Reelss's 120 Gallon Reef Build

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by reelss, Jan 2, 2018.

1. reelss

reelss Member

Hi everyone,

New to this forum and to saltwater in general. I got a start in the freshwater world about 9 months ago and have had great success in keeping african cichlids. I still have several freshwater tanks, however, a couple of months ago I decided to try my hand at the saltwater world.

I set up a 20 gallon nano reef with a pair of clownfish and some corals, and soon realized that I wanted more. I am really excited to start this thread as I managed to snag a 120 gallon tank today. And so the build starts in earnest.

This thread will allow me to document my journey, but perhaps more importantly let me ask questions and get guidance from you all as I am still fairly new.

Here is what the set up looked like before the original owner took it down:
    upload_2018-1-2_18-44-46.png

upload_2018-1-2_18-44-58.png

Tags:

2. reelss

reelss Member

Build Components:

• Aqueon 120 gallon reed ready tank and stand ($400), came with:
      • 30 gallon sump (may need to be reconfigured)
      • Sea Side Aquatics CS8 Protein Skimmer
      • Sicce PSK1000 Pump
      • Light bar (not sure which ones were these, I'll find out on the weekend)
    Shopping list:

Here's what I got so far:
    1. Lights (thinking about going with 2 AI Hydra 26 HD, but open to suggestions)
    2. Pump (thinking about getting a Jebao DCT8000)
    3. Protein Skimmer (how do you guys feel about the CS8? worth keeping or find something different?)
    4. Powerheads (considering two Jebao RW8s)
    5. Heater (I have a ehiem jager 300 watt heater, might add another)
    6. Rock (considering getting BRS saver dry rock, not sure how much to order)
    7. Sand (open to recommendations)
    8. Plumbing (TBD)
    9. Refugium light (TBD)
    I will definitely appreciate any recommendations on above. I will update as we go along.

3. reelss

reelss Member

Put in the order for the following:
    150 lbs of live rock from Reef cleaners
    Two Jebao SW8 powerheads

The plan is to pick up sand from petco. I am considering 60 pounds of Caribsea Aragonite to give me a shallow bed of substrate. May add more if needed.

I do have some questions:
    1. The tank comes with two overflows with two holes drilled in each and plumbing for durso. Both holes take 1" piping. I would like to use herbie for my overflow. I came across this article that describes some options, and wanted to know which route to go with. Has anyone had experience doing the herbie with two overflows?
    2. Do you guys recommend curing the Reef cleaner rock? My assumption is it comes pre-cured and may require some gentle washing to get the debris off.

Thanks!

I will be adding pictures as I start to assemble this.

4. reelss

reelss Member

Just got the stand delivered. I also picked up a used Trigger sump. The space might be right underneath and getting the protein skimmer in and out will take some maneuvering. Not impossible though.

Plumbing parts are on order. Will try to tackle that next week. Also hoping to pick up some AI Hydras.

upload_2018-1-6_15-11-30.png

5. reelss

reelss Member

Trigger sump I picked up.

upload_2018-1-6_15-11-52.png

Draft saved Draft deleted