Reef Safe 3D Printing Filament

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody,

Let's create a master list of known reef safe filaments. Please post the filaments you have had success with and I will update this initial post accordingly. Please include the manufacturer, plastic type and colour.

Copolyester
colorFabb nGen White
Hatchbox PETG White
MG Chemicals PETG Black
eSun PETG Black, White
3DSolutech Black
Amazon Basics Black​

PLA
Hatchbox Blue, Black, White, Green
Prusa Silver
MakerGear Black
3DSolutech Clear Green, Black
ZYLtech Black , Translucent
Hobby King Orange, Coffee​

ABS
Gizmo Dorks Hot Pink
Prusa Blue
Hatchbox Black, Orange, Blue, Clear, White, Green​

Recommended Against
3D Hero PLA

Discuss and enjoy!

Disclaimer: These filaments have been known to work in member tanks and appear to be safe, this in no way ensures it will be 100% effective or safe in all tanks.

Last edited:

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used PLA, with no problems at all. I've had parts in the tank for over a year.

SOmetimes when parts break at joints and transitions, it is just from low heat and one layer didn't adhere well to the one under it.

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point to this thread is to name the exact ABS/PLA that you used. There are many posts from reefers saying they use "ABS" and/or "PLA" with success, but they never specify which of the dozens of brands and colors that are available that they use for reefing.

Yes! I'm all for a measure of when structural issues first arose.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point to this thread is to name the exact ABS/PLA that you used. There are many posts from reefers saying they use "ABS" and/or "PLA" with success, but they never specify which of the dozens of brands and colors that are available that they use for reefing.

Yes! I'm all for a measure of when structural issues first arose.
Or you could have replied, simply asking what brand I used.

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I used ABS, but I did have some weird bacteria bloom problems with my tank. I was sort of worried if that might have anything to do with it but its hard to know at this point. I don't think I ever had any structural issues with ABS or having it break. However I only ran the tank maybe less than a year.

I think most of what I used was this stuff from Amazon named Gizmo dorks. I was trying to find something red colored at the time and didn't realize this stuff was hot pink lol. So I used it up on my tank stuff to get rid of it. So if I get some more run time on it I let you know how it goes. I was thinking of setting up a 40 Gal Breeder tank in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ITZQANE/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I used ABS is that bad for reefs or we just don't know for sure?

ABS is perfectly safe, a lot of the commercial products use ABS (powerheads, skimmers, etc). What brand and color have you had success with?

I've used PLA, with no problems at all. I've had parts in the tank for over a year.

SOmetimes when parts break at joints and transitions, it is just from low heat and one layer didn't adhere well to the one under it.

Great, thanks for your input! What brand and color?

Well I used ABS, but I did have some weird bacteria bloom problems with my tank. I was sort of worried if that might have anything to do with it but its hard to know at this point. I don't think I ever had any structural issues with ABS or having it break. However I only ran the tank maybe less than a year.

I think most of what I used was this stuff from Amazon named Gizmo dorks. I was trying to find something red colored at the time and didn't realize this stuff was hot pink lol. So I used it up on my tank stuff to get rid of it. So if I get some more run time on it I let you know how it goes. I was thinking of setting up a 40 Gal Breeder tank in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ITZQANE/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Excellent, thanks, I'll add it in!

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Prusa PLA & ABS. Prusa filament is extruded in Europe with euro made resins.

I’m going to try some PVC next

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The machine came with silver colored PLA which I used to print a filter sock basket. So it sees pretty high flow. I printed two additional filter baskets in blue ABS. All three have been in use for a while with no issues.

I not really sure if PLA will hold up long term, as it is considered biodegradable.

I think PVC would be the best along with ABS. All of those black bulkhead fittings are ABS, not pvc.

basement reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a black eSun PETG overflow in my planted tank that has been in use for about 2 years now.

A month or so ago I used white eSun PETG to print a phosphate reactor for my reef tank.

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using Hatchbox PLA black for some RFG nozzles...I'll update in a few weeks if everything in my tank dies :p

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I just use whatever PLA is cheapest on ebay so it varies a lot :p I've got parts printed in black, red, white and used to have a blue part. No ill effects in the tank that I know of and only the blue part broke (because I accidentally leaned on it) and even then it was a very under extruded print to start with.

It's a bit hard to rule a certain filament as "reef safe" though and that's probably not the right word to use here. When people read "reef safe" they will automatically assume that it is tested and proven to be safe for your inhabitants. Maybe instead specify that the list is for filaments have been used in tanks with no known adverse effects to the printed part or the inhabitants?

While some parts might only last 6 months before breaking is it the filament being in water, being under UV, being eaten by bacteria or the print quality that caused it to break? (no easy way to confirm as far as I know) If a tank with 3D printed parts in it crashes how do you prove it was the 3D printed plastic that caused the crash? It could take anywhere from days to months for anything 3D printed to have a negative impact (and that's if it ever will) maybe the 3D printed part being added before the crash is a coincidence but it will likely get the blame as it is an unknown?

I like the idea of a list of filaments others have tried though and hopefully people report back and keep everyone updated with how prints go in their tanks long term, but maybe edit the OP to just remind people that just because a filament in on this list that doesn't mean it is actually "reef safe" or 100% risk free.

From now on I will try and get the brand names of the filaments I use in the tank so I can contribute :)

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but maybe edit the OP to just remind people that just because a filament in on this list that doesn't mean it is actually "reef safe" or 100% risk free.

Wait, you mean not everybody takes what they read on the internet with a grain of salt? o_O

You do make some extremely good and valid points, but don't read too much into this. There is no science behind this, period. 99% of this forum is anecdotal, so we don't need to get too picky about using the term "Reef Safe". This list is mainly for newcomers to feel more comfortable with their first few prints. Most of us who are both experienced in printing and reefing are not going to care, like you randomly buying the cheap stuff off eBay or me randomly trying MG Chemicals on a whim (dirt cheap, prints like garbage, lol).

All that to say, sure, I'll throw up a disclaimer. And yes, please get us some names!

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, you mean not everybody takes what they read on the internet with a grain of salt? o_O

You do make some extremely good and valid points, but don't read too much into this. There is no science behind this, period. 99% of this forum is anecdotal, so we don't need to get too picky about using the term "Reef Safe". This list is mainly for newcomers to feel more comfortable with their first few prints. Most of us who are both experienced in printing and reefing are not going to care, like you randomly buying the cheap stuff off eBay or me randomly trying MG Chemicals on a whim (dirt cheap, prints like garbage, lol).

All that to say, sure, I'll throw up a disclaimer. And yes, please get us some names!
Lol I truly wish everyone did read everything with a grain of salt (or a drop of NSW? :p) and assume everything written on forums etc. is anecdotal.

I only brought it up as I have recently been realizing more and more that when posts are well written or use certain phrases (like "reef safe" etc.) a lot of people (mostly newbies) seem to assume it is a proven fact, especially on such a newbie friendly forum like R2R (because it is such an awesome place) :)

I'm definitely keen to see other peoples feedback on long term PLA usage. My bacteria filled PLA nitrate reactor in my sump is still going strong as (coming up on 1 year in the sump)!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back