Reefer 350: The build!

JasonCG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s finally happening! Our red sea reefer 350 arrived last weekend! I had initially hoped to put the cabinet together myself, and then hire one at the guys at my LFS to help haul the display tank onto the cabinet. Turns out Red Sea, in their infinite wisdom, ships the top panel of the cabinet under the display tank! So I put the cabinet about halfway together, and then hired my local LFS guy to come help finish the job. Once we had the top panel on, the rest of the cabinet was easy, and he stuck around to help level the tank, then I finished up myself. We added about 70 pounds of Life Rock, three 20lb bags of arag-alive Fiji pink, and then started filling with water! Right now I’m running a reef octopus 150int, though it’s just sitting in the sump right now while I cycle. I have a Red Sea reef wave 45 for flow, a 300w heater and InkBird controller slowly getting the temperature up, and a hydror-seltz 1000 gph return pump. It’s a pretty little pump, but a little noisy. Does anyone know of a quieter dc pump? Any other comments or advice is appreciated as well. Thanks!

A8A35E29-842C-4572-8024-06C35F20C6A8.jpeg F0E39D7E-92F7-4DAC-9792-8AB66DE448B5.jpeg

Last edited:

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up the same tank. Bought mine used and it came with a Vectra S1. It's very quiet. Old but quiet. I also use the same protein skimmer as you have. Mine is working great. I'm just curious what lights your using?

OP
OP
JasonCG

JasonCG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to know, I’m going to keep the Vectra on my list for when this thing finally drives me crazy! I’m using two maxspect jump 165’s on my tank. I like them a lot, although so far I’ve only turned them on to test them, since I’m currently in the middle of a never ending cycle. They’re inexpensive and come with mounting brackets, though they’re certainly a little underpowered. Right now I’m just planning on softies and maybe an LPS or two, so I think they’ll be fine for that, but I’ll probably have to upgrade if I ever decide to take the plunge into SPS.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%

Back