Reef Savvy Open For Business

Rio1969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to get my dream tank in the summer of 2022. Based on what I am reading in this thread I would have to start contacting Reef Savvy at the end of Spring beginning of Summer next year.

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I requested a quote from Reef Savvy and received a response within the week. We correspondence back and forth on dimensions and options because the height I wanted was to tall to go rimless. Once I settled on the tank dimensions and overflow options, I placed a deposit on the tank. I did email and call frequently to keep the conversation active and didn’t feel ignored through the quote process. Total it took about 3 weeks from initial contact until deposit placed. Reef Savvy quoted build time at nine months, but that does not concern me because the house it is going in does not currently exist.

OP
OP
K

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I requested a quote from Reef Savvy and received a response within the week. We correspondence back and forth on dimensions and options because the height I wanted was to tall to go rimless. Once I settled on the tank dimensions and overflow options, I placed a deposit on the tank. I did email and call frequently to keep the conversation active and didn’t feel ignored through the quote process. Total it took about 3 weeks from initial contact until deposit placed. Reef Savvy quoted build time at nine months, but that does not concern me because the house it is going in does not currently exist.
Wow you are incredibly fortunate and really happy for you. It sounds like they aren improving their request to follow-up backlog they have been experiencing this year.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that eliminates virtually every top custom tank builder out there. Certainly narrows down the list of builders which can be a nice side effect I guess :)

From the quotes that I've had it seems about a week max is the typical timeframe for quotes from 99% of builders, with the notable exception of Reef Savvy.
I had the same experience with Reef Savvy. Went to the Custom Aquariums site and had a response from the rep within a couple of days. Am very happy with them. Been 9 months and have never heard back from Savvy.

JPHawkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also tried to get a quote form savvy and never got a response. Emailed customaquariums.com and received a response a few hours later. I went with them. Tank will be here next week. 8- 10 weeks lead time. You can check out my build.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure Reefavvy is probably the best builder but for what reason? They cost the most and take the longest! Silicone work is overrated for me especially since I am adding a canopy. If I don't take care of my tank its going to look like crap regardless if its an 120 gallon aqueon or 120 reefsavvy. Miracle gave me a good price on tank and stand and delivered in 4 months. Planet aquarium was a near second but I cost factor goes way up when your above 400gallons

35538.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that eliminates virtually every top custom tank builder out there. Certainly narrows down the list of builders which can be a nice side effect I guess :)

From the quotes that I've had it seems about a week max is the typical timeframe for quotes from 99% of builders, with the notable exception of Reef Savvy.
not every company.

OP
OP
K

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure Reefavvy is probably the best builder but for what reason? They cost the most and take the longest! Silicone work is overrated for me especially since I am adding a canopy. If I don't take care of my tank its going to look like crap regardless if its an 120 gallon aqueon or 120 reefsavvy. Miracle gave me a good price on tank and stand and delivered in 4 months. Planet aquarium was a near second but I cost factor goes way up when your above 400gallons

35538.jpg

If you are talking pure quality of tank build then you would have to put TankMe USA way-up on that list.

OP
OP
K

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it took them 5 months to get back to me and said to build my tank would take 9 months to year:( so i went a different way
[/Q
I am planning to get my dream tank in the summer of 2022. Based on what I am reading in this thread I would have to start contacting Reef Savvy at the end of Spring beginning of Summer next year.
yes that is about the right timing to get serious about working with them.

