Reefi vs Kessil 360x

stros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to see if anyone has any comparison of the Reefi extreme vs the Kessil 360x. I know the kessil has the best shimmer, but want to know if the Reefi have better fill in so you don't have to supplement with t5. I am also interested in long term growth and color with both fixtures. I want to change leds on my current tank. Tank is a Fiji cube 81 gal mixed reef. Dimensions are 36x24x24 .
Thanks for any input!

Mark

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've begun a retro light set for my build (that technically hasn't started) I've got 8 x 36" T5 and 4x Kessil A360WE for a 72Lx30Dx24H tank I will be having built custom. Hopefully someone with experience with the Reefi Extreme and A360X will chime in...

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've talked with Daniel, the designer and builder of the Reefi fixtures. Hopefully he will jump in here and offer some help. I'm actually interested in trying his fixture. I just have a hard time justifying the expense since I already have 3 Reef Breeder Photon V2+ fixtures (2 over my 36x30x20 DT and 1 over my 16g Rock Flower Anemone breeding tank).

@danlu_gt

OP
OP
S

stros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input! How hard is it to find the correct light schedule and color settings? I assume it is very hard to tell without a par meter. How long do you keep it on the program before trying an adjustment. Again I assume it has to do with how your corals react.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey stros. I have the exact same tank you have and it’s been lit with a metal halide/t5 combo for the six months that it has been running. Last week I took the plunge and bought 2x ReeFi duo extremes to replace my current light. I was going to set them up and PAR match them this coming weekend. I’ll post my settings once I get them set up!

OP
OP
S

stros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey stros. I have the exact same tank you have and it’s been lit with a metal halide/t5 combo for the six months that it has been running. Last week I took the plunge and bought 2x ReeFi duo extremes to replace my current light. I was going to set them up and PAR match them this coming weekend. I’ll post my settings once I get them set up!
Awesome! I am interested to see the results. Please post some photos of you tank and mounts. Thanks again.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old Apogee meter I bough many years ago in a huge group buy at another website. It was known to read most of the blue spectrum leds low, so we add 10-15% for the blues. Other than that, it's nearly indestructible.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! FYI, the video is a bit more purplish/warm than what I see in real life with my settings.

This picture is more true to life.
IMG_3647.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update! The video of your tank is great thanks for posting. Your tank looks very nice. Can you continue to post some updates as you get some more time on the lights. Interested to see if things change much.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update! The video of your tank is great thanks for posting. Your tank looks very nice. Can you continue to post some updates as you get some more time on the lights. Interested to see if things change much.
Will do!

So far everything looks good approximately 6 days in. I was expecting an increase in alk due to the change in light and photo-acclimation, but my alk consumption has actually increased a bit, which is a good sign. Acros still are visibly growing as well, which is always a good sign as well. Coloration remains good, perhaps even a bit better since the swap.

I'll keep ya'll updated though!

OP
OP
S

stros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much debate I decided to go with 2 ReeFi duo extremes . I have been in contact with Daniel the owner and all I can say is awesome customer service. Not only did he answer all my questions he even did some custom 3D printed mounts for my set up. I should have them this coming week. I am looking forward to seeing them in person.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much debate I decided to go with 2 ReeFi duo extremes . I have been in contact with Daniel the owner and all I can say is awesome customer service. Not only did he answer all my questions he even did some custom 3D printed mounts for my set up. I should have them this coming week. I am looking forward to seeing them in person.
I think you're really gonna like them. I have not regretted swapping to the Reefis. I've run Radions, Orpheks, Nanoboxes, ATIs, and Gieseman fixtures in the past, and my favorite fixture so far is the Reefi. My corals also continue to do exceptionally well too despite going from halide/T5 to pure LEDs.

OP
OP
S

stros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any hints to getting the acclimating right . I currently have 1 Ghl mitra over my tank . I know these have great power and having 2 makes me worry about burning corals. What height off the water is recommended ? It is a mixed reef with small frags at this point.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any hints to getting the acclimating right . I currently have 1 Ghl mitra over my tank . I know these have great power and having 2 makes me worry about burning corals. What height off the water is recommended ? It is a mixed reef with small frags at this point.
I did a careful acclimation process over the course of 21 days, which seemed to work well. No corals deaths, and all of my corals kept growing at a rapid rate.

I had a friend help me PAR map most of my tank (especially the locations of each of my acro mini colonies) across the light settings of my previous light setup. I then matched my previous schedule/spectrum (visually matched) with the Reefi. Finally, I PAR matched as best I could and set the lights to run acclimation mode starting at 85% over 21 days.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back