Reef Safe Plastics

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been in the reef aquarium hobby for about 4 years now and I am a mechanical engineering student in college with a big interest in 3D printing. I would like to use the knowledge I have to better my reef tanks by printing any parts or things that I need.

Searching through Reef2Reef and other forums I find a lot of talk about ABS, PLA and other more coming plastics however barely any definitive answer as to which one is really safe for reef tanks. I know there aren't definitive studies on the long term affects of plastics in reef tanks however most if not everyone does keep plastic in their aquariums. For those people who have used ABA, PLA or PETG how have those plastics held up in your aquariums? And for anyone who has extensive knowledge in plastics and chemistry in general what is your opinion on using Nylon or Nylon X ( carbon fiber infused)? And finally what type of plastics to industry leaders like ecotech and other companies make their products out of? Thanks for the help, cant wait to see the responses!

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both ABS and PLA are reef safe. A lot of our equipment uses ABS.

PLA however, WILL degrade if kept in water. Different brands degrade at different rates; the degradation is technically a carbon source so it is completely reef safe. I would not hesitate to use PLA in my tanks if it was for something non-structural (like an algae clip for example). I used PLA for an ATO part once and after about 18 months it wore out.

Most of the parts I print for the tank I use PETG and have for quite some time now without issue.

Nylon filament should also be perfectly reef safe.

Also, check out this thread about 3d printing and vote please if you have not already:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/get-any-part-you-need-right-here.321961/

Here is a thread that might contain more of the answers you are looking for:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-safe-plastics.175329/

OP
OP
Oscar47f

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

PLA however, WILL degrade if kept in water. Different brands degrade at different rates; the degradation is technically a carbon source so it is completely reef safe. I would not hesitate to use PLA in my tanks if it was for something non-structural (like an algae clip for example). I used PLA for an ATO part once and after about 18 months it wore out.

Most of the parts I print for the tank I use PETG and have for quite some time now without issue.

Also, check out this thread about 3d printing and vote please if you have not already:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-safe-plastics.1

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-safe-plastics.175329/

Thank you for the info! And I voted ! Hopefully we do get a sub forum!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, there are very few commercially available plastics that are any concern in a reef (very likely none, but some may not be structurally suitable or stable long term in certain applications ).

The concern can be what a particular manufacturer might choose to put into the plastic as a filler, antimicrobial agent, uv protectant, antioxidant, etc.

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a list anywhere on which brands, types and colors are reef safe? The plastics themselves I'm not concerned about, but more the additives and colors.

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any concern with using a carbon fiber impregnated Nylon? It's basically shredded carbon fiber, along the lines of a fiberglass filled plastic. I'm assuming the carbon fiber would be safe. The nylon is black but does not appear to have colorant added (the color is from the carbon). It's called Onyx, MSDS excerpt for composition is below:
Onyx.JPG

Caprolactam appears to be common in many 3D Nylon filaments, I don't know anything about it.

I use this material to make measurement and testing fixtures, it's really strong. With a proper design you can approach the strength of an Aluminum fixture. Sometimes even better since you can do things with a 3D printer that would be basically impossible to machine. Our printer can even inlay a filament of carbon fiber (like fishing line), using a second feed head. I wouldn't be using that for my aquarium widgets though.

If you think it should be safe, I'll try it out and add it to the safe list if it works out.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just resurrecting this ask the same thing.

I've had a friend print an adjustable skimmer stand in PETG and the bolts in carbon fiber infused nylon.

Will the bolts be OK?

Take a look through this thread to see if anyone has posted anything about it.

Otherwise, maybe ask in the Reef Chemistry forum. I can't seem to tag Randy.

Faithbleed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, there are very few commercially available plastics that are any concern in a reef (very likely none, but some may not be structurally suitable or stable long term in certain applications ).

The concern can be what a particular manufacturer might choose to put into the plastic as a filler, antimicrobial agent, uv protectant, antioxidant, etc.
I'll try replying to his comment about to summons the legend himself.

I did do a bit a searching in the forums, but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

It does seems like MOST filaments will be just fine.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back