Reefing as Cancer Therapy

tho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! There are many lovely people here always looking to help.

giphy.gif

Coralcrazy06770

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have been a long time lurker on this site. I used to have a nice reef tank about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, health issues forced me to take it down. Oddly, it is now health issues that are making me think about starting things back up.

When I originally took my reef down, I was forced to do so because of back issues. I lived alone and just couldn't give the tank the attention that it deserved. That was about ten years ago. Fast forward 10 years and I am married and living in a new home. During these last 10 years, I have always kept up with the reefing world. It is just so fascinating to me. As a result, I have slowly come around to the idea of starting up again.

Unfortunately, I am now faced with a much more serious health issue-Stage 4 cancer. I was diagnosed about a week or two ago and it has been a whirlwind of doctors, testing and pain. Yet, this has sparked an interest in getting involved again in reefing. A little about myself would probably clear things up. My whole life I have been a projects orientated person. Whenever I am faced with serious issues, I find it easier to cope when I have a side hobby/project going. During most of my hardest life issues, I have sought out the comfort of diversion that comes from a good project.

I am hoping that this might be a good project to slightly divert my attention from the treatment. What are your thoughts on this? Has anyone in the group started something like this while fighting cancer. Should I just focus on something simpler. I really would like to hear thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!
I want to introduce myself . My name is Scott I am on my second battle with cancer and to be totally honest with you if it wasnt for this hobby i really dont think i would still be here . There is nothing more relaxing and de stressing then sitting and looking at my reef tanks . If you ever want to talk i am here for you even if its just to compare pics and smile

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polish_20200506_011127297.jpg

@Bonvivant25, we are honored to have you join us!

As you can see by the responses, this is a good family to belong to! Members are some of the best on the planet and willing to support you all the way!

Prayers sent for you and all that are battling this. We are here for you!

I wrote a article touching on the therapeutic effect sometime ago for the forum. If you wish to read it, here's the link:

Once again, welcome!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's an outstanding idea! Reefing has been a great escape from my high pressure job for more than a decade. I think we should adopt your tank! I for one will be happy to send you some frags when your tank is ready for them! Just let me know what kind of corals you are interested in!

Praying for you as you go through this journey! Jay (@hdsoftail1065) can empathize with you more than any of us!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the family.

Building and watching a colorful living reef tank grow has been very positive for my mind and health, Hopefully if you pursue a tank you will find the same rewards. Tank or no tank you already have a huge new family here.

1593135051740.gif

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to our community, and I’m very sorry about your situation. A reef tank is very relaxing and will bring you hours of pleasure, and best wishes.

OP
OP
B

Bonvivant25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers! I sure need them. I showed this thread to my wife and she was emotionally moved by the outpouring of encouragement and support. She is all on board with me doing this. So, I have decided to do it. I will keep you all posted with my progress. Thanks!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
wishing you all the best..here 24/7 for support ;) :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back