ReefWave 45 Setup Questions

Jody Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have 2 ReefWave 45's on my Red Sea XL300. I have them running with a random wave pattern at 20% each. I have two main questions:

1. Is that a good setting for them?
2. I have them placed horizontal near the top of the tank on the left and right side. Is that the best placement for them?

I am open to any suggestions or recommendations for them. Thank you for all of the help.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes, depending on how much wave action there is, 20-30% is probably ideal for your tank size.
2. Yes, that's a good placement. Another option is horizontally along the back on either side of the overflow (I have mine on each side of the tank as well).

If you check out my build thread to the left, I have a link to my ReefWave45 schedule in the first post (I wouldn't run it as high, but it may give you a few ideas).

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
100g IM EXT. I have two 45's on the back wall and an MPQD 40 on the back right side blowing across the bottom. I'm bare bottom, so YMMV. My 45's run a random 100% flow for most of the day and night. Two 100% reverse schedules at 30 minutes each about eight hours apart.

Regarding your settings, I think you would be the best judge to determine if your corals are getting the flow they need. Looks for dead spots where detritus accumulates and keep that in the water column if possible.

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guess the tank is new and without corals? doesn't matter, 20-30% holds mass. Have red sea reefer with reefwave 25.....one piece on one side....

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20230818_194647_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jody Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is a new tank with only fish currently. I wanted to try and get these setup prior to putting in corals. I have attached photos of the tank.

image7.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image10.jpeg

Last edited:

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally, I think I would have put the pumps one notch down in the aquarium. make sure that the pumps do not suck air from the surface. Random flow 30% should hold mass at the start. if you see dirt accumulating in a corner, you may need to adjust a little. but you have two powerful gyros, so 30% should hold mass

OP
OP
J

Jody Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
personally, I think I would have put the pumps one notch down in the aquarium. make sure that the pumps do not suck air from the surface. Random flow 30% should hold mass at the start. if you see dirt accumulating in a corner, you may need to adjust a little. but you have two powerful gyros, so 30% should hold mass
What do you mean by 1 notch down?

AndyJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a new tank with only fish currently. I wanted to try and get these setup prior to putting in corals. I have attached photos of the tank.

image7.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image10.jpeg
Hi. How were your clowns doing in there with your reefwave's at that location and power? I also have 2 reefwave 45 in the same location in my 425 but my pair of clowns seem to be struggling or they just stay up in the back next to the overflow box behind one of the return flow outlets. I have been hearing people say that they can have weird behaviors but I can't help but be concerned. They are also not eating as well as I would like to see.

OP
OP
J

Jody Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi. How were your clowns doing in there with your reefwave's at that location and power? I also have 2 reefwave 45 in the same location in my 425 but my pair of clowns seem to be struggling or they just stay up in the back next to the overflow box behind one of the return flow outlets. I have been hearing people say that they can have weird behaviors but I can't help but be concerned. They are also not eating as well as I would like to see.
Mine are doing fine. How long have they been in the tank? It can take them some time to get acclimated to the tank.

AndyJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are doing fine. How long have they been in the tank? It can take them some time to get acclimated to the tank.
They have been in there since last Friday. I turned the reefwave's down to 10% and they look like they are struggling a little less now. Yes I'm hoping they just need more time and I can get the power turned back up a little to get better flow, especially when I get some coral in there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back