Reefer Peninsula 650 build thread "'Desert Reef"

Abhinand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I'm a bit new to R2R as a member, though I have benefited a lot over the years by the useful information posted by fellow reefers.

I live in Dubai and have been a hobbyist for the past 8 years, starting with a 6 foot FOWLR tank back home in India. The reef bug bit me a few years ago and I have been spoilt for choice in terms of reef livestock ever since I moved to Dubai. I just broke down my SPS dominated Red Sea reefer 350 as I am moving homes. The good news is that with the move comes my chance to upgrade aquariums. While my 20 odd corals colonies (and numerous frags) have found a temporary temporary shelter at BPK Aquariums (huge shout out to to the lovely owner - Davron), I plan to embark on this exciting journey of setting up a new tank from scratch

My new aquarium is going to be a Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 650. Still debating the color for the cabinet, but I have a strong preference to the white cabinets made by Red Sea. I have always loved the unique perspective that a Peninsula tank offers and after owning a Red Sea tank for the past 3 years, I see no reason to look elsewhere.

Tank livestock ambitions:
I have enjoyed keeping SPS corals, mainly Acropora and Montipora. I expect to continue on the same vein in my new tank - an abundance of SPS corals, with very select fish as live stock. In my previous tanks, I had not paid too much attention to the fish I kept. Most of then were chosen and added from a more functional perspective. I had a lot of tangs to keep my algae down, some wrasses to keep pests at bay, 1 trusted copper band butterfly to handle aptasia and a pair of clowns fish, coz. who doesn't keep clown fish... In my new Desert Reef (DR), I want to try my luck with a few angel fish. In addition to the angelfish, DR will also have a lot of small fish, ideally anthias. Let's see how the ambition pans out, but over the years, I feel that things in reef keeping work well if you start out with a clear goal for the tank.

Equipment:
I will be using a lot of equipment from my previous tank. The only equipment I sold off was my Vertex Omega 150 skimmer as I feel that I need a much larger skimmer for my DR. I am debating between the Royal Exclusive DC 250 and the Nyos 220/300. At this point, looks like I will eventually go for the RE. I know that it is a beast of a skimmer for my tank size, but I believe that no matter how much we try, we cannot skim the tank enough. I have 3 Radion XR15 G4's on me, which I will be using on DR, but mated to 4 T5 bulbs in a Giesemann Stellar fixture. I hate using filter socks as the task of cleaning them frequently does not work well with my work schedule. The ClariSea 5000 should be a worth addition that I also hope to incorporate into the sump.

I am a few weeks away from my house move. Hope to document, share and learn from this amazing community!

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I'm a bit new to R2R as a member, though I have benefited a lot over the years by the useful information posted by fellow reefers.

I live in Dubai and have been a hobbyist for the past 8 years, starting with a 6 foot FOWLR tank back home in India. The reef bug bit me a few years ago and I have been spoilt for choice in terms of reef livestock ever since I moved to Dubai. I just broke down my SPS dominated Red Sea reefer 350 as I am moving homes. The good news is that with the move comes my chance to upgrade aquariums. While my 20 odd corals colonies (and numerous frags) have found a temporary temporary shelter at BPK Aquariums (huge shout out to to the lovely owner - Davron), I plan to embark on this exciting journey of setting up a new tank from scratch

My new aquarium is going to be a Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 650. Still debating the color for the cabinet, but I have a strong preference to the white cabinets made by Red Sea. I have always loved the unique perspective that a Peninsula tank offers and after owning a Red Sea tank for the past 3 years, I see no reason to look elsewhere.

Tank livestock ambitions:
I have enjoyed keeping SPS corals, mainly Acropora and Montipora. I expect to continue on the same vein in my new tank - an abundance of SPS corals, with very select fish as live stock. In my previous tanks, I had not paid too much attention to the fish I kept. Most of then were chosen and added from a more functional perspective. I had a lot of tangs to keep my algae down, some wrasses to keep pests at bay, 1 trusted copper band butterfly to handle aptasia and a pair of clowns fish, coz. who doesn't keep clown fish... In my new Desert Reef (DR), I want to try my luck with a few angel fish. In addition to the angelfish, DR will also have a lot of small fish, ideally anthias. Let's see how the ambition pans out, but over the years, I feel that things in reef keeping work well if you start out with a clear goal for the tank.

