ReefKeeper Lite and MyReef 2.0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great post guys, I had no idea they were going out of business. Just look on BRS and everything is on sale for digital aquatics.... biggest problem i can think of is the temp probe, I've had digital aquatics temp probe go bad and they are pretty proprietary.... might be a concern.

I owned a ReefKeeper and the temp probe quit working several times and had to be replaced.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a lot of potential with Digital Aquatics but I saw this coming years ago.

Iirv 2-3 years ago they where bought out and a lot of the employees where let go, that's when the archon was released and being hyped. Then they just stopped supporting everything about a year ago.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iirv 2-3 years ago they where bought out and a lot of the employees where let go, that's when the archon was released and being hyped. Then they just stopped supporting everything about a year ago.
This.

They were a good cheaper option. I have one for my QT system. I was working with them to fix their issue with My Reef on Win10 computers with touch screens. Then one day the guy just stopped responding. I’m surprised BRS wouldn’t have them labeled as discontinued.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know Dynon has always been the parent company. Dynon is still in business. They just decided to get out of the aquarium controller business. They still make their avionics electronics.

OP
OP
aquaman67

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.

I’ve decided not to take the chance and send my RKL back. With no manufacturer support it’s not worth the risk to me.

It may have worked trouble free for years. But then again maybe not.

I may start looking at other controllers.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FSTASFCK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. They should release the skematics and open source the source code.

They should do this if they aren't going to support their product! I'm pretty irritated I just bought a full system not to long ago and to not have access to probes, modules, etc. in the future is really a big concern!

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digital Aquatics support never was very good, anyway, so the loss of the company support presence is not much of a loss. But I'd be very leery of buying another DA product at this point, too, unless it was super cheap. They are very reliable, so the lack of company support may not be much of an issue. I have two RK2's that I've used for many years -- they are very good quality controllers and equipment, and I prefer them immensely over Apex stuff. I now consider them disposable items if they should ever fail, but I don't have a clue what I'd replace them with.

The pH probe and ORP probes are generic items, so they could still be replaced. I'm not sure about the temperature probe, and it's the only RK component I ever had fail.

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. They should release the skematics and open source the source code.
It would be nice, but very unlikely. Even if they did, it is pretty unlikely the vast majority of people would do anything with it. They likely take the same approach most businesses take these days, it is better to let it sit on a shelf and collect dust than to let someone else do something with it.

I'm dealing with this in my own professional life right now. I'm buying some IP collecting dust from my current employer so I can start a business around it. They have no intention of using it ever, but they still want a ton of money for it. (Well into the six figures)

FSTASFCK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digital Aquatics support never was very good, anyway, so the loss of the company support presence is not much of a loss. But I'd be very leery of buying another DA product at this point, too, unless it was super cheap. They are very reliable, so the lack of company support may not be much of an issue. I have two RK2's that I've used for many years -- they are very good quality controllers and equipment, and I prefer them immensely over Apex stuff. I now consider them disposable items if they should ever fail, but I don't have a clue what I'd replace them with.

The pH probe and ORP probes are generic items, so they could still be replaced. I'm not sure about the temperature probe, and it's the only RK component I ever had fail.
Yes, I knew their support wasn’t anything fabulous after doing my research but for what the products are capable of doing I am more than pleased. I’m just worried about the expendable items that need replacing on occasion...hope we can figure something out that works (temp probe mainly)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I knew their support wasn’t anything fabulous after doing my research but for what the products are capable of doing I am more than pleased. I’m just worried about the expendable items that need replacing on occasion...hope we can figure something out that works (temp probe mainly)
If you utilize the temp port on the SLX or the SL2, any temp probe with the dual terminal connector (molex) would work. But the APEX temp sensor looks like it utilizes the BUS connector...I wonder if it wouldn't work in place of the DA Itemp probe?

Last edited:

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this means there is no support from the manufacturer.

What about the warranty?

D/A being defunct is something BRS should probably mention?

I’m not sure I want to keep the RKL I just bought now. Knowing there was no support would have influenced my decision to buy one in the first place.

It’s my fault I guess for not researching. I just didn’t think to make sure the company still exists before buying their product.

We're working on some messaging right now. Unfortunately, we were also a bit in the dark on this one.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily I located a source that still had probes available, so I scooped them up. Temp, Salinity, and PH.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might have replacement for the salinity probe. I will need to order one to find out for sure. Just a matter of fitting it in the tank budget. I am still researching the temp probe. I have not had the actual temp probe fail. It has been the connector so far.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back