Reefbreeders photon V2 review

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started the thread on R2R, search for 800 gallon reef tank and it should pop up, plenty of pictures of the progress
Doesn’t pop up on iPhone. I’ll check it out later ;)

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Logan will be selling a T5 kit for the Photon V 2s soon!

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More details please

I will get a YouTube video up soon I hope with the new T5 kit! I have a photon 48” and really excited for the addition to the T5! The Photon lights are great but with the extra T5 they will be extraordinary!

@Reef Breeders When do you believe you will have the T5 fixtures up forsale on the site? Any ETA?

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get a YouTube video up soon I hope with the new T5 kit! I have a photon 48” and really excited for the addition to the T5! The Photon lights are great but with the extra T5 they will be extraordinary!

@Reef Breeders When do you believe you will have the T5 fixtures up forsale on the site? Any ETA?

Soon! We already have kits on the way, hopefully arriving before xmas. Just needed to confirm the fitment of the new EU kit. The new EU brackets have a total overall width of 19.25" and leave just enough space for the Photon V2 in the middle. Contact us to preorder kits for your lights!

Reefkeeper12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annnnnnnnd now I know what the photon looks like over my tank :) I ended up buying two and I absolutely love them. I have them hung about 20" up running something similar to the SPS AB+ (same percentages as the radion version). I see zero color separation. I am currently running 40% royal blue, 40% cool blue, 40% violet, 10%white, 10%red and 10% green. This is basically the SPS AB+ profile at 40%.

I LOVE the way the tank looks at 100%blues and 24%white/green/red so I hope to get there slowly.

Here are some pictures:

All channels 100% (this about about 500+ par most parts of the tank :-o)
dunno-2.jpg

My favorite blend (100 on RB, blue, violet. 20ish on whites, reds, greens) This provides around 350 par everywhere in the tank IIRC.
dunno-3.jpg

All blues 100%, 10% red and green, 0% white
dunno-4.jpg

SPS pics taken under the SPS AB+ profile.
dunno-5.jpg dunno-6.jpg dunno-7.jpg dunno-8.jpg dunno-9.jpg
Yes!! The v2+ is the best light on the market hands down. I’m in love with mine.
I tested mine against a gen4 radion and the Photon put out more PAR without being as bright
Which is nice because it doesn’t light up your room like the heavens lol.
me and all my friends like the look of the photon better than anything else.

cant beat that warranty either.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many and which lengths would be best over a 84” x 40” x 25”? Sps mainly.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 x Photon 32-V2+ will work well too. We sell them in Kits of 2 with linking rails at a discount vs. buying individually.

I would suppose you can link two different sizes with your rails? E.g. a 48” and a 32”.

When connected, do the lights have any sagging in the middle when connected with the rails and hung with the wire hanging kit?

Thanks

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suppose you can link two different sizes with your rails? E.g. a 48” and a 32”.

When connected, do the lights have any sagging in the middle when connected with the rails and hung with the wire hanging kit?

Thanks

You can! And there is no sagging. The Photon Link kit is 2020 aluminum V slot, they are made to handle a lot of weight.

A 50-V2+ can link to a 24 as well for example. I recommend not mixing 32/16 with 24/48/50, as they have a slightly different color due to the number of LEDs.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!
When will the 24 inch be in? Your website says august but if not in the next week I may be forced to get the qmaven! Speaking of qmaven. can you match their price or do you have a coupon code or maybe labor day sale coming up I also wanted to know if ihave to tone down a color like percentage wise does that give you that color less intense? For instance I have a current orbit on my small tank and when I tone down reds I get pink and when I tone down green I get lime so say I am running blue plus but with 40 percent blue and white at 10 or something is the blu going to lighter or less intensely colorful the if i ran at a higher power ?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mount worked perfectly. I have switched to a floating canopy with t5 and kessil. Still highly recommend the photon as well.
Can I ask why you wsitched to kessil. I have seen people with t,5;s and kessil swith to photon and now the other way around. As a matter of fact he loved the photon so much he took down the t5 and got 2 photons! That fact scares me a little because one should give enough coverage. Its not like he had a cube or anything!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like this would be a cool way to mount them from wall, that is if your tank is pretty close to the wall! I had a question and wanted to know why so many people are using two of these side by side. I was thinking of buying a 24 inch then later (less than a year) getting a connector and add another 24 inch to cover a 120 gallon or maybe 90. If I get a 120 then that is 24 inches. Does this not give enough coverage for 24 inch wide?

If I have to buy 2 then that is pretty costly and be better of getting something else like Maxspect Ethereal. I like that they are the type that use mounts and these are very cool looking and very large so no problem covering 24 wide and way cheaper then getting two of these. They are 13 x9 so two woulldnt look two small and is only 949,00 a set with controller. Or one at a time for 449.00 for slave and little more for master. there 130 watts just like AI HYdra except cheaper and using same cree lenses! Many more colors too like 11 but no red! Then theres noopscyhce and so many others from china though so dont know that I want o do that! Premium aquatics carrys micmol brand that uses cree and is 239.00 for 180 watts! But the 90 watt one is only 4 inches wide and lenght the 180 watt is very long because they put fan in middle but dont like that its 4 inches wide as well but I guess I am nit picking but I think aesthetics of lights/mounts counts for a lot! LOL What to do? Going Nuts in Florida!

Last edited:

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soon! We already have kits on the way, hopefully arriving before xmas. Just needed to confirm the fitment of the new EU kit. The new EU brackets have a total overall width of 19.25" and leave just enough space for the Photon V2 in the middle. Contact us to preorder kits for your lights!
Can this be used with back mounts? or compulsorily from the top? any pics of the kit?

Back