Reef safe butterflies/angelfish. Do they really exist?

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
515
Reaction score
467
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there can be a lot of stipulation on whether or not truly reef safe butterflies or angelfish exist in this hobby. While I believe there is no true reef safe variety I do know there are a handful of species that show very little interest in bothering corals or small inverts. What species do you consider reef safe?
 
Yellow pyramid butterfly was reasonably reef safe. When I had one, he left most corals alone, but would pick on acans. He seemed to enjoy nori more than acans, though, so once I started feeding nori every day he left all the corals alone. He also ate aiptasia.

I miss him.
 
At far at angels goes ATM I have a 6-7” Lamark and triples of Cherub angels that been in my tank for years. I have pretty good luck with Pyramid and Zooster butterflies same go with Copperband
 
Yellow pyramid butterfly was reasonably reef safe. When I had one, he left most corals alone, but would pick on acans. He seemed to enjoy nori more than acans, though, so once I started feeding nori every day he left all the corals alone. He also ate aiptasia.

I miss him.
I have one in my reef tank currently and he's a model citizen, they really are great fish.
 
My swallowtail angel in my 150.
I have had issues with pygmy's but so far no issues with the Swallowtail in 1.5 years.
20260214_111649.jpg
 
I've got a captive bred Coral Beauty that has been a model citizen. I am strictly SPS though, no meaty corals or clams to pick at.
 
Longnose butterfly - he tasted almost everything in my tank during the first week, even though I feed the tank four times a day. His favorite was my red acan, so much that I had to put it in a cage because he was so persistent. I've also seen him nip at my sun coral and duncan, but only a few times. He doesn't care about euphyllia, mushrooms or gonis.
 
I have a coral beauty and a flame that are both model citizens. Very skiddish, but I haven't had any problems with them. I got them when they were very small and have kept them on 6-7 meals/day which I think curbs most of the coral pecking when they are constantly full.
 
I'd argue yes. But the term 'reef safe" is very vague and debatably doesnt mean anything.
 

Attachments

  • 510343817_10237452181221525_3893203669844825693_n.jpg
    510343817_10237452181221525_3893203669844825693_n.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 510747805_10237433255228387_2507242681034351016_n.jpg
    510747805_10237433255228387_2507242681034351016_n.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 510972967_10237433356670923_2586760635580937928_n.jpg
    510972967_10237433356670923_2586760635580937928_n.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 510974555_10237433252868328_6049301741271216139_n.jpg
    510974555_10237433252868328_6049301741271216139_n.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 12

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new