Reef tank feeding

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef tank and I have a question about nutritional feeding.

I have 2 Oscillaris Clownfish, 2 Peacock Cardinals, a Diamond Goby, a GSP, a short spine urchin clean-up crew consisting of some snails, a fighting conch, and some peppermint shrimp. For food I have San Fransico Bay Brand Frozen Seaweed Delight, and San Fransico Bay Brand Multi-Pack consisting of Marine Cuisine, Emerald Entree, Omega Brine Shrimp and Plankton. I also have Freeze dried River Shrimp and Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp, Formula Two Flakes from Ocean Nutrition, and Sera Marine 0-Nip Treat tab sinking pellets. I would like to limit my stock a little bit more, and I'm just curious with what I have, what I should focus on more. I have a Yellow watchman Goby, candy stripe pistol shrimp, pincushion urchin, feather duster worm, 2 blue stripe neon Gobies, and some more hermit crabs on the way, as well as an Electric Flame Scallop on the way. I would just like to have a smaller well rounded selection of foods for my tank inhabitants and I'm looking for any advice I can get. Thanks

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switch between marine cuisine frozen, brine shrimp, and flakes from omega. My corals always get spot red reef roids and it works wonders. You could probably do a selective amount of frozen and try reef roofs or a similar product.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Variety is essential and best answer I can give is to feed a pinky nail portion. If they can eat that in 5-10 minutes, you can add one more portion.
Easier to add food than to remove it. Their stomachs are small and they will beg all day with no where to put if they kept eating

OP
OP
D

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have my Green Star Polyp right now, which is a photo grower, so it doesn't need anything but the lights right now. As I start adding more corals though I know they need the trace elements and some of them will need phytoplankton and other meaty foods, like reef-roids, but I'm not there yet. Thanks

OP
OP
D

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Variety is essential and best answer I can give is to feed a pinky nail portion. If they can eat that in 5-10 minutes, you can add one more portion.
Easier to add food than to remove it. Their stomachs are small and they will beg all day with no where to put if they kept eating
Yeah, I cut about that much of usually 2 different types, thaw it in water and then add it to the tank, as I've noticed if I don't thaw it, it gets sucked right into the intake of my filter pump. that usually seems to do the trick, and then the next day I'll do the same amount with a different food blend. It seems to be working pretty well, I was just wondering if there was a way I could reduce the assortment while still giving them a well balanced diet. Thanks for the help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah, I cut about that much of usually 2 different types, thaw it in water and then add it to the tank, as I've noticed if I don't thaw it, it gets sucked right into the intake of my filter pump. that usually seems to do the trick, and then the next day I'll do the same amount with a different food blend. It seems to be working pretty well, I was just wondering if there was a way I could reduce the assortment while still giving them a well balanced diet. Thanks for the help
I place 2-3 types in a small restaurant type solo cup and allow to thaw then spoon feed.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with small dried pellets and was going to buy flake and feed live food like copepods/ brine shrimp 2 times a week then read threads on here about starting a culture if white worms and fishes live them and also buying fresh clams and oysters/ scallops and all the shellfish food then freeze them and defrost what's needed each day and feed them to tank.well main thing I feed now is the shellfish food and all tank inhabitants love them.
I also got 6 variety of frozen foods which feed every other day one kind.as for example steak is great for us but not every single meal and variety and balanced diet for us is better so I use this same attitude for my tank and try feed best variety I can.
Including green algae sheets from oceans nutrition as struggle to find dried plain nori in my city .
So I hear you when you say you want to minimise the amount of different foods you feed but my opinion is should have lots of different food that you feed your tank to get that variety.

Fwiw I don't feed the dried pellets that often at all and never did buy the flake food or start a white worm culture but still want to start the worms lol

OP
OP
D

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place 2-3 types in a small restaurant type solo cup and allow to thaw then spoon feed.
I have a smaller plastic cup than a solo cup, and since I have a
Diamond Goby, I let some of it sink so he can get it. I have a Fighting Conch also, so I let him have a chance to get to it too.

OP
OP
D

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with small dried pellets and was going to buy flake and feed live food like copepods/ brine shrimp 2 times a week then read threads on here about starting a culture if white worms and fishes live them and also buying fresh clams and oysters/ scallops and all the shellfish food then freeze them and defrost what's needed each day and feed them to tank.well main thing I feed now is the shellfish food and all tank inhabitants love them.
I also got 6 variety of frozen foods which feed every other day one kind.as for example steak is great for us but not every single meal and variety and balanced diet for us is better so I use this same attitude for my tank and try feed best variety I can.
Including green algae sheets from oceans nutrition as struggle to find dried plain nori in my city .
So I hear you when you say you want to minimise the amount of different foods you feed but my opinion is should have lots of different food that you feed your tank to get that variety.

Fwiw I don't feed the dried pellets that often at all and never did buy the flake food or start a white worm culture but still want to start the worms lol
I forgot I have a refugium with 2 containers of copepods in there also. I am looking to add more types if I can find them.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nice avatar Ying yang!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back