Reef Safe 3D Printing Filament

Arc Flash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it to print with, not for my reef tank but just normal prints...and its not very good..seems to pop a lot... Ive had great luck with AIO Robotics PLA, I have a frag rack in my 40gal. grow out, with not problems. Used black AIO Robotics PLA at 205c.

jjstecchino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used eSun black ABS to print my locline and penductors. No issues whatsoever. Been in the tank for 9 months and covered with coralline. Tried eSun black PLA but doesnt last long in salt water as it becomes quite brittle in a few months. ABS seems much better.

ReefPodd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody,

Let's create a master list of known reef safe filaments. Please post the filaments you have had success with and I will update this initial post accordingly. Please include the manufacturer, plastic type and colour.

Copolyester
colorFabb nGen White​
Hatchbox PETG White​
MG Chemicals PETG Black​
eSun PETG Black, White​
3DSolutech Black​
Amazon Basics Black​

PLA
Hatchbox Blue, Black, White, Green​
Prusa Silver​
MakerGear Black​
3DSolutech Clear Green, Black​
ZYLtech Black , Translucent​
Hobby King Orange, Coffee​

ABS
Gizmo Dorks Hot Pink​
Prusa Blue​
Hatchbox Black, Orange, Blue, Clear, White, Green​

Recommended Against
3D Hero PLA

Discuss and enjoy!

Disclaimer: These filaments have been known to work in member tanks and appear to be safe, this in no way ensures it will be 100% effective or safe in all tanks.
On Friday 11/22 NPR’s Science Friday aired an episode on dying coral reefs and the restoration efforts underway. One technique involves 3D printing coral reefs to help rebuild them. The reef hobbyist networks were discussed as a grassroots level resource that may help. The scientists on the show said that the actual reef dives to restore the reef are the time consuming and limiting factor. This and “Chasing Coral” on Netflix are two recent interesting pieces created to help increase awareness of the dying reef habitat. But this was the first I’ve heard of printing the actual reef!

dstrz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used glow in the dark filament? Just wondering if it is safe?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used glow in the dark filament? Just wondering if it is safe?
Are you asking about glow int eh dark or UV reactive?

For glow in the dark, it may depend on what makes it glow. Here's what 3D Insider has to say about it

"low in the dark filaments are basically standard ABS or PLA filaments infused with a phosphorescent material. The most commonly used of these phosphorescent materials is strontium aluminate, although zinc sulfide and calcium sulfide are still used in some capacity. In a way, they are made in a very similar way to other composite materials such as carbon fiber filaments, magnetic filaments, and wood filaments... "

strontium aluminate is supposedly non-toxic,
zinc sulfide may be toxic if the plastic it is contained in begins to break down.
calcium sulfide may also be toxic, Some information i was able to uncover using google is that it tend to decompose when it comes in contact with water.

I suppose for any of these to be an issue, it would require the plastic to first degrade and release the compounds in the filament.

With that said, it seems like a filiment I wouldn't use in the reef tank.

dstrz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you asking about glow int eh dark or UV reactive?

For glow in the dark, it may depend on what makes it glow. Here's what 3D Insider has to say about it

"low in the dark filaments are basically standard ABS or PLA filaments infused with a phosphorescent material. The most commonly used of these phosphorescent materials is strontium aluminate, although zinc sulfide and calcium sulfide are still used in some capacity. In a way, they are made in a very similar way to other composite materials such as carbon fiber filaments, magnetic filaments, and wood filaments... "

strontium aluminate is supposedly non-toxic,
zinc sulfide may be toxic if the plastic it is contained in begins to break down.
calcium sulfide may also be toxic, Some information i was able to uncover using google is that it tend to decompose when it comes in contact with water.

I suppose for any of these to be an issue, it would require the plastic to first degrade and release the compounds in the filament.

With that said, it seems like a filiment I wouldn't use in the reef tank.
THANKS!
I was going to get this, but I guess not now.
Gizmo Dorks Low Odor ABS 3D Printer Filament 1.75mm 1kg, Glow in The Dark Blue
Better safe than sorry!

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i use the cheap Sunlu PLA and Petg because it actually prints like a dream (crazy i know) but it really does. has anyone tried their black or white Petg filament IN their tank?

OmegaAquculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys ,

after doing some research on degradation rates I found a study (2017) of PLA in saltwater showing there is ALMOST NO degradation after a year!

PLA filament degradation in saltwater long term

Yes, PLA is biodegradable but the conditions in both fresh and saltwater prevent It from degrading at the same rate it would in soil.

so rest assured that PLA prints should be fine submerged long term!!

-Pete-

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing a study for fulament brand filament and have determined the same. No color fade and no degradation.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with this to some extent. However, not all PLAs are equal as I'm sure you have also figure out.

