Reef tank swap

Bmattingly117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys wasn’t sure where to add this question. I have a 150g cube that I’m moving into a 65g jbj aio. I currently have 40 lbs of new live sand and 30 gallons of salt water in the jbj. Can I safely add the rest of the water from the 150g, live rock and live stock into the jbj? Or will this start a new cycle?
What would you consider to be the safest route?
Thanks!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will work

moving live rocks among tanks never causes harm on seneye ammonia reads, though it may cause harm in fifteen thousand Api ammonia reads. When you move live rocks don’t move over adhered stuck on waste, jet them or swish them in old tank water to dislodge before moving over.

OP
OP
Bmattingly117

Bmattingly117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will work

moving live rocks among tanks never causes harm on seneye ammonia reads, though it may cause harm in fifteen thousand Api ammonia reads. When you move live rocks don’t move over adhered stuck on waste, jet them or swish them in old tank water to dislodge before moving over.
Thanks man! I went through with it. Have been putting it off for a month lol. Too scared to do it. I finally did though. So far so good! Coral are opening up for the most part, aside from my gap and sinularia. Fish are happy and eating as well. Appreciate the help. Here’s the tanks btw. Scape needs work in the jbj. Really gonna miss the 150 until we move to a bigger house. But I’m happy!
3707B839-9725-4D14-9E6D-C51C31FB3038.jpeg
D069B6FA-5963-4901-9ED6-1F18B65DA212.jpeg
32A36BA5-AA9D-4E01-A344-96A8B39FAFEB.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its perfect! the open corals agree with your no detritus move and water quality, they'd never open at all with sustained ammonia (none at all would open, all closed tight)

you just did what 450 instant reefs at marine aquarium conventions do, nicely done execution here. i added your thread to the microbiology of reef tank cycling thread, where for 20 pages we collect examples of skip cycle prediction, follow through, and outcome. no losses/searches for knockable wood.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bmattingly117

Bmattingly117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its perfect! the open corals agree with your no detritus move and water quality, they'd never open at all with sustained ammonia (none at all would open, all closed tight)

you just did what 450 instant reefs at marine aquarium conventions do, nicely done execution here. i added your thread to the microbiology of reef tank cycling thread, where for 20 pages we collect examples of skip cycle prediction, follow through, and outcome. no losses/searches for knockable wood.
Man thank you! I really appreciate the encouragement lol. I was nervous but I just tried to be as collected and prepared as possible. Careful to cause as little die off and added stress as I could. I did what you said and spent the better part of an entire night into morning getting it done lol. Last thing I wanted to do is stop and leave rocks or coral and fish in temporary holding tanks. Surprisingly everything has stayed really stable all parameters and conditions only improved honestly. Again thanks and happy to have the experience under my belt lol.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back