REEF VASE: Have you ever consider keeping a reef in a vase, jar, bowl etc? Check these out!

Have you ever consider keeping a tiny reef in a vase, jar, bowl etc.?

• Yes in a vase

Votes: 20 5.2%
  • Yes in a jar

Votes: 49 12.6%
  • Yes in a bowl

Votes: 26 6.7%
  • Yes in a (tell us on the thread)

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • NO

Votes: 282 72.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My largest reef tank right now is a 2 gallon, just got the zoas in my mini compete as well. I'd like to try another small one, but with more vertical space, so I'm considering a jar in the .5 to 1.5 gallon range. I hate air pumps from the deepest pits of my soul, so I'm debating whether a fountain pump is worthy. And then spray bar or no spray bar, hmmm...

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bit old writing there, but it deserve to have a read on it: http://www.reefland.com/2012/09/07/setting-up-a-pico-reef-tank-no-easy-task/

Before to come to the marine side of the hobby (to have aquarium / fish tank I mean, for near 17years was in to the FW-planted tanks) for near 6-7months I was learning and learning and l.... with a pico 6L, 20L and 40L tanks, at some point I do connect them together and put in the system and 20L refugium, but it was fun all the time don't got any single crash on them

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed: most of us like to dump in some food to eat just before the water change so that these non skimmed systems don’t sit with rotting water day after day. The most common feeding arrangement is usually not daily, although some do that way, it’s timed Just before water changes so that export removes uneaten portions + portions eaten expelled back into the water as waste from corals.

the best food my tank appreciates / corals come out to feed quickly
6AEF6BFA-0F37-4EFA-9651-91E84091B223.jpeg

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot about the other Pico it was Marina 360 Aquarium 10L. with filter and circulating pump (the filter chamber easy can be filled with LR and filter media, I use in GAC 1/4 of it volume the rest with LR and filter media) you have to play a bit to seal it if you wish, but was another project which was working fine for about 7 months, before I move home.

Another project which is on the way to start and done it soon is 3L plastic (to be less surround temperature dependent) bow tank which will be completely sealed and with 2 holes on them
cable glands to canister filter EHEIM classic 150 or 250 1L or 3L fillable volume, this is easy to hide. I'll make it for my computer repair shop to stay on the till for the customers to watch waiting me to repair them gadgets :)
Or the tank I have, empty Baby BiOrb with Light 15L easy to do the job, at the bottom it have filtration system which usually use air pump, we can put in mini pump for circulation 200 l/h 6 - 12v and with variable PSU lowering the voltage can get lower water flow speed, thru the bottom hole can get the wire for the pump in.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to show another neat trend in pico reefing vs large tanking

search all forums, namely here/nanos and then nano-reef.com and then reefcentral.com and then thereeftank.com and try and find pico reefs with dinos problems

or cyano problems

or coral disease, and link them here.

Contrast that to big tanks where in one click in the nuisance forum its full

why does volume matter in being totally invaded or not? the articles tell us it has solely to do with water params and or grazers?

but where does gallonage and accessibility have a break point? how big is too big a reef to control, so that your investments dont die from takeover or disease? would that mean a reefer with a 29 gallon tank has access to what pico reefs do to not be invaded or have coral disease?

I once saw someone with a 120 gallon reef seize control via accessibility, they simply did what pico reefs do to be algae free but that's ultra rare. Normally they ride out the storms, for months or years. occasionally we get an opt out large tanker they get keys to the city

if my tally is not unfair, tiny reefs which are supposed to be risky, delicate and not long lived are indeed long lived and grow coral with less disease and less reef tank loss via invasion and have untouchable salinity control, although a nerf ball or pounce cat can destroy the entire system. is that a fundamentally correct summary based on web link research from other places

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also team,

meet Philippe's site france nano recif .com

engage translator, look at their nano and pico work. welcome to international reef friending

Philippe runs the site / strong reefer

international reefing is fun. I once pico reefed deep in a Russian forum where they had not beheld such things but at their temps I was amazed at what they were keeping. google or browser translator/fire it up go adventure all around not just United States

Greece already knows about pico reefs lol so does Finland

@revhtree

Last edited:

khoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little 1g... used to have cactus in this thing, then they died. Reefing is easier than plants for me! Smart outlet controlling the Kessil, air pump, and smart Inkbird controlling a little cobalt heater. Custom acrylic lid fits pretty well and don’t have much top for off issues. Have LPS, mushrooms, zoas, and an Astreopora representing the sps...

