Reefing Saved My Life!

AZL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing, this is spot on! I'm a psychologist running a non-profit mental health service that while open to all sees a very high percentage of visitors having complex issues and far more men than women. My areas of specialty are psychosis, complex personality disorder including anti-social PD which in layman terms is referred to as psychopathy, and adult ADHD and conduct disorders - particularly when two or more of these diagnoses coincide as they very often do. My experience is both professional and personal, I am comfortable working with the highest risk individuals as we have a lot in common and therefore I don't have the fear or judgement to deal with that many other professionals find to be a barrier with the cohort. I do find most of the people I work with have experienced intense trauma and PTSD is a factor and our organisation does see many ex-service people as as other demographics. My issues (schizoaffective disorder, ADHD with conduct disorder, and APD) became more problematic recently and I was struggling to remain stable and focused enough to fulfill my responsibilities to the organisation or even to deal with my personal matters and support my spouse who suffers greatly from schizophrenia and depression. A freshwater community tank was re-homed with me and after having been away from fish keeping all of my adult life I was immediately obsessed, setting up full marine for a pair of rescue puffers just a month later. I now have a large reef tank at home they've been upgraded to as well as two freshwater communities and small tanks with a male betta, fry, QT, etc. Caring for the intricate needs of these lovely, interactive creatures has been the main factor in me avoiding a complete breakdown and getting back to functionality. I set a reef tank up at the office as well which relaxes and engages our visitors and team. it has been a pleasant surprise to learn that many of our most disenfranchised and in other's view 'difficult' visitors are actually expert reefers and a very supportive community has developed around this. I could not recommend fish keeping and particularly reefing highly enough as an activity to support mental health and wellbeing.

Derby City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is for the general discussion of the Article Reefing Saved My Life!. Please add to the discussion here.
Great thread! I am new to reefing (about 5 months) and it has helpes me in ways I never thought possible. I was a heroin addict for 15 years. Even though ive been clean a few years now reefing has helpes me stay that way since I've started. I can be having a bad day and when I get home and see my kids and my tank it helps tremendously. A few years ago I couldn't keep a place to live or a job and now I get to come home to my family and a beautiful box of water that brings happiness into my life even when everything else is falling apart

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back