Reefers! What is Your Profession?!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

At the moment I’m working on pills in place of shots for poorly absorbed peptide drugs like some of the new obesity and diabetes products.
The warden has been in every facet of Clinical Trials for 20+ years. She manages global trials or manages the trials managers or something... Pretty interesting stuff from your and all the way to their end.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our old division manager was like that, scared to climb past the third rung on a ladder. We used to tease him about needing a victim for tower rescue training :face-with-tears-of-joy:
But really though, you would be surprised how many young people head into climbing full of confidence and lock up 30ft from the ground on their first climb. Then they actually do need rescued lol. You are not alone!
I spent ~15 years underground (mostly coal, some metal/nonmetal, some tunneling) and mostly disasters or bad conditions. We didn't get too many that totally froze up, but plenty that made it one shift and said "yep... nope".

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell vintage toys and pop culture ephemera. Sometimes I help out with TV shows, books and web series on the subject as well.
Here is a fun recent example:

My father and I collect American Flyer trains. Quite the collection over the years. I love old toys.

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent 20 years work in software development, network architecture/administration, and general IT gopher until I was put on disability. Now I try to keep a reef tank and read a lot.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rocket (pad) engineer.

Started designing payloads, then designed parts for spacecraft and aircraft, now I help maintain a very complicated trio of gas stations with #4 under construction. Sending stuff to space from the OTHER east coast launch range.

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The warden has been in every facet of Clinical Trials for 20+ years. She manages global trials or manages the trials managers or something... Pretty interesting stuff from your and all the way to their end.
Is she on the pharma/biotech side or with a CRO? I’m on the CRO side.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I work in aerospace. I am a mechanic and work on the machines that make airplane engines.
I fix hydraulic, pneumatic systems, coolant systems, mechanical switches and systems, ect.

In the past I have built live tooling for all the major machine makers and slaughter house machines.
I also was a builder for the oil and gas industry. My major roll there was building antennas that find oil, gas, salt water(believe it or not) and what type of rock they are drilling thru.

All of these things have helped me in figuring out problems and how to fix them.
And why some of my fixing things don't work, lol. Still learning!

7 more years to retirement, but who's counting.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 more years to retirement, but who's counting.
I did. I worked in Manhattan for about 46 years as a commercial construction electrician and started counting down about 44 days before I retired. I used to take the Long Island Rail Road every day and you normally sit on the same train on the same car every day so you get to know the people.

The last two years before I retired, every time I got on the train, all the people would yell out: "HOW MANY DAYS?"

Also while I was in Viet Nam we all had what was called a Short Time calendar. It had 365 places on it to color in and every day you filled in one. I think I still have it. I spent my life counting down. Now that I retired, I won. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up Reefers!
We can’t all be Marine Biologists or Oceanographers, our lives take us on different paths sometimes. I’m a Journeyman Millwright of 20 years, basically an industrial mechanic. My super power is the ability to look at mechanical things that fail or need servicing, and figure out how to do so.

This ability and training allows me to diagnose and rectify many mechanical issues with reef tanks. I am also conditioned to perform regular maintenance routines on my tanks as well.

So my question to you is, what is YOUR profession, and how does it help you with reefing? :thinking-face:
I'm currently a rural mail carrier. It provides money to spend on my tanks.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First job out of college was as a Biology and Physics teacher...hated it. Got into manufacturing supervision and management. The companies that I worked for made zinc dust, vending machines, televisions, and steel wire lanyards. For twenty years, I also worked part-time at various LFS in north NJ. Today, happily retired but still doing handy man work, mainly carpentry and painting to keep busy.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project Mechanical Engineer for 13 years now. I engineer and design the HVAC, Plumbing and Fire Protection systems for high reliability buildings such as data centers. I do a little bit of electrical as well, but its not my licensed discipline.

I also do a lot of woodworking/construction on the side. Mainly carpentry and plumbing/electrical.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We sure do have a super diverse work force here! :D So cool!

NickNH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The jobs dried up near me, but I was a furniture maker for like 8 months, and now I am a 20 year old with no job.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back