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R i spoke to Felix last week. He is a really good dude. He expressed Covid was challenging to him. His Glass distributor closed and he had a hard time getting Glass due to the pandemic. He gets alot of estimates and still has alot of jobs. Massive jobs. He explained to me that he gives quotes and he physically touches every tank. He is going to start importing his own glass. Which is unheard of and he will be one of the only tank manufacturers to do something like that. Im going through the same challenges. Will ha e ro wait 912 month's. But my God it's worth the wait. Hes definitely in his own lane.
Believe it or not Reefsavvy was not the most expensive tank build by a landslide for me it was Tankmeusa. Nothing wrong with that since I'm not bargaining. If i was I should be looking for pre-made piece. By the way tankmeusa is also 9-12 months and was as slow to get back to me.
If you want best pricing for me that came from C2C. Again, this is only for my build. Im going ReefSavvy. I'll let you know of my journey in a couple of months

OP
OP
K

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d would suggest that before everyone automatically assume that Reef Savvy is in a league of their own, you need to see the workmanship from TankMeUSA. You quickly appreciate why they are expensive - you get what you pay for. Unbelievable quality, attention to detail and customer service. Gaston is completely obsessed in building high quality custom tanks. Plus how many aquarium builders offer white glove delivery service to your home!?

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Reef Savvy took off, they were so far past most of their competition especially on the overflow designs, rimless, high clarity, etc that they were what buyers with deep pockets wanted. Now there are a lot more options for the features they helped pioneer. They still build "Ferraris" but a "Corvette" can do everything it can do for less than the deposit of one. The idea that a company like Waterbox could build a tank with the most of the same features for a fraction of the price just wasn't a thing when they took off.

I am not saying companies like Waterbox and the like are on par quality-wise but what I am saying is that the gap between them has narrowed significantly.

Last edited:

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. The thing i would say is do what you feel can feel comfortable and sleep at night. I do agree warerbox is a good tank. Pre-built tanks are good and if yiur looking for a custom tank there are so many options. You have to do what you feel comfortable with.
For myself after speaking with most of them. I was close to all the major custom guys but ultimately Reefsavvy is what I felt gave me the most information, insight and comfortability. He also is not changing the price after suggesting bigger specs.
Again that is just my decision. Not trying to change anyone for it. I will say do your homework and see who you feel comfortable with.

mdavis52585

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R i spoke to Felix last week. He is a really good dude. He expressed Covid was challenging to him. His Glass distributor closed and he had a hard time getting Glass due to the pandemic. He gets alot of estimates and still has alot of jobs. Massive jobs. He explained to me that he gives quotes and he physically touches every tank. He is going to start importing his own glass. Which is unheard of and he will be one of the only tank manufacturers to do something like that. Im going through the same challenges. Will ha e ro wait 912 month's. But my God it's worth the wait. Hes definitely in his own lane.
Believe it or not Reefsavvy was not the most expensive tank build by a landslide for me it was Tankmeusa. Nothing wrong with that since I'm not bargaining. If i was I should be looking for pre-made piece. By the way tankmeusa is also 9-12 months and was as slow to get back to me.
If you want best pricing for me that came from C2C. Again, this is only for my build. Im going ReefSavvy. I'll let you know of my journey in a couple of months
Do you have contact information for Felix? I put a deposit on a tank 1 year ago but I cannot seem to get ahold of anyone at Reef Savvy via email or calling the 1-800 number. I don't care if the tank build is delayed but just want to talk to someone to make sure my deposit and order did not get lost.

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any luck? I'm at the 1 yr mark now and wondering the same thing. I have gotten through on the phone once or twice but never get an estimated timeframe sent back. I've found calling at the beginning of the month yields the highest likelihood of contact.

Luckily, my retirement house build is just as behind schedule so don't care about the delay. Just want confirmation that I am not forgotten and my 50% deposit is not lost. When I put the order in I was quoted 9 months from receipt of deposit.

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. I called a few times and Felix called me back. Rest assured we are not lost in the sauce and they have not closed up shop. Like everything else in this post-COVID world, there are multiple and significant disruptions to business as usual. From supply chain issues, suppliers going out of business, and material costs jumping 300%, there are significant headwinds they are navigating through.

Sounds like they should come out the other end better than before (assuming the COVID stuff ever ends). I'd just take the estimated build time with a grain of salt and add few more to account for the myriad issues outside their control that will add to the time.

Building our retirement house right now so I fully understand the issues, frustrations, and delays the current environment is wrecking on projects. I, personally, am willing to wait because I know he will be involved in building my tank and not some new hire brought in to increase output.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back