Reef transfer

Fizzy54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Wanted to see if y’all can help me out with a few pointers as I’m planning on transferring my existing reef inhabitants over t a brand new tank?

Also,
Can I add my existing sand and also add new sand without any Ill effect?

Thank you

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards with the sand, how old is your current tank. If it is already an established tank that sand is going to have a lot of organic matter and debris build up. So when you aggravate it by moving it from one tank to another it will transfers a lot of ammonia breakdown and then a build up of nitrate. If you want to reuse it, it will need to get thoroughly washed out.

You can also just use new sand with the same live rock you have and should be fine for an immediate transfer.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take any transfer job example from this link and copy exactly

Rinse any sand you use, new or old.

You rinse sand in tap water, no ro di or saltwater for a very specific reason.

The #1 thing you wouldn't do in a reef transfer is guess at a new method or use a method that doesn't come from a 50 page example thread of all wins

The reason you rinse your new sand, even if it's marked live sand no rinse needed, is because the only tank transfer thread on the web says to and because we show on page one fifteen examples of cloud wrecked tanks who didn't know you pre rinse all sand during tank transfers.

When someone tells you not to pre rinse live sand, re read the cloud wipe examples on page one, and compare those to 49 pages who never had a single issue.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back