Reefer 250 v3 plumbing help needed

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to replace the Red Sea diaphragm with a Spears gate valve on my Version 3 Reefer 250. Can anyone help me identify what pieces I need to make this happen? I'm in the US but Red Sea plumbing is metric. I followed a previous thread and I'm afraid I ordered/was sent the wrong parts.

I currently have the following pieces:

The Red Sea diaphragm kit (that I want to replace the diaphragm on).

I have ordered/received:
1" PVC from BRS
1” Spears Gate Valve Slip x Slip from BRS. Here's the link for their Spears gates.
3/4"x" Sch 80 PVC Reducing Male Adapter - MPT x Socket 836-102. Here's the link for the exact item. I think this is the wrong part for my application.
Red Sea Sump Pump Return SKU# R4228 (ordered direct from Red Sea). I think this is the wrong part for my application.

Attached is a picture of all the pieces I currently have. Can someone s.l.o.w.l.y explain to me what I'm missing to make this work. I don't think this Red Sea Sump Pump and the reducing male adapter is going to be of any help whatsoever. I think I misunderstood that previous post.

93C9679C-932E-4015-ADE6-39E7E8309A1D.jpeg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to replace the Red Sea diaphragm with a Spears gate valve on my Version 3 Reefer 250. Can anyone help me identify what pieces I need to make this happen? I'm in the US but Red Sea plumbing is metric. I followed a previous thread and I'm afraid I ordered/was sent the wrong parts.

I currently have the following pieces:

The Red Sea diaphragm kit (that I want to replace the diaphragm on).

I have ordered/received:
1" PVC from BRS
1” Spears Gate Valve Slip x Slip from BRS. Here's the link for their Spears gates.
3/4"x" Sch 80 PVC Reducing Male Adapter - MPT x Socket 836-102. Here's the link for the exact item. I think this is the wrong part for my application.
Red Sea Sump Pump Return SKU# R4228 (ordered direct from Red Sea). I think this is the wrong part for my application.

Attached is a picture of all the pieces I currently have. Can someone s.l.o.w.l.y explain to me what I'm missing to make this work. I don't think this Red Sea Sump Pump and the reducing male adapter is going to be of any help whatsoever. I think I misunderstood that previous post.

93C9679C-932E-4015-ADE6-39E7E8309A1D.jpeg

If you don't get help then repost in the Red Sea forum

You made need to contact Red Sea USA, Ariel helped me get the parts to match up an Abyzz A100 to my S-400. I can send you a PM with their direct phone line in the am.

I have their phone number at work... :)

DesertCitiesReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@DesertCitiesReefer, should I be "good to go" if I order both the slip adapters from Adaptive Reef? It looks like those 2 pieces would connect Red Sea's pipe to standard US pipe, so that way I could connect normal PVC + my spears gate. Right?

Long Island Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herse my build thread - shows how I piped my 250:

This build thread was extremely helpful when i was plumbing my tank:

I know its a lot of reading but boy was it helpful.

Long Island Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the red sea part adapter like Jason's thread linked above. This was when the adaptive reef adapter didn't exist yet. You can just use that part to convert over easier.

DesertCitiesReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DesertCitiesReefer, should I be "good to go" if I order both the slip adapters from Adaptive Reef? It looks like those 2 pieces would connect Red Sea's pipe to standard US pipe, so that way I could connect normal PVC + my spears gate. Right?
You should be good to go. Those came out after I did mine with the other slip adapters from environmental marine. I have a photo of one of slips on the return line in my build thread.

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! I just ordered both the parts listed from environmental marine.

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I ordered 1 each of the adapters you referenced from Environment Marine. If I plan to replace just that one pipe...did I order enough? I'm kinda wondering if for the price of shipping, I should just order a 2 more sets for the other pipes.

Thoughts?

I'm so excited this might actually work. My return pump is getting delivered this week too, so I might be able to leak test the tank.

DesertCitiesReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered 1 each of the adapters you referenced from Environment Marine. If I plan to replace just that one pipe...did I order enough? I'm kinda wondering if for the price of shipping, I should just order a 2 more sets for the other pipes.

Thoughts?

I'm so excited this might actually work. My return pump is getting delivered this week too, so I might be able to leak test the tank.
If I recall off hand the main drain pipe converted to 1” and the emergency drain and return were 3/4”.

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any particular reason you used the metrics to standard slip on the horizontal pipe at the top instead of the vertical part like I planned? I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Just personal preference?

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just wanted to "bump" this thread to see if anyone had additional suggestions? Maybe when these parts start being delivered it'll all make sense.

At this point, I'm just wondering if I should rip out all the plumbing and go standard PVC from top to bottom? I've ordered parts from BRS, Environmental Marine, and CoralVue. Surely between the 3 places I have enough of the correct pieces?

DesertCitiesReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason I did it where I did was I wanted to reroute the plumbing for my setup so I have room for reactors that will be going on a manifold and the filter roller.

Pakman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to "bump" this thread to see if anyone had additional suggestions? Maybe when these parts start being delivered it'll all make sense.

At this point, I'm just wondering if I should rip out all the plumbing and go standard PVC from top to bottom? I've ordered parts from BRS, Environmental Marine, and CoralVue. Surely between the 3 places I have enough of the correct pieces?
What did you end up doing with your plumbing?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back