Equipment:
I will be using a lot of equipment from my previous tank. The only equipment I sold off was my Vertex Omega 150 skimmer as I feel that I need a much larger skimmer for my DR. I am debating between the Royal Exclusive DC 250 and the Nyos 220/300. At this point, looks like I will eventually go for the RE. I know that it is a beast of a skimmer for my tank size, but I believe that no matter how much we try, we cannot skim the tank enough. I have 3 Radion XR15 G4's on me, which I will be using on DR, but mated to 4 T5 bulbs in a Giesemann Stellar fixture. I hate using filter socks as the task of cleaning them frequently does not work well with my work schedule. The ClariSea 5000 should be a worth addition that I also hope to incorporate into the sump.

I am a few weeks away from my house move. Hope to document, share and learn from this amazing community!
Welcome to Reef2Reef! :)

Following along to see what you put together.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Abhinand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while, so time for an update. Things have been moving a bit slowly, mainly because none of the LFS' in the middle east had stock of a Reefer Peninsula 650 tank. New shipments are expected to arrive by the end of September. However, with a lot of negotiation, I managed to get one of the local stores to sell me the only piece they had in stock. The shop owner was setting up the tank as his display. Long story short, I'M BACK IN BUSINESS!!! A big shout out to Cliff from Reeflections (LFS in Dubai) for pointing me towards the tank.

My white Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 650 will arrive day after. The day has been busy, trying to get my aquascape sorted out and after a tiring day, the aquascape finally got done. I have had a bad experience in the past with live rock with a nest of baby mantis shrimp accidentally making their way into my display. My previous tank was thus started with "dead" Real Reef rock. I loved the color of the rock and the aesthetic it provided to the aquarium. The only downside I had was that drilling Real Reef rock and aquascaping (one word?) it was very difficult. This time around, I went with Carib Sea Life Rock. Definitely must say that I am impressed. The rock definitely holds itself together much better than Real reef. The guys at my LFS, BPK trading (who were helping build my aquascape) were able to drill and hammer the rocks, without excessive chipping and loss of the purple texture on the rock surface. Overall, CaribSea Life Rock --> Highly Recommended!!!

Now for some pictures of the aquascape. Sorry about the bad pictures. These were still taken in the work area at the LFS. I will update better pictures once the putty cures and the rocks are shifted into my tank.

Pic 1: The rocks were drilled and attached to each other, based on the design I envisioned. Shout out to Ian at BPK who was amazing working with the rock and in creating the structures. Acrylic rods helped with the stacking and ensure that the entire scape is solid. Temporary cable ties are used to knead rocks into the desired position, before applying putty to fill in gaps and solidify the structure...

d9f1399a-7f14-4f12-a1f0-9d8a460af406.jpg

Pic2: Not sure if it's clear, but I wanted to go for 3 main structure. The central structure is designed to be the tallest, standing at roughly 18" tall. The two other structures are ~12" tall. Overall, see place for plenty of corals :)
1520dcc2-388e-4190-b178-1a7b387c778a.jpg

Pic 3: Nothing better than finishing work off with a smile...
c401e433-b7ba-4b5d-bb0f-c8759a0c9961.jpg

In total, 100lbs of rock went into the scape. I promise better pictures once the rocks are in the tank...

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Abhinand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update...

The tank finally arrived and started cycling it yesterday. Andy from Thinkfish (another LFS in Dubai) did a great job installing the tank. We had a tough time leveling the Desert Reef(DR) as the minute we filled up water, the wooden laminate flooring sunk by 4-5 mm given the weight of the tank and water. After a grueling 5 hours, the tank is filled with water, rocks and sand. I started off the cycle by adding 2small bottles of Fritz Turbostart 900 and 4 cubes of Mysis. Water initially cloudy from the sand particles flying around. 24 hours after kick-off, the water is still cloudy. I suspect that this is due to an expected bacterial bloom post the addition of Fritz Turbostart 900. I checked the water today and the tank showed no signs readings of Ammonia and Nitrite. I did not test nitrates. I added 150 drops Ammonium chloride to the tank water today. Following the addition, the tank showed an ammonia reading of 2ppm. 1 had 2 more small bottles of Turbostart 900 which i emptied into the tank today. Will check readings tomorrow and post an update on the cycle. Time for some pictures now...

