Reefing: A Seasonal Hobby?

Is Reefing Seasonal in Your Area?

  • Yes

    Votes: 30 53.6%
  • No

    Votes: 24 42.9%
  • Unsure

    Votes: 2 3.6%

  • Total voters
    56

Reefer Matt

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2021
Messages
11,243
Reaction score
42,954
Location
US
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely seasonal in Michigan, though I tend to remind those in my group about keeping up on their maintenance. December to April is prime reefing time here.
 
My LFS owner told me that during the covid lock down business was booming. But summer is usually much slower than fall-winter.
 
Not sure how seasonal reefing is around here in the UAE, I spend most of my holidays abroad. But I must say reefing was at its prime during early to mid covid. For two reasons; many people were leaving the hobby so I saw many tanks and livestock for sale and many people were joining the hobby to have something to keep them occupied during lockdown.
 
My LFS owner told me that during the covid lock down business was booming. But summer is usually much slower than fall-winter.
Yes, covid certainly got a lot more people in the hobby. I notice a lot of tanks for sale now that lockdowns are over though. Hopefully some of them stayed.
 
It looks like reefing season in my area is coming to a close again. How about your region?
 
Im a fishing guide so i only have excess miney for reefing equipment may-october so ive got a reverse busy season.
 
I can't take time away from my Acropora tanks. It seems there's something to do almost every day. Our vacations are long weekends at best.
 
24/7/365 personally. Not sure about commercialy. I have four tanks running and ato is my only automation so that is my excuse for not traveling. But I traveled enough when I was younger and have no desire to do so now. Being retired helps as well.
 
Summer is baack! Don’t forget your tank!
 
Has anyone noticed the forums have been a bit quieter lately?
 
Very seasonal in the UK - koi gets popular in the summer as people setup ponds. In my experience, there's a downward trajectory from May before it starts picking up again in September. January and February is peak season.
 
Has anyone noticed the forums have been a bit quieter lately?
Yes. I think the “content curator” challenge ended. I’ve dialed back posting also. And the normal summer slowdown is in full swing.
 
I checked yes, but that is not really true. It's more a 24/7 thing for me but I tend to coast through the summer with the biggest changes always happening in the late fall/winter/early spring months when I am not doing much outside
 
Very much so in Buffalo. When I worked at my LFS, summers were always pretty slow other than people coming in to pick up dry goods for maintenance. Lots of people did set up tanks though
 
Bigtime here in MN! Can’t barely get 1 person to show up to club meetings in the summer…
New to reefing, is this club thing common? Also how do you search for one in your area easily if so? Sorry if its a stupid question just first I heard of it!
 
Texas is hot in the summer. People aren’t out much in the heat of the day. I don’t think reefing is very seasonal here.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new