Reef Safe Angelfish: Lamarck Angelfish or Swallowtail Angelfish?

Lamarck or Swallowtail?

• Lamarck Angel

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Swallowtail Angel

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Angelfish would be better for my tank? I have a 120G SPS dominated tank. I am considering adding an angel and was originally interested in the Lamarck since they seem to be relatively inexpensive. Recently, I discovered they are considered "large" angelfish. After doing some research on reef-safe angelfish, it appears that Swallowtails are popular and smaller than other angelfish. Is this true? Does anyone have experience with one or both of these fish? Swallowtails are a much more expensive fish out of the two, but not sure if either would outgrow my tank.. Thanks so much!

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Angelfish would be better for my tank? I have a 120G SPS dominated tank. I am considering adding an angel and was originally interested in the Lamarck since they seem to be relatively inexpensive. Recently, I discovered they are considered "large" angelfish. After doing some research on reef-safe angelfish, it appears that Swallowtails are popular and smaller than other angelfish. Is this true? Does anyone have experience with one or both of these fish? Swallowtails are a much more expensive fish out of the two, but not sure if either would outgrow my tank.. Thanks so much!
I had kept Both in past and both didn't touched anything. If u see them nipping on corals, that means they r just picking algae or searching for food. As long as they r satisfied with their diet,they will not touch your corals. Swallowtails r good option(as they will swim in mid area and be far away from rocks) from both but I don't see any problem in Lamarck Angelfish. Still every individual is different.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your reef is safe with any Genicanthus species as they are all pelagic angels.

If size is really a determining factor, then G. melanospilos will be 2-inches smaller than the Lamark which grows to 9”, they also grow relatively slowly and may not reach full size in captivity. If you really want the smallest Genicanthus species, you should get a Watanabe, which maxes out at 6”.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had kept Both in past and both didn't touched anything. If u see them nipping on corals, that means they r just picking algae or searching for food. As long as they r satisfied with their diet,they will not touch your corals. Swallowtails r good option(as they will swim in mid area and be far away from rocks) from both but I don't see any problem in Lamarck Angelfish. Still every individual is different.
Thank you for the response! Did you notice one was bigger than the other? I am doing a tank transfer (transferring livestock from one tank to another). I currently have 2 clowns, royal gramma, and a leopard wrasse. I plan on adding a sunburst anthias, flamehawk fish, a purple tang, and a powder brown tang. Between the Swallowtail and Lamarck, which do you think would be the better option - size wise...I am looking for the smaller of the two? The powder brown and purple tang will be added last to the tank to avoid aggression.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your reef is safe with any Genicanthus species as they are all pelagic angels.

If size is really a determining factor, then G. melanospilos will be 2-inches smaller than the Lamark which grows to 9”, they also grow relatively slowly and may not reach full size in captivity. If you really want the smallest Genicanthus species, you should get a Watanabe, which maxes out at 6”.
Good point. If the Swallowtail is two inches smaller than the Lamarck, I'll probably go with the Swallow.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I think mature female swallowtails are really beautiful too, far more than the Lamarck. Just wait until they develop their streamers!
Works for me. I just worry about size and trying to avoid aggression the most....especially with two tangs in the tank. I plan on adding the two tangs after the angel.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A melanospilos is the go to reef safe angel! My go to RSWC angel is a Regal though.
I have had both and both were as reef safe as a clown. People say Genicanthus melanospilos max out at 7 inches, but mine was with me for 3 years, and she reverted but maxed out at 6 inches (Albeit she was a hybrid).
A8B8567E-3652-404C-9630-632A0D8A9FCB.jpeg

And my current Angel is a regal and if you’re intrigued in testing a more risky Angel, this is really a good starting point (Albeit their difficulty tag isn’t the best).
607C0525-5AF5-4B43-B2E1-E5760FFB3A33.jpeg

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had a lamark and it was fine when it was small.
as it got bigger, no where's near full grown, it got very aggressive with it's tank mates.
never bothered corals.
rehomed.

Thanks for the response. I'm actually going to go with the Swallowtail out of the two. They're a bit smaller in size and appear to be quite attractive. Lol.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back