IMG_9220.jpg
IMG_9241.jpg
IMG_9242.jpg
IMG_9288.jpg

OP
OP
A

Abhinand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update on the cycle.

The Fritz Turbostart 900 seems to be doing well. Yesterday, I added Ammonium Chloride to raise Ammonia levels in the tank to 2ppm. Today, roughly 20 hours later, my test kit read 0.5ppm Ammonia, 0.5ppm Nitrite and 3ppm Nitrate.

I am super impressed! My last tank cycled with Dr.Tim's One and Only and it took me roughly 9 days to finish the cycle. With the way things are progressing, I expect to finish cycling much sooner!

IMG_9338.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Abhinand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update after a short hiatus. The cycling of the tank is not going as per plan. Even though the Frtiz Bacteria was super efficient in knocking down ammonia, I am still struggling to get zero results with Nitrites. Nitrites did zero down after the first dosage of ammonia. I re-dosed ammonia just to be sure and the second time around, the ammonia (around 2ppm) zeroed out in less than 24 hours. 2 days later, I am still however waiting for nitrites to go down to zero. the tank currently reads 1ppm nitrite and has been holding this value for the past 24 hours. I plan to add another dosage of Fritz Turbo start 900 tomorrow. I will be traveling during the week on work and hope to be back next weekend to a completely cycled tank.

In other news, the Clarisea roller filter and Gieseman stellar arrived in tip-top shape. Had a few issues plumbing the Clarisea to the Reefer Peninsula sump though. The cleanest option would have been to cut out the filter sock holding station and hard plumb the filter. I did not do the same as I wanted to monitor the performance of the filter before making permanent modifications to the sump. Also, in 3 years of owning a Red Sea reefer (my old tank was a Reefer 350), I have never been able to adjust the diaphragm valve perfectly to have water flow back only from the primary return. The roller filter now thus stands within my sump area and is connected by a hose to the tank return. Is working well for now. The Giesemann Stellar however fit like a glove. The only downside was that the instructions for assembly of the unit and the Universal mounting legs were pathetic. After a few mins of fiddling around, I figured it out. Some pics on the update...The water is still cloudy as I went in with a turkey baster and blew off the rocks just before the pic.
2.jpeg
3.jpeg

1.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Abhinand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, I have such a soft spot for peninsula tanks, hate that I have nowhere to fit one :(
My tank is also not at the perfect location. I only have a feet of standing space on the other side of the tank. Before I got the tank, the debate was between the Peninsula and a Reefer 750XXL. After 2.5 years with a Reefer 350, the 750 just looked very familiar...

OP
OP
A

Abhinand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update...My skimmer finally decided to arrive. Friends at Royal Exclusive took their own sweet time to ship the Bubble King DC 200 that I ordered. My tank still reads close to 0.5ppm Nitrites. Listening to inputs from hobbyists on this forum (shout out to @Dr. Reef , @Brew12, @mikeyn and @Instigate), I decided to go ahead and add my first fish and some clean up crew (cerith snails). Moved some of my montis and test acros over from the LFS that has been graciously hosting my corals. Everything seems to be fine for now. Corals have browned out, but they weren't doing too well in the LFS to begin with. I'm still waiting for my APEX and if everything goes well, will slowly move all my corals over by the end of the month. Looking for a nice juvenile emperor angel to add to the tank. Just hoping that I find a nice one that doesn't go after my corals...

WhatsApp Image 2018-09-08 at 10.44.09 PM.jpeg
b.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-09-08 at 10.44.10 PM (2).jpeg

HollaAtChaReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great setup! Do you mind taking a pic of your clariSea Filter roll setup? Is it just insert and go or it takes some modifications to install it?

bzeno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you plumb your Clarissa? Like you mentioned I don’t want to take the glass out I. The right side but ICS t get it to fit in the right side compartment... curious to know where you put it..

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back