Reef scape shapes: How many arches do you have in your reef tank?

How many arches do you have in your reef tank?

Votes: 85 18.5%

Votes: 126 27.5%

Votes: 110 24.0%

Votes: 48 10.5%
  • 4 or more

Votes: 90 19.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Arches are a key aquascape feature in many reef tanks that provide cover for the fish, mounting locations for corals, and visual beauty to onlookers. You can add different sizes, shapes, and numbers of arches. These may be DIY arches, prefab arches offered by multiple vendors, or arches created by the careful arrangement of an assortment of reef rock. What is your experience with arches in your reef tank? Please let us know in the discussion if you have any tips or thoughts to share about arches! Oh, and we encourage you to share pictures!!!

JackRavensbergen_Arches.jpeg

April 2021 Reef of the Month; Photo by @Jack Ravensbergen

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5E8D3C2A-CE86-456D-B3EF-80CACA7D5EE2.jpeg

They do add character and depth to the tank. Creating arches was my main reason for going through the process of breaking up dry rock and then glueing it back together.
Not to mention the reduction of dead areas by not having excessive contact points on the bare bottom
Vacuuming is so much easier.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cool and is great for flow but on the down side the fishies got no where to hide or sleep lol.. I don’t have any in my current tank but next week in my big boy I’ll have a couple that comes with it..
0D1E6EAC-2CAC-4077-862A-528EA38F5CC6.jpeg

Jack Ravensbergen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Arches are a key aquascape feature in many reef tanks that provide cover for the fish, mounting locations for corals, and visual beauty to onlookers. You can add different sizes, shapes, and numbers of arches. These may be DIY arches, prefab arches offered by multiple vendors, or arches created by the careful arrangement of an assortment of reef rock. What is your experience with arches in your reef tank? Please let us know in the discussion if you have any tips or thoughts to share about arches! Oh, and we encourage you to share pictures!!!

JackRavensbergen_Arches.jpeg

April 2021 Reef of the Month; Photo by @Jack Ravensbergen
Thanks for the post , Update.. :)
March '23
20230312_111954.jpg

Just one arch left...
Grtz jack.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Single lame-o arch for me,,, although I have a little, full pass-through cave through my other rock pile that my PJ cardinal likes to swim through (almost counts):

FTS_2023_1.JPG

*picture just to make all those with "nice" setups feel good about themselves... doh!

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No arches, but a few tunnels. I want my fish to feel secure and be able to hide completely. May be not as eye pleasing, but my aquarium is for the fish well being.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always include one because I like the way they look. We are currently trying to aquascape our tank and honestly, the hardest part is trying to get height in a 25” tall tank.

We have agreed we like this center arch. We like the idea of spires on one side (I need more rock). But we are still having problems with the other side (which is currently just a pile of rubble). We did try 2 arches and didn’t like the way it looked.

75F2AE30-34ED-41E4-9CD5-2F33270BBFC5.jpeg

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo from early November, which was 2 months in and a crummy photo from today. I went for the negative space overhangs and multiple arches/paths through. Due to the angle, it looks taller and bigger in person than the photo, but for reference there's about 3 inches behind it and it's about half as tall as the tank.
20221114_170049.jpg
20230313_111528.jpg

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have an "arch" per say. I just stack rocks into nice piles and sometimes I bridge the gap between two with a long skinny rock. Ive never broken dry rock and rebuilt it. I just go for a natural piled up look.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back