But also, in our testing, we have had a MUCH higher fail rate of PLA parts in saltwater for long periods of time in terms of it getting brittle. For snap-fit parts and other parts that require some flexibility, this is an issue. However if your part does not have those requirements , i think it is generally pretty safe, and given a good filliment, durable over time.

For us, the main thing we look at are what are the compounds that make up the pigment. Most black filaments use carbon, while others use compounds you may or may not want in your reef tank.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ZYLtech PLA - black , transluscent
Hobby King PLA - Orange, Coffee (which is a more dark purple/maroon color)

Super thin pieces definitely degrade over time, but I've printed myself some little PVC weirs of PLA almost a year ago and those are still going strong with no sign of degradation.
I've printed: mushroom boxes, custom weirs, custom powerhead covers (they broke pretty fast because of the constant force pulling them), frag racks (hanging & for the floor), carbon holders, a holder to keep my auto feeder on the side of a bucket and some other random nonsense.
I even tried to print hermit crab shells (hobby king coffee color) with skulls at one point, but they floated which obviously wasn't super helpful in the end, but they looked pretty cool! Might try that again one day and just weigh them down for a bit :p

crabshell.png

Totally cool! Did this ever work out where you have a bunch of hermits running around with skull shells? lol

I'm just getting started in 3d printing and never thought about printing shells. Great idea because my halloween crab is wayyy outgrown his shell. Any one have plans for a halloween crab shell? =)

obet_carlos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody tried using Resin printed items in their reef aquarium? With the new resin printers, under $400, we can now print small items with very high accuracy and resolution compared to fdm printers. I was wondering if it is safe to use these 3D printed items in our reef tanks?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody tried using Resin printed items in their reef aquarium? With the new resin printers, under $400, we can now print small items with very high accuracy and resolution compared to fdm printers. I was wondering if it is safe to use these 3D printed items in our reef tanks?
We are experimenting with that right now. With that said, the raw resin is pretty toxic when it comes to sea life, but certain resins when properly cured may not be.

However - just about ALL resins will become brittle in a short period of time as they get more exposure to UV light. UV light causes the print to continue to cure, and most reef lights have heavy amounts of UV light.

I think it would be fine for items not intended for prolonged use in the water, and for areas around a tank that is not commonly exposed to UV light.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are experimenting with that right now. With that said, the raw resin is pretty toxic when it comes to sea life, but certain resins when properly cured may not be.

However - just about ALL resins will become brittle in a short period of time as they get more exposure to UV light. UV light causes the print to continue to cure, and most reef lights have heavy amounts of UV light.

I think it would be fine for items not intended for prolonged use in the water, and for areas around a tank that is not commonly exposed to UV light.

Was about to say the same

obet_carlos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mean "with certain resins"? Are these the resins we use for 3D printing? Just the normal resin. If the only issue is getting more brittle thru time, then we can do trial some trials. My concern is that will these cured resin 3d prints leach something to our system? The details on these resin prints are truly superb compared to our FDM prints. Both types of prints has its uses on our systems.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mean "with certain resins"? Are these the resins we use for 3D printing? Just the normal resin. If the only issue is getting more brittle thru time, then we can do trial some trials. My concern is that will these cured resin 3d prints leach something to our system? The details on these resin prints are truly superb compared to our FDM prints. Both types of prints has its uses on our systems.

yes - just to be clear, were talking about SLA 3D printing resins (as opposed to FDM 3D printing plastics)

Some resins are "bio compatible" and are not necessary toxic once it is properly cured according to the manufactures. But, I have not 100% verified that for myself yet.

As far as getting brittle - given enough UV light exposure, and where not talking about a lot, it can get brittle to the touch in a matter of a few days with the typical reef-light schedule. Again - this can vary depending on the particular resin being used.

Ive done a few clear Random Flow Generator™ Nozzles for use in our Demo Tanks (with NO reef lighting) and they look pretty cool, but they don't last very long. They tend to get brittle and break at the connector after just a week or two of continuous use.

Last edited:

obet_carlos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes - just to be clear, were talking about SLA 3D printing resins (as opposed to FDM 3D printing plastics)

Some resins are "bio compatible" and are not necessary toxic once it is properly cured according to the manufactures. But, I have not 100% verified that for myself yet.

As far as getting brittle - given enough UV light exposure, and where not talking about a lot, it can get brittle to the touch in a matter of a few days with the typical reef-light schedule. Again - this can vary depending on the particular resin being used.

Ive done a few clear Random Flow Generator™ Nozzles for use in our Demo Tanks (with NO reef lighting) and they look pretty cool, but they don't last very long. They tend to get brittle and break at the connector after just a week or two of continuous use.

maybe you can use tough/rigid resin or mix some flexible resin for some bending.. Thing is, you can mix resin types to get your desired mechanical characteristic.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is, you can mix resin types to get your desired mechanical characteristic.
that I have not considered - but now that you mentrion it, that makes sense. I would assume if you were going to mix resins you would need to mix simiar brands with similar chemical make ups?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back