Reef Spotlight - August 2011 - "M&M"

rafy_pr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean system!!! the choice of colors fill the tank perfectly!!! Everything looks healthy and thriving!!!!! Congratulations as tank of the month!!!

clowndude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mark, I noticed you switched to special blend for your bio-pellets. How long ago did you make that switch? I'm going to put my bio pellets back online when I move all my fish out of the QT, but I'm going to run the bio-pellets from BRS this time instead. What kind of seeding period would you suggest and did you start off with half the recommended bio-pellets to start with?

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mark, I noticed you switched to special blend for your bio-pellets. How long ago did you make that switch? I'm going to put my bio pellets back online when I move all my fish out of the QT, but I'm going to run the bio-pellets from BRS this time instead. What kind of seeding period would you suggest and did you start off with half the recommended bio-pellets to start with?

Hi Nick,I did make switch to special blend a while ago,don't remember when.I started with 1/3 of recommended dose of bio pellets,then couple weeks later another 1/3 and finally the rest of bio pellets about two weeks after that.Hope it makes sense to you.

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a bad thing, but I only do WC when I remember to do it. Usually about once a month 10% of tank volume.

guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you let us know what you dose ( Names and amount ) daily, weekly and or monthly??

Thanx
Guy

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you let us know what you dose ( Names and amount ) daily, weekly and or monthly??

Thanx
Guy

Sure, 2 drops of Lugol's by Brightwell every other day,10 drops CoralAmino by Brightwell daily,Special Blend by Microbe Lift 40ml once a week,two part from BRS (Ca and Alk) 90ml. daily each.

Der ABT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as others have said very nice set up
your making me itch to finish mine, actually have the exact same tank going up soon upgrading from my 90g.
I really like the simplicity of the sump etc just looks nice and clean down there.
coral choices are also about the same as whats in my 90 right now so i really cant wait to transfer over and get that extra width, just too funny how many of the same corals i have..
Once i went bare bottom i will never go back....i like the look of sand but i really love bare bottom for cleanliness.

Would love to see any pics of the set up in its early stages (rockwork etc)

couple quick questions
I have 2 mp40's on my 90 gal and still feel like i could use some more flow...do you find any dead spots or detritus build up? i know i get a few but its probably from my rock work.

Do you have a sand bed in your sump or any macro's?

Any thing you would change or suggest before i set my tank up? (overflow too loud, cover the over flow etc)

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as others have said very nice set up
your making me itch to finish mine, actually have the exact same tank going up soon upgrading from my 90g.
I really like the simplicity of the sump etc just looks nice and clean down there.
coral choices are also about the same as whats in my 90 right now so i really cant wait to transfer over and get that extra width, just too funny how many of the same corals i have..
Once i went bare bottom i will never go back....i like the look of sand but i really love bare bottom for cleanliness.

Would love to see any pics of the set up in its early stages (rockwork etc)

couple quick questions
I have 2 mp40's on my 90 gal and still feel like i could use some more flow...do you find any dead spots or detritus build up? i know i get a few but its probably from my rock work.

Do you have a sand bed in your sump or any macro's?

Any thing you would change or suggest before i set my tank up? (overflow too loud, cover the over flow etc)

Hi,thank you.As far as flow goes right now I feel that I am fine with 2 MP40 pumps.My rock work is set very loosely in two islands right in the middle of my tank.Water flow around and through with no problems.If your rock work is more of a wall type you might have some flow issues.I do not have any sand in sump right now or any macro's.My system is based on bio pellets and they do a great job in keeping nutrients down.I will be changing few things in the near future and one of main issues I have is dirty sand.When I set up this tank there was plenty space around rock to get to sand and clean it.Now with corals grown like this I have no way of cleaning my sand.So I will be removing sand from DT and go BB.However I will use sand in sump instead.Also I will get rid of some of my corals and give the rest of them more space to grow.I love the look of big, mature colonies.I did use this overflow kit:GEO-SP2 Premium Aquatics - GEO-SP2 Aquarium Supplies,it is very quiet.Here is my thread ,you can see progression pictures of my tank:https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/63391-m-ms-120-gal-reef.html

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you have gotten all that growth in a year?? Or were most of your colonies already large. Just curious because that is alot of growth. Beautiful tank I have almost an identicle set up except I also run a fuge. Keep reefin man you have a talent there.

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back