REEFER 450 Sprung a Leak!!!!

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was an "early adopter" of the Reefer series, and bought the 450 when it first came out over 2 years ago. Nothing but positive experiences after that, that is, until 2 days ago. I was away on business when my wife noticed a leak in the front of the sump. I came home early to find a leak in the silicone on the front left side (return section) of the sump. Luckily it was slow so I only lost a few gallons when I got to it, but it was enough to ruin my wood floors. Red Sea was polite but unhelpful and said since I'm out of warranty, the defect isn't their fault, and they wanted to charge me $750 for a replacement (and not sure id trust it anyway now!). So....now I'm going @Broadfield style, just ordered a Tideline 30 and will be building the manifold this weekend. So 2 words of caution to early reefers out there: 1) watch your seals on any "aging" reefer tanks/sumps. I kept my sump clean and never went near the silicone, but it failed (I never noticed how tiny the silicone bead on the sump was until now!), and 2) if you're outside of 12 months, don't expect Red Sea to do you any favors!

I'll turn lemons into lemonade any finally build an awesome custom sump setup, but not without ruined floors, and angry wife, and me slightly frustrated with Red Sea for no olive branch here...

Onwards!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. You could try injecting silicone under pressure to see if it stops.

Search on utune silicone injection method

Honeycombz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang that is such a bummer too. You'd think Red Sea would through you a bone, they have gotten plenty of good advertisement from people using pics of your tank all over social media. Smh sorry to hear about that bro

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 63 46.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back