ReefMat fleece roll consumption

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I m not on board with tha advanced length affecting how long the roll lasts. I have had mine from very short to long. While I had a dino outbreak i tried differing values and the end result was the same - quickly burned through rolls. Dino's went away, rolls lasted longer. I am currently at 3.0-3.2" advance and I just replaced a roll after 42 days (daily avg is ~24").
My theory is this - the amount you adjust affects only how often the motor runs. If you adjust a very small amount - say 0.5" - you are only removing that .5" AND adding a very small .5" of clean. Water level will drop accordingly and advance again - quickly - for another .5". Move to 3" - now I took out a lot more dirty, AND added 3" of new - water level drops LOWER than with .5" advance AND takes a lot longer to advance again. Now, given the time difference between advances with .5" vs 3"? Is it really making a difference? I am not so sure that advance length plays any role in how much you use. I believe it purely dictates how often your motor runs. I would love to see a test (somehow) on IF it makes a difference in nutrients - I am not seeing it.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I m not on board with tha advanced length affecting how long the roll lasts. I have had mine from very short to long. While I had a dino outbreak i tried differing values and the end result was the same - quickly burned through rolls. Dino's went away, rolls lasted longer. I am currently at 3.0-3.2" advance and I just replaced a roll after 42 days (daily avg is ~24").
My theory is this - the amount you adjust affects only how often the motor runs. If you adjust a very small amount - say 0.5" - you are only removing that .5" AND adding a very small .5" of clean. Water level will drop accordingly and advance again - quickly - for another .5". Move to 3" - now I took out a lot more dirty, AND added 3" of new - water level drops LOWER than with .5" advance AND takes a lot longer to advance again. Now, given the time difference between advances with .5" vs 3"? Is it really making a difference? I am not so sure that advance length plays any role in how much you use. I believe it purely dictates how often your motor runs. I would love to see a test (somehow) on IF it makes a difference in nutrients - I am not seeing it.
As far as a difference in nutrients I would say that people have found changing socks more frequently to help lower nutrients as they don’t leach back into the water, I feel and only an opinion that drawing the waste out of the water on the waste spool would keep the waste from further degrading in the water.

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, again, if you only remove .5" and the motor runs every x amt of time vs 3" out and motor runs x-y amount of time, is there really a difference? Theoretical - but if I move .5" out and motor runs every 15 minutes or I move out 3" and motor runs every 90 minutes, what is the difference? There is alwasy dirty in the water unless you advance the whole bucket every time - then I could see it advanceing maybe 1-2x a day - all the while sitting in the water - dirty.

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just changed a roll yesterday - I typically advance 3" every ~4 hours. After a change, with brand new full length, it didn't advance agian for 9 hours! Then right back to every 4.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did weekly tests and I saw difference when I changed increments. I think of it this way if you advance short time then the piece that is dirty will get more dirty even though u moved half inch vs let's say 3 inches. I saw a difference so not sure, but could be anecdotal.

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made my point! Unless you advance the whole bucket (which I believe is 18") you always have dirty media in the water. After a new roll change (I'm @3" advance, roll didin't move for 9 hours because it was 100% clean to start). Once that fouled up (9 hours), it moves 3" (3" out, 3" in, which leaves 15" of dirty in the bucket) and is back on schedule of 4 hours - 3" every 4 hours. Keep in mind though, from the very first minute it started - it was getting dirty - so for 8 hours and 59 minutes it was 'dirty - > dirtier' in the water.
If i had the money to burn, I'd set up 2 of these on 1 tank from a dual drain and see what happens, If flow was equal through both units - 1 set @0.5" and the other at whatever larger value - I'd bet my money that both rolls expire at the same time - or close enough to call it a wash.

