Reef safe mantis shrimp?

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there such a thing? Is there a species of stomatopod that has no interest in corals or fish? I don't mind it taking out some hermits and snails. Also the aquarium is a 125 gallon with a 4 inch sand bed and is well established.

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a green mantis (smasher, not spearer) in a small reef. Never bothered any fish, coral, or my long spine urchin. Any shrimp, crab or snail was fair game though.

OP
OP
Shabalaba

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a green mantis (smasher, not spearer) in a small reef. Never bothered any fish, coral, or my long spine urchin. Any shrimp, crab or snail was fair game though.

Do you remember or know if it Gonodactylellus viridis? Which is the species I've most considered..

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was Gonodactylus chiragra. My lfs ordered it in as a peacock (Odontodactylus scyllarus) but received the chiragra from their supplier. I went ahead and took the little guy/girl home because they were going to destroy it had I not. Turned out to be a great addition and lived a little over 3yrs before the tank crashed (error on my part). Didn't touch any corals, other than some zoas that it covered digging around, and didn't look at any fish. My female clown would chase the mantis if it got to close to her nem. But I did keep the mantis very well fed.

OP
OP
Shabalaba

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was Gonodactylus chiragra. My lfs ordered it in as a peacock (Odontodactylus scyllarus) but received the chiragra from their supplier. I went ahead and took the little guy/girl home because they were going to destroy it had I not. Turned out to be a great addition and lived a little over 3yrs before the tank crashed (error on my part). Didn't touch any corals, other than some zoas that it covered digging around, and didn't look at any fish. My female clown would chase the mantis if it got to close to her nem. But I did keep the mantis very well fed.

Thanks for the info! I've heard chiragras can be aggressive so I didn't consider them as much, and perhaps now i will ;)

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a neogonodactylus wennerae that came in as a hitchhiker on my live rock. Been in the tank since 1/2016 and never bothered anything besides the occasional snail and crab.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back