning off. I noticed the green indicator light is slightly lit up barely visable unless it's pitch black. The unit also emits a hum very quietly which you can only hear when you are an inch away from it. What would cause this? Why only the last two stay lit up you can see on pic below. I am wondering if this is a PCA bug with frequency or something where since 100% works now 0 isn't 0. Could a Darlington transistor leak voltage? How shod I troubleshoot this?

Probably unrelated but the doser also doesn't run below 50% speed at stock 1500 frequency has anyone tried changing this to see if it will allow scaling to 0%

IMG_20190619_014255.jpg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing thanks for all your help so far I am really loving this more and more. Any way you can add my build thread to https://reef-pi.github.io/additional-documentation/resources/ . I can't wait to see more development on things like kh and calc and mag monitoring as well as ammonia and nitrate and phosphate. I know it's only a matter of time.
LOL. I dont know, some of those things are really hard. I was hoping more of optical/image analysis based tank monitoring, introspecting time series data for our sensors and predictively alert (learn about the tank's health), have sharable profiles to reproduce a specific coral growth under a specific setup etc.. those are all viable and I can see coming..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back