Reef safe silicone to prevent leak?

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my aquarium used for a very low price a little over a year ago. It’s a 120 gal 4’x2’x2’ with a couple of pieces of glass on top to provide extra strength. It’s a good tank with no leaks yet but I have noticed bubbles in the seams. I want to apply a couple of pieces of glass over the seams to buy myself more time similar to how gallery aquatica did on YouTube recently.

is there a reef safe silicone that can set underwater safely?

OP
OP
K

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see the part about setting underwater - but I'm curious - why?
I don’t have a set up to move all the corals and fish into temporarily without buying more things, so it is a way to avoid draining the entire tank, if I have to drain it in the end then that is what I’ll have to do but if I can avoid it it would be nice

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I and fairly certain there is no silicone that is safe to set underwater to reef life, furthermore, it would also affect getting a good adhesion.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He said he removed some of the animals. So not reef safe? Why would he remove fish and corals if it is reef safe? Which animals needed to be removed?

Also he shoved some sand out of the way, didn’t clean the glass. I would still say it will affect adhesion but a person could do a better job at that part.

That’s cool stuff it sets under water but I feel like half this video is missing information.

I would contact Sally’s to ask them about their product. It says 10 yr warranty above waterline. I am not sure the adhesion and if it is meant to carry a load or if it is just for sealing or what.

Edit, found this: Note: Not suitable for PE, PP, PTFE, permanent water immersion or plugging leaks subject to pressure. Avoid subjecting to water pressure or movement until fully cured.

This video left me with so many questions.

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He said he removed some of the animals. So not reef safe? Why would he remove fish and corals if it is reef safe? Which animals needed to be removed?

Also he shoved some sand out of the way, didn’t clean the glass. I would still say it will affect adhesion but a person could do a better job at that part.

That’s cool stuff it sets under water but I feel like half this video is missing information.

I would contact Sally’s to ask them about their product. It says 10 yr warranty above waterline. I am not sure the adhesion and if it is meant to carry a load or if it is just for sealing or what.

Edit, found this: Note: Not suitable for PE, PP, PTFE, permanent water immersion or plugging leaks subject to pressure. Avoid subjecting to water pressure or movement until fully cured.

This video left me with so many questions.

Quite an interesting product and I must admit that I did not know there was an underwater silicone. However, as you bring up @Tamberav , it leaves a lot of questions that need answers before employing the product. Contacting the company seems easy enough. However, a quick search shows that it looks like one would have an easier time finding a three-legged ballerina than locating this product in the U.S. Maybe the manufacturer would be willing to ship from Australia. Even if they were, though, I suspect shipping would be quite a long time frame or super expensive if expedited.

I don’t have a set up to move all the corals and fish into temporarily without buying more things, so it is a way to avoid draining the entire tank, if I have to drain it in the end then that is what I’ll have to do but if I can avoid it it would be nice

If you do end up draining and relocating tank inhabitants and you want to save money then I’d suggest using a plastic tote to do so.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh - I thought from the beginning - that you had already emptied the tank since it was leaking.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I and fairly certain there is no silicone that is safe to set underwater to reef life, furthermore, it would also affect getting a good adhesion.
There are products that can be used - however - none of the ones I read about would I consider using in a reef tank with living coral and fish. Most products I found that are 'aquarium safe' - require a dry surface.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Having repaired many many tanks, You can drop water level and work with it but Ideal is to empty the tank and cut away old silicone, clean with alcohol and apply a generous bead using aquarium sealant such as Aqueon (my favorite) or all glass aquarium brand.
There are marine epoxies for underwater use but they are meant for use with boats and other components like sonar accessories.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A set up can be as simple as a brute tote /trash can for your rock - with a canister filter. You can also put some of your stuff in your sump - with a heater and flow. Everything I've seen suggests that 1 bubbles may not mean anything and 2. Certain tanks with problems (depending on the brand, etc - should be replaced rather than repaired. My guess is by the time you find a product - and put it in. You're then going to be concerned that it could still leak - etc - and in any case it seems like you're going to need to do something different with the tank (ie. drain it). NOW - if the bubbles are getting worse or you're noticing changes - I would drain the tank ASAP -- if the changes are not 'worsening' that alone buys you some time to make a plan to fix or replace the tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS just out of curiosity - can you show a picture or 2 of where you're wanting to repair - and how you're planning to do it (with or without water)

OP
OP
K

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS just out of curiosity - can you show a picture or 2 of where you're wanting to repair - and how you're planning to do it (with or without water)
273C918D-F767-4E32-93FC-7D95A067002F.jpeg
DD4CE141-32ED-4F64-9F27-D555CBAA9D42.jpeg

The method of doing what I want is in the video Glassmunky just posted right above. If it is a bad idea or not worth it I won’t do it, but out of curiosity what makes it a bad idea? Is it not a reef safe silicone or the surface area not large enough for the glass to provide enough support?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The method of doing what I want is in the video Glassmunky just posted right above. If it is a bad idea or not worth it I won’t do it, but out of curiosity what makes it a bad idea? Is it not a reef safe silicone or the surface area not large enough for the glass to provide enough support?
What makes it a bad idea? The adhesion would suck on wet slimy glass lol.. it’s one thing to seal a pinhole or something but doing anything structural you need a super clean and dry piece of glass for the best adhesion… personally looking at your pictures I wouldn’t mess with it! You have that trim on top and bottom it should be fine.. a rimless tank would be a different story.

OP
OP
K

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes it a bad idea? The adhesion would suck on wet slimy glass lol.. it’s one thing to seal a pinhole or something but doing anything structural you need a super clean and dry piece of glass for the best adhesion… personally looking at your pictures I wouldn’t mess with it! You have that trim on top and bottom it should be fine.. a rimless tank would be a different story.
Gotcha, makes sense. Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Not abnormal to see this and often does not signify a weakness. If you want to address it, you dont want to place sealant over the top of it. . . . Plan to cut away the old bead and apply a new one and allow to cure well before refilling tank

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That looks like it's just the extra silicone that pushes out when the panels are assembled. All of my tank have done that, some more than others depending on how neat the the silicone was applied. There doesn't appear to be any seperation between the panels. I would just leave it alone. This is my 180 gallon. It was freshwater for 7 or 8 years and has been salt for close to 3 years looking this way. I thought of trimming it but haven't bothered. Every seam looks like that on this tank 20230204_100830.jpg

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%

Back