ReefKeeper Lite and MyReef 2.0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sad to hear that DA is gone. I never would have expected high level software support or customer service from them, but for the extremely reasonable price of the RKL you got 4 controllable outlets with a temp probe. That is 99 percent of what I ever really need out of a controller for client systems. I have people who opt for full featured apex systems, but I don't want a login and I don't want a return pump plugged into it. I currently run my growout system with an RKL and have many in the field. I think they might have had more success if they didn't try and sink company resources into full on controllers/dosers etc and simply manufactured the most full featured and best value temp controller on the market - the RKL. I would absolutely buy a similar product if it could be had for a similar price. In fact I may spend a little time looking at what it would cost upfront to get a few thousand unit run of roughly equivalent units contract built by an OEM. The market is limited but certainly present for such a barebones control system. @Ryanbrs - maybe something you guys could get OEM if you have any interest in marketing an in house reliable temp controller.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said earlier, I've been very satisfied with the Reefkeeper controller for many years. But I also have to point out that as the years passed, I ended up using fewer and fewer of its capabilities. Originally I used it to control the heater, a chiller, the lights, the powerheads (wavemaker mode), and monitor pH, and to provide pump standby mode for feeding and water changes. Since originally installed, I've changed my lights from MH to LED with their own controllers. Because of that I also no longer need the chillers. My Maxspect Gyre has its own controller. I've always used a separate top-off system. My dosing pump system also has its own controls. As of today, the only thing I'm using the RK2 for is temperature control and pH monitoring. Everything else is done by separate controllers.

With the right peripherals, a more modern controller would allow me to hold tighter tolerances in the water by monitoring salinity and pH and automatic dosing, but the cost for this would be pretty ridiculous. At this point I could easily just pick up a separate heater controller system and a pH monitor to replace the RK2 and be right where I am today. I question though, whether there is really any separate heater controller that's as accurate as the RK. I have a brand new RKE system sitting in the closet, never used because the new system I bought it for never happened, and the RK2 is still doing everything I need it to do, which really isn't very much.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that getting any type of useful support from DA was challenging but none of my controllers have ever failed with the exception of 1 or 2 temperature probes from the original design. I still utilize their RK Elite, RK Lite & believe or not their original RK controller that did not have any PH monitoring option.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sad to hear that DA is gone. I never would have expected high level software support or customer service from them, but for the extremely reasonable price of the RKL you got 4 controllable outlets with a temp probe. That is 99 percent of what I ever really need out of a controller for client systems. I have people who opt for full featured apex systems, but I don't want a login and I don't want a return pump plugged into it. I currently run my growout system with an RKL and have many in the field. I think they might have had more success if they didn't try and sink company resources into full on controllers/dosers etc and simply manufactured the most full featured and best value temp controller on the market - the RKL. I would absolutely buy a similar product if it could be had for a similar price. In fact I may spend a little time looking at what it would cost upfront to get a few thousand unit run of roughly equivalent units contract built by an OEM. The market is limited but certainly present for such a barebones control system. @Ryanbrs - maybe something you guys could get OEM if you have any interest in marketing an in house reliable temp controller.
We are working on a better heater and temp controller as we speak.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquaman67

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are working on a better heater and temp controller as we speak.

That’s great to hear.

Any idea when it might be available?

It looks like BRS has removed most ReefKeeper products from their website.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great to hear.

Any idea when it might be available?

It looks like BRS has removed most ReefKeeper products from their website.

we are in the beginning stages :)

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my second source conductivity probe to try on the SL2v2 module. I ordered an Apera Instruments 2301C https://aperainst.com/apera-instrum...s-cm-to-200-ms-cm-bnc-connector-polycarbonate. I hooked it up to an SL2 along with a temp probe and hooked it to my RKE head unit to test. I figured the RKE or RKL would be the one that would be hardest to get it to work on. I calibrated it and it looks like it will work correctly. The photo below is of RKE readback of the probe in my tank water after calibration.

IMG_2205.JPG

Below are photos of the box and probe

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2202.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

Hope this will help anyone looking for this probe. I am still researching a replacement for the temp probe.

Last edited:

Rattzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I came across this thread. I had no idea they went out of business.. unfortunate. I have an RKL and am very pleased with it so far. I've only had it for a year but as for an affordable temp/ heater controller its spot on. Im using it to control my ATO and monitor pH also. I'll admit the features and interface on the Neptune is a reef geeks dream but the $800 price tag is hard to swallow. Guess Ill have start saving my pennies.

Solis Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I love my RKE I will hang on my I have a lot of extra modules and stuff. If you guys get an alternative to the temperature pro please let us know. BRS keep up the good work.

Stephen Olner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got into a panic last night as I was getting error messages on the display. Everything seemed to be working fine other than the dispaly. I resolved by unplugging the display and it managed to reset itself. So I decided to price up what I got . I figured I'd have to spend the best part of $400. Apex jr. PM1 PM2 and a break out IO box. I guess i better get saving

Frogg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok fellas. Would it be worth it to me to purchase a rke. I want basic but helpful features and it seem it will fill the bill. Thanks to whomever posted the archives. It seems like material is still available. But real question is....... does the my reef 2.0 still work? Can I login to the unit from a computer or internet (w/ the right products). I'm just worried I get the unit. Can't program it, and the software required doesn't exsist. I see there are a few reefers off loading products.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok fellas. Would it be worth it to me to purchase a rke. I want basic but helpful features and it seem it will fill the bill. Thanks to whomever posted the archives. It seems like material is still available. But real question is....... does the my reef 2.0 still work? Can I login to the unit from a computer or internet (w/ the right products). I'm just worried I get the unit. Can't program it, and the software required doesn't exsist. I see there are a few reefers off loading products.
The software is still available. There is a link at the beginning of the thread, as well as a stickied thread on top of the controllers forum. Not sure if remote access is still available with the net module. I should hook mine up and find out...

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system can be programmed without the use of myReef. It just makes it a little easier to program. You will need a NET module for network access. It is a wired connection. To gain access from the internet you will have to setup port forwarding in your router and use a ddns service.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tom g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys came across a brand new reefkeeper in a box of stuff given to me from a friend , it has no updates I tried downloading the file on the first page but nothing oopens on the reefkeeper 2.0 file anyone have any insight
thanks in advance

Back