ReefQueen's 45 cubecube

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lawnmower blenny loves Mysis and even eats cut up table shrimp he can clean my frag rack in no time too gotta get one they are my fave fish in the tank he follows me around like a puppy and his eyebrows are cute too lol one of my fave past times is trying to find him when lights come on he's a great hider lol

Also try cutting blues down pretty low it still glows but my cell picks up the colors better

Matze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm that's something I didn't consider. We are surrounded by trees and the railroad always stirs crap up. I really have to scrub my windows outside from all the crud the trains kick up. Thank you, I can't wait to see what it looks like in a few months;)

Same thing here ;) You'll see that stuff wont stay long

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lawnmower blenny loves Mysis and even eats cut up table shrimp he can clean my frag rack in no time too gotta get one they are my fave fish in the tank he follows me around like a puppy and his eyebrows are cute too lol one of my fave past times is trying to find him when lights come on he's a great hider lol

Also try cutting blues down pretty low it still glows but my cell picks up the colors better

Darn, maybe I do need a lawnmower blenny lol. It's funny because I keep seeing them in others tanks lately and keep talking myself out of one. They are one of the cutest ugly fish around hahaha. I am totally not messing with the lights now that they are programmed lol. I've been wanting to turn them up 5% but I would have to change the % for every 20 minutes the lights are on, and i just can't find the motivation to do it lol. So I guess I will stick with cruddy pics for a while longer, or maybe try and figure out how photoshop works haha.

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the blenny is a great addition was one of my first fish
I hear ya on the lights I just wait till they start ramping down before I take photos when mine get about 20% blues or lower my cell does a much better job of capturing good pics I have a lg g10 cell and it also has a manual setting that I can control the white balance and color temp and also focus pretty easily don't know if your camera has that ability but might be worth messing with also :) Photoshop isn't hard to work with just the 600 bux or so price tag for the full version turns most folks off lol course you could get it pirated of the net if you know where to look lol

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the blenny is a great addition was one of my first fish
I hear ya on the lights I just wait till they start ramping down before I take photos when mine get about 20% blues or lower my cell does a much better job of capturing good pics I have a lg g10 cell and it also has a manual setting that I can control the white balance and color temp and also focus pretty easily don't know if your camera has that ability but might be worth messing with also :) Photoshop isn't hard to work with just the 600 bux or so price tag for the full version turns most folks off lol course you could get it pirated of the net if you know where to look lol
I have the note 5 now, I almost got an LG, but I had the G2 a few years ago and could not handle not having a home button lol. I've had every note so far and they are definitely my favorite phones. I am sure I can do all kinds of stuff photo wise with it, I just can't figure it out lol.and I'm sure my husband could, ahem, "get" me photoshop the same way he used to get his music before he became a CD junkie;) But since I probably couldn't figure it out I'll just make due with what I have. I am not computer savvy at all. I can play games and surf the Web like a pro lol, but you would think I was 70 years old with how bad I am with technology haha.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and a tank update. I think I need to fish out my peppermint shrimp. It looks like someone was munching on my galaxea, and he is the most likely suspect. It was fine last night and when I checked on the tank early this morning (I didn't sleep last night, work is going to suck) it was missing a bunch of flesh. I am not looking forward to catching this guy. I have had him for a long time and he has only been acting up recently:/

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know pep shrimp would eat corals. My galaxea stopped opening at all like a month ago still alive but just the tip of a few polyps stick out not sure why have moved it all over the tank trying to fix it but nothing makes it happy

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Sunshine, take common sense to the next level, if your algae is only on your sand syphon it off and see if it comes back.
Mean while set a shallow small bowl in your sump with new sand to cycle.
If Algae stay off the sand you can replace it in a week with the cycled sand.
By removing the algae you also take away your natural nutrient removing solution.
After removing the algae you test for Po4 and No3 and 12 hrs later you test again if your # stay low or are the same than algae has no nutrients to grow on.
You mentioned that you tested your Po4 and No3 low this is due to the algae as they will take the nutrients before you can detect them.
Makes all sense right?
Also reduce the amount of light intensity and turn down or zero out the red lights as that will be the #1 light algae will grow on.

So a upgrade in the works?!?

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Sunshine, take common sense to the next level, if your algae is only on your sand syphon it off and see if it comes back.
Mean while set a shallow small bowl in your sump with new sand to cycle.
If Algae stay off the sand you can replace it in a week with the cycled sand.
By removing the algae you also take away your natural nutrient removing solution.
After removing the algae you test for Po4 and No3 and 12 hrs later you test again if your # stay low or are the same than algae has no nutrients to grow on.
You mentioned that you tested your Po4 and No3 low this is due to the algae as they will take the nutrients before you can detect them.
Makes all sense right?
Also reduce the amount of light intensity and turn down or zero out the red lights as that will be the #1 light algae will grow on.

So a upgrade in the works?!?

