Reef Safe 3D Printing Filament

CenCalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried Atomic crystal clear petg filament? I figure because it’s pure virgin petg with no added colors would make it pretty “reef safe” or less likely to leach any additives such as pigments etc
image.jpg

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried Atomic crystal clear petg filament? I figure because it’s pure virgin petg with no added colors would make it pretty “reef safe” or less likely to leach any additives such as pigments etc
image.jpg
Its safe - Not just because it's made from US sourced virgin plastic, but also because of some the process and standards they stick to. Actually spoke to the owner over their recently about their filaments and processes. We use Atomic on a few of our parts. Have not used the clear, but have used the Black PETG from Atomic and are using the the clear blue.

For best results print it hot, with very little part cooling ;)

CenCalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its safe - Not just because it's made from US sourced virgin plastic, but also because of some the process and standards they stick to. Actually spoke to the owner over their recently about their filaments and processes. We use Atomic on a few of our parts. Have not used the clear, but have used the Black PETG from Atomic and are using the the clear blue.

For best results print it hot, with very little part cooling ;)
10-4 I read some of the brands people were using and not to knock them but I knew if they are using them then I can rest assured the filaments I’m using are going to be okay to use in the reef aquariums:) Also thank you for your response and tips I’ll be sure to give my next prints the goodies they deserve.

Bioballs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used PLA, with no problems at all. I've had parts in the tank for over a year.

SOmetimes when parts break at joints and transitions, it is just from low heat and one layer didn't adhere well to the one under it.
I have prusament galaxy black pla that I want to print a RFG do you think that will be fine

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what they use for the sparkles in the black but, I don't think I would trust it.

You could contact them and ask.

Derek Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any info on the safety of ASA for reef tanks? It has some good properties like water and UV resistance that would make it a good candidate for some parts I'm making, but I am not sure about toxicity.

Derek Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any info about using ASA in reef tanks? It has some properties like water and UV resistance that make it seek like a good candidate for some parts I'm currently making out of PETG, but I can't find any info on toxicity.

jser388

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I printed a Nem guard for my mp10 out of gst3d pro pla black, an apex probe holder out of the gst3d pro pla light blue and a frag rack out of hatchbox ptg black all held up really well,

harley628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody,

Let's create a master list of known reef safe filaments. Please post the filaments you have had success with and I will update this initial post accordingly. Please include the manufacturer, plastic type and colour.

Copolyester
colorFabb nGen White​
Hatchbox PETG White​
MG Chemicals PETG Black​
eSun PETG Black, White​
3DSolutech Black​
Amazon Basics Black​

PLA
Hatchbox Blue, Black, White, Green​
Prusa Silver​
MakerGear Black​
3DSolutech Clear Green, Black​
ZYLtech Black , Translucent​
Hobby King Orange, Coffee​

ABS
Gizmo Dorks Hot Pink​
Prusa Blue​
Hatchbox Black, Orange, Blue, Clear, White, Green​

Recommended Against
3D Hero PLA

Discuss and enjoy!

Disclaimer: These filaments have been known to work in member tanks and appear to be safe, this in no way ensures it will be 100% effective or safe in all tanks.
The hatch box black abs you speak of how long has it been in your reef ?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hatchbox ABS. Blue, grey, probably other colors, as well. Have printed many frag racks with this filament, in tank use for years now. Showing no sign of degradation. A cardboard box over my printer keeps ABS fumes to a minimum and helps with temperature induced warping.

Yousu Grey PETG. Used for brackets, clamps, mounts, etc. No problems in tank use. Nice, strong PETG, though I'm constantly fighting stringing when I print with it.

I use FilamentOne ASA for prints that require UV and weather exposure. Good stuff, lasts outdoors much longer than ABS does. Been planning to try it in a marine environment, but haven't done so yet. Print temp of 255c. Doesn't stink as bad as ABS does, but has some of the same trouble with temperature warping.

I'm quite surprised to see folks having luck with PLA in aquaria. In my experience, PLA breaks down quickly when exposed to water. Printed some kids toys in Hatchbox PLA and Priline Flex PLA. Ended up mush at the bottom of my swimming pool. You guys coating these with some sort of finish?

Chriscorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody happen to have or know where to get a file to print a nem guard for a Neptune WAV pump? I found already printed ones on Etsy but would like to print my own

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back