Reef tank on a tiny island

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Charlotte Kiely, Apr 14, 2019 at 12:20 PM.

1. Charlotte Kiely

Charlotte Kiely Member UK Reef Club Member

So I have placed the deposit for my new tank, super excited! Count down to 8 weeks!
    I live in quiet a remote location on a small island (3 miles long) in the UK with no access to a fish store and every time i want to get fish i have to get a boat to the other island to get them. The boat only runs from May to September each year. So makes having a marine tank an impossible hobby. I currently have a 260l set up but moving to a much better 500 litre tank with 215 litre sump. But due to my location restrictions I am going to be doing an artifical reef.
    My current fish are:
    1 regal tang
    1 clown
    1 lonely chromis
    1 yellow tail blenny
    1 six line wrasse
    1 flame angel fish
    1 sleeper banded goby

With the new tank I am wanting to get more chromis for my lonely one who lost his friends over the winter and possibly a butterflyfish and maybe some other smaller fish. :)

So I am looking forward to starting my next adventure with what I am hoping will be the best reef aquarium I can have. Screenshot_20190409-072753_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190414-144443_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 2:51 PM
    cracker, Hemmdog, JoshH and 7 others like this.

2. reef lover

reef lover It's a reef thing.... R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Hudson Valley Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor

Looking forward to seeing it!

3. Peace River

Peace River Member R2R Supporter

I admire your commitment to the hobby and I truly hope that you will share more about your adventure as it unfolds! I'm not sure what the collecting regulations where you live, but have you thought about setting up a native fish tank with small fish from the local area?

4. Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer Older than dirt! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Sounds like it’s going to be a great tank :)

Hemmdog and Charlotte Kiely like this.
  5. Jomama

Jomama Marine fish monthly R2R Supporter

Thanks for sharing , comrade

Hemmdog and Charlotte Kiely like this.
  6. Charlotte Kiely

I have had one in the past, but instead did a rock pool tank, but the fish are no way as great as a reef tank. We don't have tropical waters so alot of the fish are pretty dull except for the wrasse of course ;) plus I love having fish I get to see when I am on my holidays snorkelling reefs :)

Hemmdog likes this.
  7. Hemmdog

Hemmdog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Excited to see this!

Charlotte Kiely likes this.
  8. Jon Fishman

Jon Fishman Active Member

What made you decide on an artificial reef? Why not start up some rocks and if the opportunity for some corals comes........ then you can go for it!

Charlotte Kiely likes this.
  9. Charlotte Kiely

Unfortunately this just isn't an option anymore. For me to get off this island cost around £150 and then I am unable to fly them (local airline won't fly salt water) so have to get a boat and that's so hit and miss. I just want to enjoy a tank without all the constant arguments with transport problems, small island way of thinking. I have been using detached artifical corals for a year now and love it but want to go to the full reef insert. UK don't really have anything decent so looking further afield to the USA as they look awesome!

Hemmdog likes this.
  10. Peace River

Peace River Member R2R Supporter

Thanks for the reply! I am curious what fish you had (or could have had) in the rock pool tank? I have to admit I have an affinity for my local fish - even the one's that may seem dull to others. ;Shamefullyembarrased

Hemmdog likes this.
  11. Mark

Mark Active Member R2R Supporter

Sounds like you have a good plan. I would just add that rocks could be dry, and a lot of corals will travel well in a damp container with wet paper towels. Sorta like low tide. Just an idea for the future.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-11/eb/index.php

Hemmdog likes this.
  12. Charlotte Kiely

And the tank is on order, hopefully be with me in 9 weeks. Can't wait for it to get here and the reef inserts from Instant Reef will be on order from tonight I'm super excited.
    New pump and skimmer due to be ordered soon and getting everything ready for the refugium

Draft saved Draft deleted