ReeFi Duo Extreme LED unboxing and first impressions

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached is a file containing my settings that you can import. Save your current settings in case you want to revert back to your current settings.

Thank you for sharing this! I setup 2 ReeFi Extremes last week and will try this program.

I agree with your first post that these lights are very well made and the fit and finish is great! Excellent customer service as well - I ordered the wrong profile of 1515 aluminum to hang the lights from, reached out to Daniel and he made new adapters for me :)

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been looking into auto moonrise and moonset instead of current user set moon period.... It gets a bit complicated as moon cycle is more than 25hrs so there can be days where there's no moonrise or moonset. Also having auto moonrise and moonset, there will be days where you don't get to see moon lights at night when moon rise and set during the daytime.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been looking into auto moonrise and moonset instead of current user set moon period.... It gets a bit complicated as moon cycle is more than 25hrs so there can be days where there's no moonrise or moonset. Also having auto moonrise and moonset, there will be days where you don't get to see moon lights at night when moon rise and set during the daytime.

If you do manage to figure out a way to follow the actual lunar schedule (combining pahse illumination% with local moonrise & moonset), it would be very beneficial to reef aquariums since certain corals are known to spawn during the full moon. There are several online sources of lunar calendar data, so perhaps there's a way to link to those sources to control the schedule.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals spawning is a good way to crash a tank.

Please explain. I’ve read many articles and posts on coral spawning, and your post is the first I have ever seen making this claim.

Here’s a video of my torch spawning. My tank is healthy and thriving.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oxygen depletion would be my concern at night. I had a single Sps table coral spawn and I couldn't see in the tank is was so milky white. Multiply this by about 50 colonies that all do it at the same time.

It was much more dense than that dinky dispersal you're video is showing.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals spawning is a good way to crash a tank.
If you have the lunar phase included and run it, you, generally, are serious about trying to get your corals to spawn and tank crashing is not an issue. It is a fairly predictable phenomenon particularly if you are trying to get your corals to spawn. I wouldn't recommend trying unless you are prepared and are conscientious. Unintentional spawning can cause problems in a closed system. Read... https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ece3.3538

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a new lobo, so I'm trying the ReeFi acclimation mode for the first time. I didn't have this capability on my old Radions controlled by Apex WXM.

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 4.25.36 PM.png

I set them to 50% and ramp back to normal over 7 days:

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 4.14.01 PM.png
Thank you so much for this great review. Your tank is incredibly beautiful.
After reading this and Dana Riddle’s review of the Reefi LED I’m likely to upgrade to these versus the Radions. Just takes me awhile to make a commitment.
One question though on the acclimation mode. Does this mean you turn down the lights on the whole tank to acclimate on e new coral? If so, how do all the established pieces react to the lower light?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The importance of the glass cover,used by ReeFi shouldn't be underestimated. UV/violet LEDs will eventually 'bake' plastic covers. Good move on Daniel's part.

Yes this is huge..........it's a issue with all diode type brands. This problem usually happens after a year, so their warranty also is expired and you're screwed.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this light available for the US? I currently build my own lights but one day if I'm going to break and spend the big money, I'd like to spend it on this

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this light available for the US? I currently build my own lights but one day if I'm going to break and spend the big money, I'd like to spend it on this

Yes, the company is based near Portland, Oregon.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha, googling the light was sending me to a page with just a description, no price or anything... So I assumed it wasn't for sale here.

I found it though.

I love, love, love the balanced colors of this light and the number of leds is perfect for its size. Right now I'm a led t5 hybrid guy, but my tank is small. With a larger tank, it just makes so much more sense to go with an all led setup. Pay the money up front and get the right equipment and then save money in electricity and buy replacement crap the following years

kjbrooks71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting mine up tonight.. It is an impressive piece of equipment. Can't wait to see what a real reef light will look like; i was using a pair of Fluval 3.0 Marine lights.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Attached is a file containing my settings that you can import. Save your current settings in case you want to revert back to your current settings.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 5.43.24 PM.png

How do I import the settings?
When I open the Notepad, it has info I do not understand like po_cfo=0

I'd like to try your settings, thanks.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should first save your current settings to a file. Then import my settings to try them out. If you want to revert to your original settings, load it back from the file you saved.

68002654_ScreenShot2020-02-16at9_09_30AM.thumb.png.41b83170e905e3027faea4def7270c1e.png

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From ReeFi interface, go-to menu ==> retrieve led settings. From there you can choose file and load settings. You might want to make a backup of your settings. Also make sure you are on the same v3.x firmware first.

20200222_134411.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back