5B53C1F9-40CB-4FEC-8830-1D13A2C1ADF8.jpeg 009619DD-BC0F-4753-94A5-7686548ACF96.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That system is great. Salinity is no prob eh condensation seal clues that’s sharp sharp

3lusive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting idea. Stirrer and 3d printed impellar might be a pretty good combo. No fish m and I don't even need to be safe about it.

Be very careful with this. Another reefer made a diy magnetic driven powerhead and got a nice letter from a certain manufacturer telling him to stop posting about it.

Apparently their patent makes it illegal to make one even for private use.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I specifically recall that from nano-reef.com in about 2008 nice time capsule. that creativity was indeed stifled. make one, just dont post schematics heh I watched him develop that over a long time in his posts. roughly about that time, while ago.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some pico bounties up for grabs.

If anyone can show me documentation of a non evaporating reef tank any size before 2002 Ill paypal $25 to the first poster. not just drummed up pics and a date, something substantial. a post, a review etc. legit reef that does not use topoff throughout its lifespan.

if anyone can show pics of sps growth any species, in a pico reef before 2002 same $25 paypal to the first legit link. specifically not frags planted in a cube with zero coralline and growths on the walls (a reef tank) but true sps + mass growth, like plating into place basally / show aging in the picture somehow, a dash of coralline could suffice

im fascinated by timeframes as references in reefing, and paying small bounties puts the discerning on the trail its at least worth a couple burgers=fries to sleuth out.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading the article in Coral magazine I've really considered it. I've known of brandon429 and the reef vases from way back.

I feel I would probably kill it though, mostly from temperature. If the power goes out in the winter the jar would probably be the last thing getting hooked to the generator.

if I find the right container.....we'll see.

3lusive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I specifically recall that from nano-reef.com in about 2008 nice time capsule. that creativity was indeed stifled. make one, just dont post schematics heh I watched him develop that over a long time in his posts. roughly about that time, while ago.

Yeah it was thesmallerthebetter, they shut him down pretty quickly. There is a ton of us pico guys that would jump on the opportunity to buy a pico sized vortech.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I specifically would. no more humming bubble sound emanating from my kitchen, 24x7

Last edited:

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was thesmallerthebetter, they shut him down pretty quickly. There is a ton of us pico guys that would jump on the opportunity to buy a pico sized vortech.
That one you are looking for: LINK and nanoreef.com (and all the data base there) don't exist anymore like few other good websites which most of us was using to help us in the hobby. I was interested to read about his project completely but don't know much about it, only hear people like you talking about.
(I hope I don't brake the rules :) )

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is 100% not breaking rules RtR welcomes all reef data. such as this, no x's blocked out :)

www.reefcentral.com

hello Agu nanos mod good and fair mod with strong reefing backround. rtr has nothing to fear from outlinking so peaceful knowing that.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that small pump getting reviewed on Jake's blog was like a focus cannon for sure, if it stayed on forums only prob would have not been flagged

Last edited:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval chi 5 g for my betta fish. I never considered that I could somehow make that into a sumpless mini tank on my desk.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that small pump getting reviewed on Jake's blog was like a focus cannon for sure, if it stayed on forums only prob would have not been flagged
is it possible you to have idea where I can read all about Please?
Isn't much hard for me to build op/DIY some vortech, or another one, Just curious to read all about it and his build with it.
(Enough mechanical and electrical engineer skills here :cool: )

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back