MichaelP121579

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm using 50- 60" per day. I'm on my second roll. I have 150 DT with a out 40 gal sump. I'm running a core 15 at 25% according to the FMM around 235 gph. I just bumped the return to 50%. I run low flow for UV purposes. I'm thinking about raising my roller up. On another note. My Phos and Nitrate are high. I was worried the roller would strip them. I am skimming heavy (Reef Octo150 Varios) also running Rowa Phos. Not meaning to be all over the place but does my flees look dirty to yaw?
Suggestions are always appreciated

Attachments

• 20230110_174055.jpg
    20230110_174055.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20230101_163838.jpg
    20230101_163838.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 76

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using 50- 60" per day. I'm on my second roll. I have 150 DT with a out 40 gal sump. I'm running a core 15 at 25% according to the FMM around 235 gph. I just bumped the return to 50%. I run low flow for UV purposes. I'm thinking about raising my roller up. On another note. My Phos and Nitrate are high. I was worried the roller would strip them. I am skimming heavy (Reef Octo150 Varios) also running Rowa Phos. Not meaning to be all over the place but does my flees look dirty to yaw?
Suggestions are always appreciated
Looks every bit as dirty as mine.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about adding a custom roller filter mat to my system, but this thread has changed my mind. sticking with $125.00 - 90' x 4' filter floss roll ;)

When I ordered it, I had no idea how big it was, had to leave it there as it did not fit in the Jaguar XKR, came back the next day with my F250 ..... My filter tray is 2' x 2' = 180 weeks for $125.00 that 70 cents a week.

IMG_0008.jpeg

Last edited:

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running the REEFMAT 1200 on my REDSEA REEFER 500 PENINSULA. On my 3rd roll, I get about 35-40 days out of each roll.

FWIW, I’m currently running a QT on my display with 40 Fishes Only With PVC, I observe a consistent drop in ~5% of 2.50ppm Copper Power daily, since the start of QT 25 days ago. I think the fleece “rolled” out the Copper along with waste. Just saying.

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running the REEFMAT 1200 on my REDSEA REEFER 500 PENINSULA. On my 3rd roll, I get about 35-40 days out of each roll.

FWIW, I’m currently running a QT on my display with 40 Fishes Only With PVC, I observe a consistent drop in ~5% of 2.50ppm Copper Power daily, since the start of QT 25 days ago. I think the fleece “rolled” out the Copper along with waste. Just saying.
Will the fleece pull out meds? I didn't think it would but may explain why my prazi treatments never work. Lol.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the fleece pull out meds? I didn't think it would but may explain why my prazi treatments never work. Lol.
Well… my suspicion. If not, I really don’t know where my copper goes consistently, with only fishes and PVC. Lol.

Last edited:

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really feel that something changed with this roll. I looked at the dispensing log and the amount it uses doubled from the day it was changed. I wonder if they changed something with the fleece recently? From what it says, I will be lucky to get 3 weeks out of this one and I used to get 50 to 65 days consistently with the other 4.

I haven't been feeding any more than before and honestly nothing else has changed so I'm stumped.

The only idea I have is that I dosed prazipro 4 times in a row to get rid of flukes. Maybe the bacteria bloom has something to do with it? Not sure if it would but it's the only thing I can think of.

Obviously it is working because the roll is dirty but almost 60 bucks a month on fleece is pretty expensive imo.

Last edited:

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I really feel that something changed with this roll. I looked at the dispensing log and the amount it uses doubled from the day it was changed. I wonder if they changed something with the fleece recently? From what it says, I will be lucky to get 3 weeks out of this one and I used to get 50 to 65 days consistently with the other 4.

I haven't been feeding any more than before and honestly nothing else has changed so I'm stumped.

The only idea I have is that I dosed prazipro 4 times in a row to get rid of flukes. Maybe the bacteria bloom has something to do with it? Not sure if it would but it's the only thing I can think of.

Obviously it is working because the roll is dirty but almost 60 bucks a month on fleece is pretty expensive imo.
You might be on to something there. I don’t remember your tank size, but I run the 1200 on two 210g tanks and a 160g. The 160 is a predator tank with large fish and I feed heavy. I’m averaging 70 some inches a day. Around the same in my 210 reef. Not running nearly as much in the other 210, but it is fallow right now. I sure hope they didn’t change the mat, hopefully it is just because of the prazipro and it will return to lesser consumption.

