ReeferHood 170G Build

reeferhood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is day one of the new build! I'm so excited. I'll be putting a 170 G in my home. This is the third tank I've built, but I took a break from the hobby in 2012. It's great to be back now that my life and wallet are a little more stable.

I'm not done with the plans yet, but here are the initial drawings for the tank, stand, and sump to size. I'm a cabinetmaker so I'll be building my own stand. If you're wondering, the software I am using to draw this up is called Sketchup. I still have a long way to go with the drawing, but I'll post updates as I get them.

So far, my favorite part is the door on the side that will allow me to remove the sump if needed. I'd love your recommendations on features I should add to this stand. Thanks, everyone.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 11.44.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 11.44.58 PM.png

OP
OP
reeferhood

reeferhood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran two dedicated lines for the tank today. I also put those lines in a waterproof box for added safety. While I was pulling line, I also pulled several sets of RODI lines and 2 sets of aquabus cables for an Apex. Now I just need to patch the holes in the wall. :)

Attachments

• Electrical.jpg
    Electrical.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
reeferhood

reeferhood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the base cabinet made today. I’ll put doors on it later. For anyone wondering, there will be a door on the side that the sump will fit through. I debated not putting the center brace in, but I’d rather have safety with four kids in the house.

Attachments

• 5F697CE6-2B70-4AEB-AD4A-B33598845B61.jpeg
    5F697CE6-2B70-4AEB-AD4A-B33598845B61.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
reeferhood

reeferhood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be a mixed reef. My favorite fish is a copperband. Given their picky eating, I’ll probably build my stocking list around him.

OP
OP
reeferhood

reeferhood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's a bad day at my house. What I had imagined as one of the best days ever came crashing down in a heap of broken glass. My 170 FijiCube arrive today and in the process of moving it into our home, it was dropped on concrete. My heart is broken. I'm going to need a few days to process this one.

Attachments

• Broken Tank.jpg
    Broken Tank.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 49

CHASDB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man, sorry to hear that. Hope nobody was hurt.

Depending on the damage you may be able to rebuild the tank. Front low iron pane and stand float glass bottom with some ASI aquarium sealant on Amazon. Being a cabinet maker, you can do this!

That is a heavy tank, I had a 225 but it was Euro braced and only had 1/2 glass.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear :( ‘Poo’ happens in life, don’t give up!

note: you might be able to file a homeowners insurance claim if house have it…

OP
OP
reeferhood

reeferhood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After calling several glass companies, aquarium maintenance people, and suppliers, I've discovered it would cost more to fix it than to replace it and then I would always have to worry about its integrity. So, I decided to buy a new tank and go for round two. The hit to the wallet sticks, but at least I can sleep at night. This time, I have a real plan for moving the thing. I'll be posting pictures of how I did it once the thing arrives.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 46 58.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back