Reef tank on a tiny island

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have placed the deposit for my new tank, super excited! Count down to 8 weeks!
I live in quiet a remote location on a small island (3 miles long) in the UK with no access to a fish store and every time i want to get fish i have to get a boat to the other island to get them. The boat only runs from May to September each year. So makes having a marine tank an impossible hobby. I currently have a 260l set up but moving to a much better 500 litre tank with 215 litre sump. But due to my location restrictions I am going to be doing an artifical reef.
My current fish are:
1 regal tang
1 clown
1 lonely chromis
1 yellow tail blenny
1 six line wrasse
1 flame angel fish
1 sleeper banded goby

With the new tank I am wanting to get more chromis for my lonely one who lost his friends over the winter and possibly a butterflyfish and maybe some other smaller fish. :)

So I am looking forward to starting my next adventure with what I am hoping will be the best reef aquarium I can have.
Screenshot_20190409-072753_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190414-144443_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have placed the deposit for my new tank, super excited! Count down to 8 weeks!
I live in quiet a remote location on a small island (3 miles long) in the UK with no access to a fish store and every time i want to get fish i have to get a boat to the other island to get them. The boat only runs from May to September each year. So makes having a marine tank an impossible hobby. I currently have a 260l set up but moving to a much better 500 litre tank with 215 litre sump. But due to my location restrictions I am going to be doing an artifical reef.

I admire your commitment to the hobby and I truly hope that you will share more about your adventure as it unfolds! I'm not sure what the collecting regulations where you live, but have you thought about setting up a native fish tank with small fish from the local area?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current fish are:
1 regal tang
1 clown
1 lonely chromis
1 yellow tail blenny
1 six line wrasse
1 flame angel fish
1 sleeper banded goby

With the new tank I am wanting to get more chromis for my lonely one who lost his friends over the winter and possibly a butterflyfish and maybe some other smaller fish. :)

So I am looking forward to starting my next adventure with what I am hoping will be the best reef aquarium I can have.
Screenshot_20190409-072753_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190414-144443_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks for sharing , comrade

OP
OP
Charlotte Kiely

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admire your commitment to the hobby and I truly hope that you will share more about your adventure as it unfolds! I'm not sure what the collecting regulations where you live, but have you thought about setting up a native fish tank with small fish from the local area?
I have had one in the past, but instead did a rock pool tank, but the fish are no way as great as a reef tank. We don't have tropical waters so alot of the fish are pretty dull except for the wrasse of course ;) plus I love having fish I get to see when I am on my holidays snorkelling reefs :)

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made you decide on an artificial reef? Why not start up some rocks and if the opportunity for some corals comes........ then you can go for it!

OP
OP
Charlotte Kiely

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made you decide on an artificial reef? Why not start up some rocks and if the opportunity for some corals comes........ then you can go for it!
Unfortunately this just isn't an option anymore. For me to get off this island cost around £150 and then I am unable to fly them (local airline won't fly salt water) so have to get a boat and that's so hit and miss. I just want to enjoy a tank without all the constant arguments with transport problems, small island way of thinking. I have been using detached artifical corals for a year now and love it but want to go to the full reef insert. UK don't really have anything decent so looking further afield to the USA as they look awesome!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had one in the past, but instead did a rock pool tank, but the fish are no way as great as a reef tank. We don't have tropical waters so alot of the fish are pretty dull except for the wrasse of course ;) plus I love having fish I get to see when I am on my holidays snorkelling reefs :)

Thanks for the reply! I am curious what fish you had (or could have had) in the rock pool tank? I have to admit I have an affinity for my local fish - even the one's that may seem dull to others. ;Shamefullyembarrased

OP
OP
Charlotte Kiely

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the tank is on order, hopefully be with me in 9 weeks. Can't wait for it to get here and the reef inserts from Instant Reef will be on order from tonight I'm super excited.
New pump and skimmer due to be ordered soon and getting everything ready for the refugium

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update....

My coral reef inserts from America arrived, I love them! And I know my fish will too once the new tank arrives. I know they are artifical but feel this is the best approach for me in this hobby.
20190509_221257.jpg

Nothing wrong with that. They look good!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Little update....

My coral reef inserts from America arrived, I love them! And I know my fish will too once the new tank arrives. I know they are artifical but feel this is the best approach for me in this hobby.

That is quite the aquascape! I look forward to seeing pictures of that in your new tank!

OP
OP
Charlotte Kiely

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the new tank has finally arrived :) and the set up day will be the whole of my Sunday haha!

But can someone explain what the end section on the left of the sump is? I am thinking a top up bit but how does that work?
20190625_215903.jpg

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like where your return drain from main tank will go into, and you would have filter socks or media in there

OP
OP
Charlotte Kiely

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like where your return drain from main tank will go into, and you would have filter socks or media in there

I honestly dont have a clue Haha
Going from right to left I thought it was:
Filter sock, skimmer area
Refugium
Pump
And then mystery section, maybe a top up section?

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to tell from picture. Is there flow from that area to others? if not, yeah it holds top off water

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back