OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the corals I cut frags the week before moving fish (because getting the fish out required removing EVERYTHING from the tank). I put the frags on the frag rack in the pic in my old frag tank. A new tank was set up here when I moved the fish up. I added some sand since I had some extra.

On the day of the move I took the whole rack out of the frag tank and placed in a cooler and added enough water to cover. I also put in a 1" marine pure block that was in the frag tank. Frags were moved up here three days before we moved up,

Since it was raining today I finally was able to do some fish room stuff and tested alk for the first time. 5.2! So need to start dosing. Thought I'd have a little time since all the water was new but apparently not. They've only been in the tank for 10 days.

Here is the pic of the new frag tank.

IMG_1513.jpg

OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, since it was raining, I was able to set up the permanent plumbing for my RODI system. I adapted two 44 gal Brutes I got from a reefer getting out of the hobby (also got the RODI system from him) so have 80 gallons of holding capability. The RODI is a Spectrapure UHE system that they don't sell anymore I guess. Everything is automatic and run by float switches in the first brute. The system automatically flushes every hour or two using product water from the first Brute.

I should never have to turn on or off this system. It will just run when the low float triggers and shut off with the high float. That pipe with the cut-off valve will eventually run to the salt water mixing station.

Also, It appears I have no issues with the well water burning through DI resins so that worry was unfounded for me. I do have a water softener that removes all the hardness and Iron from the water and it seems to do a really good job.

Pics of the RODI system.

IMG_1516.jpg IMG_1515.jpg

OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since my last update. Too busy renovating pasture, putting in fence lines and gardens, getting cover crops planted etc...

Finally took some time today to get the lift system installed for my lights. It's a garage gator rated at 220lbs. Now I just need to figure out the frame to hang the lights (3 Phillips Coral Cares and 2 Kessil 500x). Neonreef3d is mocking up a 3D printed bracket to hang the coral cares on some T-slot. If that works out should be pretty easy to get everything put together and hung. Then push button up and down from then on!

unnamed.jpg

OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got the sump out of the crate in the garage and placed under the stand as well as the mixing barrels in place. You can also see that I painted the stands during rainy days. Just primed and put two coats of high gloss enamel after filling screw holes with flex seal paste. Not pretty but works.

Haven't decided if I will set up one or two water mixing barrels so have not connected them to the RODI system yet. I may set up both so I can have 100gal of capability to get things filled as well as always have 50gal extra for emergencies in the future. The main 50gal mixing barrel will have the auto change pump in it for automatic water changes with the Reef Genesis system.

Next up will be getting the 125gal in place and set up. May fill immediately and get things going there while I wait for the Reef Savvy tank. Thinking of using the package from TBS for that.

No word on the Reef Savvy tank yet.

unnamed-2.jpg unnamed-1.jpg

OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few issues with my frag tank. Things were receding and I had a Dino bloom. Hooked up my small UV and eventually got that under control. Also added a dottyback and neon blue goby along with a few pounds of TBS live rock to add biodiversity. Seem to have things stabilized now and most corals are improving.

For a while after this pic was taken I was still slowly losing my hammer and the pink pocillapora. Then I saw it: a gorilla crab that came in on the 5lbs or so of TBS rock. Had been in there for a month or so growing bigger. Speared him with a chopstick and the hammer is coming back and the pocillipora has stopped receding but they are about 80% bare skeleton now.

This is why I think the TBS is perfect for the refugium. The biodiversity is amazing--I have tunicates and sponges popping up everywhere--and the gorilla crabs can't get to the main tank. Though I plan to set traps if I go this route to catch while small anyway.

unnamed-3.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few issues with my frag tank. Things were receding and I had a Dino bloom. Hooked up my small UV and eventually got that under control. Also added a dottyback and neon blue goby along with a few pounds of TBS live rock to add biodiversity. Seem to have things stabilized now and most corals are improving.

For a while after this pic was taken I was still slowly losing my hammer and the pink pocillapora. Then I saw it: a gorilla crab that came in on the 5lbs or so of TBS rock. Had been in there for a month or so growing bigger. Speared him with a chopstick and the hammer is coming back and the pocillipora has stopped receding but they are about 80% bare skeleton now.

This is why I think the TBS is perfect for the refugium. The biodiversity is amazing--I have tunicates and sponges popping up everywhere--and the gorilla crabs can't get to the main tank. Though I plan to set traps if I go this route to catch while small anyway.

unnamed-3.jpg
Nice looking frags!

OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a little lull in farm stuff here until the fabric building arrives so I dry fitted the water change plumbing today. Here is where it is coming off the RODI supply.

unnamed-1.jpg

And here it is with the two barrels attached.

unnamed.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg

The pump in the middle will pump fresh water into the barrel. There is a toggle valve at the top where I can change which barrel is filled. Pumps on the sides will mix.

Haven't decided yet if I will use one or both. This was somebody else's system that I am adapting. If I use both will most likely keep each barrel separate. I don't see the point in connecting the bottom valves.

This will give me 100 gal of mixing capability and I can always keep 50 gal on standby for emergencies. Being a ~500 gal system this probably makes sense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the 125 in place today and installed the plenum. It is an under gravel filter.
unnamed-2.jpg

I kept one tube per plate and capped the other holes. Each tube has an air line inserted to the bottom under the plenum. I did this for maximum flexibility. My main thought was to allow slow passive diffusions of gases to minimize any hydrogen sulfide build up in the plenum. Note the carbon to hopefully absorb any foul odors.

