Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!

My last marine tank was many eons ago, where regular water changes was the norm.

Fast forward to 2020, I had initially ordered a REEFER 250, the order was unfulfilled due to COVID 19 and refunded.

On hindsight, not a bad thing...I went with the bigger REEFER 500 Peninsular and estimated to take delivery in JUN/JUL with the following equipments...
  • AQUA ILLUMINATION NERO 5 x 2 NEPTUNE SYSTEMS WSK
  • AQUA ILLUMINATION PRIME FUGE HD16
  • ECOTECH MARINE RADION XR15 G5 PRO x 4
  • ECOTECH MARINE VERSA
  • NYOS QUANTUM 160
  • NYOS TORQ 2L
  • CLARISEA SK5000
  • NEPTUNE SYSTEMS APEX w 2 x EB6
  • NEPTUNE SYSTEMS ATK
  • NEPTUNE SYSTEMS LDK
  • NEPTUNE SYSTEMS AFS
  • NEPTUNE SYSTEMS FMK
  • NEPTUNE SYSTEMS TRIDENT
  • NEPTUNE SYSTEMS DOS x 2
  • NEPTUNE SYSTEMS COR 20 x 2
  • NEPTUNE SYSTEMS Solenoid Valve
  • CARIBSEA ARAG-ALIVE SPECIAL GRADE
  • CARIBSEA LIFEROCK BRANCH
  • DELTEC UV 80W
  • CLEARVIEW PISCES EXO LID
  • BRS 5 STAGE RO/DI + 150GPH WATER SAVER KIT
  • AVAST MARINE SEABONES
  • GLA DUAL STAGE CO2 REGULATOR
  • RED SEA REEFER 500 PENINSULA
  • DIY ALGAE TURF SCRUBBER FROM STOCK ATO RESERVOIR
  • REASEA REEFMAT 1200
  • REASEA DOSE4
  • TECO 2000 CHILLER
My plan for the tank is SPS dominant on branch scape, hence the title “STICKS & STICKS”.

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great build and we like lots of pictures

And welcome to R2R as well!

jmevox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peninsula tanks are the best if you have a good spot for them. Think you will be much happier with it than the 250

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I hope all the items will be in by JUN/JUL. Photos for sure. Till then, Cheers!

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see the build start!!!

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peninsula tanks are the best if you have a good spot for them. Think you will be much happier with it than the 250
I may have other plan for original spot for the 250...

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Identical situation as you: I had a 40g 12 years ago that was a clunky set up, and just bought and set up a P500 three week ago. High level set up:
  • (3) ReefLED 90's - Only running 3 1/2 hours/day during cycling. Absolutely LOVE these lights. Like with most any app, there are several bad reviews from trolls, but it's worked perfectly for me.
  • Red Sea 650 Skimmer - Do not have it on during cycling, but great BRS review of this.
  • (2) ReefWave 45's - These things are awesome. Same app as lights, and the versatility is great. Very powerful.
  • Tunze 3155 ATO - Have it pulling from a 26 gallon tank that I've hidden.
  • Ecotech Vectra M2 Return Pump - Powerful and silent.
  • Kessil H80 Fuge Lamp - Do not have it on during cycling
The P500 is such high quality from the tank through the plumbing to the cabinet. Easy to put together, zero leaks, high quality sump build, etc. Right now I'm three weeks cycling with no ammonia, but high nitrites and nitrates, so just playing the waiting game before I can drop in some critters. Good luck!!

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Identical situation as you: I had a 40g 12 years ago that was a clunky set up, and just bought and set up a P500 three week ago. High level set up:
  • (3) ReefLED 90's - Only running 3 1/2 hours/day during cycling. Absolutely LOVE these lights. Like with most any app, there are several bad reviews from trolls, but it's worked perfectly for me.
  • Red Sea 650 Skimmer - Do not have it on during cycling, but great BRS review of this.
  • (2) ReefWave 45's - These things are awesome. Same app as lights, and the versatility is great. Very powerful.
  • Tunze 3155 ATO - Have it pulling from a 26 gallon tank that I've hidden.
  • Ecotech Vectra M2 Return Pump - Powerful and silent.
  • Kessil H80 Fuge Lamp - Do not have it on during cycling
The P500 is such high quality from the tank through the plumbing to the cabinet. Easy to put together, zero leaks, high quality sump build, etc. Right now I'm three weeks cycling with no ammonia, but high nitrites and nitrates, so just playing the waiting game before I can drop in some critters. Good luck!!
Nice to see hear from fellow Reefer 500P. I’m still waiting to take delivery of the tank, there are much delay due to COVID, ETA likely in JULY now. G5 blues, Versa, etc. are also delayed, not that I need them at the start. Ironically, the first to arrive last week was the calcium reactor which was ordered last!