I don't know how I keep missing these posts lol. I have been siphoning the sand more during my weekly wc (and recently bought a new bag to use as replacement as needed but haven't even got around to rinsing it yet). I figured the algae is what it soaking up the nutrients, it's just so odd that my macro doesn't seem to be doing the same at all, it's not like the tank is overrun with algae to suck up all the nutrients. I am not a huge over feeder either. My fish are lucky if they get fed every other day lol. I might electrical tape over the red lights on this tank like I did with the 8 gallon and see if that makes a difference. I have some growth pics I will throw up here after my father in law finishes fixing my dryer (he's a talker haha). The heating element decided to go on the day I had 90 piles of laundry to get done, go figure lol.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how I keep missing these posts lol. I have been siphoning the sand more during my weekly wc (and recently bought a new bag to use as replacement as needed but haven't even got around to rinsing it yet). I figured the algae is what it soaking up the nutrients, it's just so odd that my macro doesn't seem to be doing the same at all, it's not like the tank is overrun with algae to suck up all the nutrients. I am not a huge over feeder either. My fish are lucky if they get fed every other day lol. I might electrical tape over the red lights on this tank like I did with the 8 gallon and see if that makes a difference. I have some growth pics I will throw up here after my father in law finishes fixing my dryer (he's a talker haha). The heating element decided to go on the day I had 90 piles of laundry to get done, go figure lol.

Hand wash.............. for the whole family, that's how I grew up.

No kidding about missing post it happens here too, I just won't get a notification when something new is posted.
We should go back to the good O'll texting ;)
Did you use some extra bacteria as in Stability or any other kind as that can help you work the bioload.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hand wash.............. for the whole family, that's how I grew up.

No kidding about missing post it happens here too, I just won't get a notification when something new is posted.
We should go back to the good O'll texting ;)
Did you use some extra bacteria as in Stability or any other kind as that can help you work the bioload.

I would buy all new clothes every week before hand washing, this girl ain't got no time fo' that lol. I am just as bad with texts, I put my phone on silent when the munchkin is sleeping and then forget to check it all day haha. I have not added any bacteria other then when I first moved everything over to this tank. I can pick up stability at work though if you think it will help.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here's some growth pics. I think it is safe to say that my corals are loving the new light:) these were taken about a month apart, so from right before I switched lights. This one definitely has grown the most.
20160318_194322.jpg

20160421_114227.jpg

20160318_194341.jpg

20160421_114215_001.jpg

I was sure this hydno was a goner after shipping, but it seems to slowly be bouncing back:)
20160319_123928.jpg

20160421_114301.jpg

20160318_220311.jpg

20160421_114729.jpg

Current FTS
20160421_154750.jpg

And just because:)
20160421_155421.jpg

Still using my cell phone even though I finally have a big girl camera. I still suck at taking pics with it, but I am slowly improving with tips from @saltyfilmfolks :D

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy all new clothes every week before hand washing, this girl ain't got no time fo' that lol. I am just as bad with texts, I put my phone on silent when the munchkin is sleeping and then forget to check it all day haha. I have not added any bacteria other then when I first moved everything over to this tank. I can pick up stability at work though if you think it will help.

Do it at night time about a have a dose and turn skimmer off.
6 or 8 hours later turn skimmer back on, make sure you have a large collection cup on your skimmer or drain i a one gallon old milk jug.

Millennials........... I still do the dishes by hand when I'm home even though the Turbo dishwasher :rolleyes:

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it at night time about a have a dose and turn skimmer off.
6 or 8 hours later turn skimmer back on, make sure you have a large collection cup on your skimmer or drain i a one gallon old milk jug.

Millennials........... I still do the dishes by hand when I'm home even though the Turbo dishwasher :rolleyes:
Ok will do:) I do have my skimmer drain into a container, but it's definitely not that big, I can switch it out though. And I have no problems doing stuff the old fashioned way, I just don't have the time these days, plus I hate the way air dried clothes smell and feel lol. What I would give to be a stay at home mom (ok that's I lie,I NEED to work or I would go crazy) But the good news is the dryer is now fixed and now I can play catch up:) I also finally got around to reprogramming the lights, so I bumped up the whites 5%. I'll do the same with the blues next week if I get around to it.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is nice is that a JBJ 45 gallon cube?
Mine has just finishing up cycling added a couple of snails and a starfish well see

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is nice is that a JBJ 45 gallon cube?
Mine has just finishing up cycling added a couple of snails and a starfish well see

Thank you, and it is a marineland tank. I am not sure i will go with them again from others experience, but so far i have had great customer service with them. We will see how i feel about it if my seams go, which seems to be a growing trend with these tanks:(

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is interested i found a pic of my old 120. I am almost embarrassed to post it because of the huge dense, wall of rock, the tangs, and all the tan and pink coral, but we all have to start somewhere, and at the time i thought it looked great:) A lot of changes have been made in this hobby in the past 5 years (and in cell phone pics hahaha)!
photo-1815.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back