I can also implement a reverse under gravel filter in the style of Paul B or Lasse--manifold the tubes together to run Paul B style, or utilize the airline to dose a carbon source directly into the plenum as Lasse does.
unnamed-1.jpg

And here it is with the crushed coral base layer.
unnamed.jpg

Next up will be putting in the deep sand bed and filling her up. Thinking to put a little water in to push the air out of the plenum before I cap with the DSB.

I also glued the PVC to feed the mixing station today so I am ready to leak test and start mixing.

I still need to figure out a fresh water top off reservoir somewhere. I have a line coming off the mixing station feed line that I can tie into the bottom of a container. Since this is connected to the main production system, and the line is below the float that turns the RODI system on, I will never need to fill the top-off container. It just needs to be taller than 26 inches so it is above the float that turns the system off. 28 inches will fit under the stand.

It has it's own ball valve so I can start operating before I get this piece added on.

OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting too cold and muddy to work outside so time for an update. About a week after the last post I set up the refugium. The DSB is 4-6" in depth and is comprised of caribsea unsorted aragonite sand and a bag of oolite. There is 60lb of Miracle Mud mixed in. I actually like the look.

On top I added 50lbs of Tampa Bay Salt water live sand and then added 60lb of Aussie liverock. I bought from The Coral Farm because it was a little cheaper and also paid for overnight shipping. One box got delayed by one day for some reason--price of rural living.

Goal was to maximize biodiversity while minimizing unwanted hitch hikers. So far seems to have worked. Been up 2 months and the Coraline is already growing back with no signs of vermetids, hydroids, bubble algae, etc. I did run a protein skimmer while the rock was curing.

I feed this tank 1ml of Reef Frenzy daily for the critters in the sand and rock. When I added the sand I also got a clean up crew from TBS. Everything has survived the cure--urchin, brittle stars, porcelain crabs and various snails and hermits.

unnamed-1.jpg

OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got the lights hung. Haven't decided on light cable management yet. Not the prettiest right now but it works and moves at the push of a button.

Because of the way the winch and bike hooks work it doesn't hang level--and this difference changes as you move up or down. To compensate I adjusted the hanging kits of each CoralCare individually to achieve level at light height.

unnamed.jpg

Finished plumbing the refugium overflow return to the sump today. I plan to use the dual life reef overflow as a Herbie overflow--so you can see the emergency stand pipe and the gate valve on the main drain line in the pics. Hopefully I'll have enough water height in the overflow box to get a full siphon for silent operation.
unnamed-3.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg

My original plan was to drill the sump for these lines but it is just too nice of a sump to drill holes in. Plus, there was really no logistically feasible way to do so--seems something is always in the way. I intentionally ran the lines into the skimmer chamber instead to the return pump chamber to hopefully prevent any debris from the refugium getting sucked up by, and potentially damaging, the return pump.

OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since its been cold and muddy out I have been slowly getting things done in the fish room. Instead of waiting for the tank to start using the sump I have completed the return plumbing and have the refugium running through the sump now. Also moved a few frags to the refugium in case something happens to the frag tank.
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-5.jpg

OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some plumbing pics.
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-4.jpg

The lower pipe is for the UV closed loop. Due to space I need to set it up here on the stand next to the tank. The upper line with the cutoff valve is the main return to the tank. Stuck a flow meter on there for fun. Will also have one on the UV return after the UV.

OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also see I got a BRS filter set up and connected to the sump. Put a little chemipure elite in there (a 50gal bag and 10gal bag) and nitrates have dropped from 25 to 0.2 so will need to keep an eye on that. Total system volume is now around 130gal. That line on the floor is the UV closed loop line that will be coming from the main tank overflow side of the closed loop. Abyzz A100 to be connected after the cut off and will push water up to the UV.
unnamed.jpg

OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also finished setting the lights up and got the controllers attached. Kessil power comes from the circuit on the right, and CoralCares from the circuit on the left. This is as good as my cable management skills get!
unnamed-3.jpg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also finished setting the lights up and got the controllers attached. Kessil power comes from the circuit on the right, and CoralCares from the circuit on the left. This is as good as my cable management skills get!
unnamed-3.jpg
This is one beauty of a build, and I'll Def be watching

OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also need to give a shout out to Royal Exclusiv. The sump and skimmer were bought back in 2021 and I just ran the pumps for the first time 2 weeks ago. The skimmer controller did not operate correctly (think it may have been configured for 230V and not 110V). They sent me a new controller without question (other than if it was the first time I ran it). Also sent a return label so I could send the original controller back.

Felix is saying March for the tank. I hope so because I'd really like to get it all running before the growing season really starts. Otherwise may not have time to finish.

Working on aqua scape now. Then hooking up the UV and figuring out the water change system. From there I'll just need to do the overflow lines and connect to the sump once the tank arrives.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while so a few updates.

Finally figured out a way to mount the UV and finished the closed loop. Just need to attach the flow sensor and plumb to the tank once in.

unnamed-5.jpg

OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also did the rock work. Ended up mortaring several base piece sections then the large rock is stacked on top. Only way I could figure to get it done now and still be able to get into the tank. Could mortar in the tank but it'd be a mess. Also gives me a little flexibility in the final aquascape since it will probably be near impossible to get it rebuilt in the tank exactly as it is now.

unnamed-1.jpg unnamed.jpg unnamed-2.jpg unnamed-3.jpg

Goal Was to have a lot of hiding places and rock tiers/levels for coral placement

OP
OP
C

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also hooked up the doser for balling salts. Just don't have the demand right now to set the DaStaCo up.

unnamed-4.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back