Looks like you’re running the whole suite of Red Sea equipments! Nice!

So looking forward to you tank build with lots of pictures!

Cheers!

Last edited:

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few pics at different stages--I've been running 23K blues to avoid algae explosion, so light isn't ideal for pics. I played around with the aquascape a lot before dropping in tank and cementing. It's hard to tell from the pics, but the footprint is minimal--i.e., touching in only 6 points with small coverage with small touchpoints for each foot, which really helps with detritus build up and you can create some cool designs that way. Also has a ton of elevation differences for coral mounting, plus plenty of open sand for LPS, etc., that prefer to sit on the bottom. The P500 assembly was a breeze and the tank it gorgeous--making the final decision on the aquascaping was toughest part, especially for a tinkerer.

P500 Pic 1.jpg P500 Pic 2.jpg P500 Pic 3.jpg P500 Pic 4.jpg

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...your aquacape is phenomenal, lots of real estate for corals and swim room for fishes. Perfect room divider!

What do you plan to stock?

Last edited:

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! After a 12 year hiatus, I'm back in the hobby, but this is really my first time to have a system built to sustain anything other than softies and the hardiest LPS. It will be a mixed reef tank with LPS and SPS and I'm planning on easing into coral additions. My current fish list (not necessarily introduced in this order and recognize that my tangs might not all work together, especially if I introduce at different times)--I'm getting my LFS to help me think about timing--is as follows:
  1. 2 pink skunk clowns, which I've always loved
  2. Small school of green chromis
  3. Engineer goby
  4. Lawnmower blenny
  5. Sailfin tang
  6. Gem tang, if I can find a juvenile (will be a birthday present to yours truly)
  7. Purple tang (might depend on the gem tang, plus I need to really think through the timing of introduction of the Tang Gang), or a yellow tang, which I'm not in love with but they are algae eating machines
  8. Cleaner wrasse
  9. Goby + Randall's pistol shrimp
This might all change, but is what I'm currently thinking. How about your set up?

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can already see your nice tank in the making!

I’m going Acros dominant or specific. My raised scape is hugely inspired by fellow R2R reefer @W.vreeswijk; I'll be using exclusively Caribsea Branches, not sure how it goes till I receive the materials in JUL/AUG. Like yours, there will be minimum contact with the sand substrate with maximum room for planting Acros. May throw in Clams, Scolys, Acans, on the far branches near the short side of the tank for a different view. No coral will be placed on the sand bed.

Not planning to have any coral that sway with the flow, all motion shall come exclusively from the fishes. First 6 months, I will likely to run fish only, with Wrasse heavy maybe with 1 or 2 Purple/Yellow Tang and with a small school of Anthias or Chromis as filler.

There will be a resident predator, to be revealed on successful acquisition.

That’s my plan for now…

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanwhile...I'm considering starting a nano with a pair of Black Photon/Onyx Perculas and BTA. Can't risk the BTA being sucked into the NERO 5s in the Reefer 500P.

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dates on Reefer 500 arrival yet. I have added the Santa Monica Rain 2 ATS to my orders. In doing so, I reclaimed the refugium in the sump for frags.;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
28DD0C85-697C-400B-A81B-99B9C14C2A2E.jpeg

It’s finally here! Pending for the metric to imperial pipe adapters to arrive before modifying the drain and return pipes.

8B8C5507-BC9F-47DA-9039-A28E5A9D3E21.jpeg

Removed the dry side floor board to fit the UV steriliser vertically.

Decided to skip the CLARISEA and drain direct to ATS...

Last edited:

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see hear from fellow Reefer 500P. I’m still waiting to take delivery of the tank, there are much delay due to COVID, ETA likely in JULY now. G5 blues, Versa, etc. are also delayed, not that I need them at the start. Ironically, the first to arrive last week was the calcium reactor which was ordered last!

Looks like you’re running the whole suite of Red Sea equipments! Nice!

So looking forward to you tank build with lots of pictures!

Cheers!
Any word on Ecotech products? I have my tank ready for the vectra, xr15 G5’s, mp40s and the versa but BRS just changed my delivery from July 25 to aug 22. Did you get yours? Or any idea when it will truly be back?

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any word on Ecotech products? I have my tank ready for the vectra, xr15 G5’s, mp40s and the versa but BRS just changed my delivery from July 25 to aug 22. Did you get yours? Or any idea when it will truly be back?
I’m in no rush for the XR15 G5 as I’ll be cycling the tank in the dark. Got the COR20, DOS, NERO5 instead.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back