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be on to something there. I don’t remember your tank size, but I run the 1200 on two 210g tanks and a 160g. The 160 is a predator tank with large fish and I feed heavy. I’m averaging 70 some inches a day. Around the same in my 210 reef. Not running nearly as much in the other 210, but it is fallow right now. I sure hope they didn’t change the mat, hopefully it is just because of the prazipro and it will return to lesser consumption.
I run the 1200 too. I have a 180 with a 75 sump fowlr. Medium stocked (video below if you wanted to see) at the moment. I don't really feed heavy and the feeding has been consistent with how I fed before. I just don't believe in coincidence and it literally starts to use twice as much the day I installed this latest roll. I really feel this roll is different.

Pay no attention to the banana wrasse hanging out in the corner. He has been sick for a couple weeks and can't figure out what's wrong with him even with help from gurus on here. He hasn't eaten in over 2 weeks :(

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I run the 1200 too. I have a 180 with a 75 sump fowlr. Medium stocked (video below if you wanted to see) at the moment. I don't really feed heavy and the feeding has been consistent with how I fed before. I just don't believe in coincidence and it literally starts to use twice as much the day I installed this latest roll. I really feel this roll is different.

Pay no attention to the banana wrasse hanging out in the corner. He has been sick for a couple weeks and can't figure out what's wrong with him even with help from gurus on here. He hasn't eaten in over 2 weeks :(
Nice tank. Here is my FOWLR. Probably going to have to move them into my 210 and do a soft or hard reset on this tank as I may have used the wrong rock on it. My LFS had some really nice looking shapes, but think it came out of a freshwater tank and am struggling to get it where I want it.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run a 1200 I am getting now around 45" a day. Use to be around 65. Honestly they can't really change much other then roll material. Because same drain and some sensor. Only when water rises and triggers the sensors then it turns. I noticed if you go lower in advancement it helps to use less roll. I do around 25 days on one roll on 200g, but Def each roll is different a little in terms of usage. Any bacterial bloom or algae and etc will use more rolls material.

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 1200 I am getting now around 45" a day. Use to be around 65. Honestly they can't really change much other then roll material. Because same drain and some sensor. Only when water rises and triggers the sensors then it turns. I noticed if you go lower in advancement it helps to use less roll. I do around 25 days on one roll on 200g, but Def each roll is different a little in terms of usage. Any bacterial bloom or algae and etc will use more rolls material.
I figured the bacterial bloom could be the culprit. What is weird is that my roll had 5 days left a bout 12 days ago and still has about half an inch left. It also reached 120 plus feet on the roll and glitched the system into an error. Changed it to an "unspecified roll" and wouldnt do auto advance after 120 feet. Has anyone else seen theirs do this? I don't understand why it wouldn't measure correctly since I installed a new roll and marked it accordingly. First time it's done this. Something isn't measuring correctly.

I sent a support request to red sea to get their input.

Last edited:

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I figured the bacterial bloom could be the culprit. What is weird is that my roll had 5 days left a bout 12 days ago and still has about half an inch left. It also reached 120 plus feet on the roll and glitched the system into an error. Changed it to an "unspecified roll" and wouldnt do auto advance after 120 feet. Has anyone else seen theirs do this? I don't understand why it wouldn't measure correctly since I installed a new roll and marked it accordingly. First time it's done this. Something isn't measuring correctly.

I sent a support request to red sea to get their input.
I had once reach over 120ft and basically stopped. Even though there was a little left, but not that much. Maybe a foot or two. I assume that the turning wheel is not super accurate which is measuring incorrectly. It's weird that yours is off by that much.

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the same once it reaches 120' on the app - stops and won't go further. I have yet to have enough left @120' measured to worry about. Typically less than 6". Also, mine will say 2 days left and run for as many as 5-6 more days before reaching this point.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back